Retiring F-117??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Saucisse said:
No match for the French Stealth bomber in the works....

Anyone notice that this tool and fromage have almost identical profiles (in form) and that their join dates are only 2 days apart. I'd bet a case of good old fashion Jack Daniels that their IP's are the same. Any mods wanna take a peek? Troll...

Fromage is quite fake but this story is true...

ca. 1987. After 5 hours of red tape and phone calls, our 4-ship of F-15's from Lahr is cleared over French Airspace so we can get to a real country (Spain) for a couple of nights of revelry; tinto and octopi. We were scooting along at 0.90 mach, maybe 47,000 feet, just entering French airspace. Getting bored.

The frenchie high controller asks in a thick accent, "Hoser flight, vood yew lakk frunch fahters tu intercept yew?" WTF? Say again? "HOSER, VOOD YEW LAK FRENCH FIGHTERS TO INTERCEPT YEW??!!"

"Yeah send 'em up!"

Lead gives the universal "push it up" hand signal... we keep it subsonic but the machmeter on the hud is about 0.99998. All four radars begin to sweep.

We watched the French air defense launch no less than three alert barns during our overflight. Every one of them botched the intercept, falling off our scopes to the right and left as they tried to struggle up to an admittedly high but subsonic target. We did no maneuvering, stayed on the flight plan the whole way. Each of them would have been an AIM-7 pincushion regardless. We laughed our asses off on the #2 UHF.

Spain was satisfying but painful to the health. ;)

Swede said:
We watched the French air defense launch no less than three alert barns during our overflight. Every one of them botched the intercept, falling off our scopes to the right and left as they tried to struggle up to an admittedly high but subsonic target. We did no maneuvering, stayed on the flight plan the whole way. Each of them would have been an AIM-7 pincushion regardless. We laughed our asses off on the #2 UHF.

;)

I saw a documentary on development of the F-22.....during development they challenged the F-15 community to send their best pilots and come out and play-----4 F-15s on 1 F-22 and 8 F-15s on 2 F-22s.....the F-22 won both rounds in under 4 minutes. If the French couldn't intercept a current frontline Warplane, I doubt they have anything that could touch the next generation.

That's an awesome story.....I would have pissed my pants laughing at the French as they bumble around the sky while you are straight and level.

Latest resources

Back