Restaurants and Steakhouses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
awww yeahhhh...

good food. nothing makes a trip better than good food. ask any pilot about his trip and if he had good food at his destination, that is all he will be talking about. not 'yeah was great but that passenger was a twink..' oh no...he will say 'oh it was a great flight. we had this awesome steak at...'

MKC/MCI-yeah people have mentioned the Golden-OX. incredible strip steak. almost ordered another one after finishing the first. but people do forget about 'The Herford House'. also incredible.

STL/SUS-south a ways you get to Lamberts. 'home of the throwed rolls' just hold your hand up and catch a roll thats thrown to you. its no puny roll either its a big puffy hot roll. softball sized. If you call them and tell them youre a pilot and flew in to eat there, they will pick you up and put you in front of the line so you can get in and out faster. theres another one just like it south of...

SGF-springfield. yeah another lamberts here too. its also a bit south of town. same thing. you dont get up. they walk around with big pots of food and give you however much you want. just be careful you dont fall asleep driving back to the airport. and looses your belt two notches.

one of my fav places...Terre Haute IN.-Big Shoe's BBQ. its built around a big brick cooking pit. theres a reason all the best BBQ comes from a condemmned building. just make sure youre not 6'5" when entering this place. the hot is pretty hot.

any KC people here know if Brownie's is still open? south of KC at miami valley apt. great stuff. was there last in 95' i think. the owner then just got lou gherigs. i really hope its still open.

Kingair,

You are right, MSY food ROCKS. I used to love the old employee cafeteria in the airport, but I don't think it's open anymore. Those cajuns working on the ramp wouldn't stand for crappy food! Also, I used to love flying the JFK - MSY - MEX flight for TWA. The best part (well, 10 cent beers at Dino's was pretty good too) was MSY. We only had about a half hour, so one of us would preflight and the other run to Jester's in the terminal and get two orders of red beans and rice with sausage and cornbread. We'd eat like kings on the way to MEX!

Airpirate,

Your places sound great, except for that Golden Ox. You said you almost ordered another steak after finishing the first? Sorry, but that does not sound like a place for me. I don't like a steakhouse if I don't have to unbuckle my pants at the table and put my head down and sleep until I have recovered enough to leave the restaurant! If you feel like you can eat another, well, they just didn't give you enough the first time! That's a sin in my book!

Anyway, I appreciate all the suggestions. I really am going to print these out and keep them in my flightbag. I can't wait to try these places!

Going to Naples tomorrow and going to try Michaelbob's. I'll give a report when I get back.

BIG Texan

yep, AMA has that monstahh steak called "the big texan"...the deal is you give up $50 bones up front, and then you have to finish the 72oz steak, dinner roll, scrimp cocktail, baked potato, and dinner salad within one hour to get your money back.

ground rules

(1) pay first

(2) sit on raised platform in middle of joint so all can bet on the impending outcome (they leave busboy tray at your feet in case you hurl)

(3) steak is brought out, you cut it in fourths and sample one bite. if's its made to your liking, then the next bite of anything on plate hacks the clock and the fight is on.

i actually finished the "meal" back in 97'....back then the record was as follows:

oldest -- 68 yr old grandmom -- low 40s for time !

youngest -- 12 yr old "jethro bodine" lookalike who inhaled it in low 30s !!

worth the try, i didn't have to eat for the following 2 days...

Re: BIG Texan

MoGambo said:
yep, AMA has that monstahh steak called "the big texan"...the deal is you give up $50 bones up front, and then you have to finish the 72oz steak, dinner roll, scrimp cocktail, baked potato, and dinner salad within one hour to get your money back.

ground rules

(1) pay first

(2) sit on raised platform in middle of joint so all can bet on the impending outcome (they leave busboy tray at your feet in case you hurl)

(3) steak is brought out, you cut it in fourths and sample one bite. if's its made to your liking, then the next bite of anything on plate hacks the clock and the fight is on.

i actually finished the "meal" back in 97'....back then the record was as follows:

oldest -- 68 yr old grandmom -- low 40s for time !

youngest -- 12 yr old "jethro bodine" lookalike who inhaled it in low 30s !!

worth the try, i didn't have to eat for the following 2 days...

No dessert? What a ripoff! Seriously, that gave me a stomach ache just thinking about it.

Incedently, the Palm for steaks. All of them are good.

Re: Re: BIG Texan

Boeingman said:
No dessert? What a ripoff! Seriously, that gave me a stomach ache just thinking about it.

Incedently, the Palm for steaks. All of them are good.

All many may well know, not all steaks are created equal... Select, Choice, Choice Angus, and Prime being the one's I know, and I only like the later two...

So what grade of steak is this monster?

Hugh Jorgan.. you disappoint me! ;)

You didn't mention Shorebird Grill in Waikiki. You cook your own steak, all you can eat salad bar. The setup is similar to Duke's, and they give 20% off to airline crews. Can't beat that.

Monstahhh

BM and V7,

actually, when/if you sucessfully finish, they do offer you a chance to write a qoute on the "leader board" and a dessert of your choice...

the "bodine" boy wrote "nice snack !"....

i opted for some coffee vs. the dessert since i still had some driving to do...didn't last long, i was in serious food coma in ~ 2 hours and snoozing in hotel !!

as for quality....a lot better than i expected...it's a sirloin with a huge center section w/ about a 2" outer ring surrounding that ....not much grissle (sp?)...

they actually have a "fat checker" dude who makes sure that it's only skin left from baked potato and no decent meat left on the scarp plate !

HERFORD HOUSE in Kansas City. I hear Oklahoma Joes is a great spot in KC as well.

capt601 said:
[B
ATL & ADS -Fog de Chao

Capt601 [/B]

Right next door to Fogo in ADS is Tokyo One, GREAT sushi go for lunch, all you can eat buffett, real live non English speaking sushi chefs behind the counter. Absolute tops for Japanese waitresses......

Across the street is Ghengis Grill, all you can eat Mongolian BBQ, mmmmmmmm (Ghengis is a chain with locations all through the Metroplex)

Latest resources

Back