Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Food....

Hey guys,

Late to the thread...but I'll chip in with some remarks...

Russ, I've been to that place you mentioned...I think it is called The Flying Beaver...

TPA - Grew up there, so i can attest to Bern's Steak House....awesome!

SAT - Texas Steak House, and Alamo Cafe are very good. Alamo Cafe is also very reasonably priced...but DON'T leave the tortilla's out for more then a couple of days! Also, Pappaduex's (sp?) is really good Cajun food.

MEM - Mmmmm...Corky's BBQ...

Actually, how about some hole in the wall places...or even FBOs that feed you...

ARA - Pelican Aviation...great food...esp Crawdad wednesdays (I think)...and Jambalya on Friday's...

EFD - PETES BBQ just outside the gate...decent food...also full of NASA stuff (Astronaut hangout)...

ABI - Harold's BBQ...or Harlows (other side of town). Harlows has lots of old flying stuff as well...

I'll think of more after I finish dinner...:)

FastCargo

FBO Grub

How bout CWF....

great crawfish etoufee year round ...during normal hours order off menu from 100 out and they'll have it ready for ya before ya land...

not to mention big leather recliners in front of large t.v. with ESPN...free dessert outta the fridge.....zzzzzzzz..snort...zzzzzzzzzz....oops, fell asleep just thinking about it ...

Just got back from Naples with my wife. Tried Michaelbob's. While she thought it was pretty good, I was really disappointed. The ribs were OK, but FAR from the best in the country! I do appreciate the suggestion, however.

We did try a steakhouse called Cloyd's and it was great. The porterhouse was a little small for my liking (only 26 oz), but it was delicious, and the lobster bisque was probably the best soup I have ever had.

Also, a restaurant named Vergina's on 5th avenue was great if you like Italian food.

Enjoy

FlyDeltasJets said:
Forgot one in BOS.

If you have a few hour airport sit, I HIGHLY suggest going to Santarpaio's Pizza. It is fantastic, and close to the airport. Take an airport bus to the "T" (subway) stop, but don't go in. Walk down the stairs and continue straight ahead to the first intersection. Make a right (go over a bridge) and it's about two blocks down on your left. It is kind of a hole in the wall, but I am a firm believer that the worse a place looks on the outside, the better the food is inside.

It's worth the trip, and kills some time. Certainly beats hanging out in the airport.

If you get lost, ask anyone. Every airport worker knows it.

It's great pizza, and the owner is very into boxing, so the old boxing posters on the wall add to the experience.

Enjoy, and keep em coming!
Hey FDJ, I grew up on the West side of Boston and every once and a while my boys and I would drive the 45 minutes across the city and through the tunnel (the toll was only a buck in those days) just to go to Santarpaios (not sure if this is the correct spelling). There are tons of good pizza places on my side of town but non as good as this place. Man this is making me hungery for a good slice. I live in Charlotte now and you cant find a decent pizza down here! (ugh) (nothing but crappy chains)mad: -Bean
:

FlyDeltasJets said:
Just got back from Naples with my wife. Tried Michaelbob's. While she thought it was pretty good, I was really disappointed. The ribs were OK, but FAR from the best in the country! I do appreciate the suggestion, however.

FDJ, I have to agree it's been a few years since I ate at Michaelbob's, but I too was disappointed. Sure they're good ribs, but nothing special. The Luther's chain has better ribs.

My vote for best ribs is Rendevous in MEM!

food

In ATL, it has to be Mortons down by leniox square then after that head down to buck head and look for a bar called chaouas (sp) nice ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek:

Re: food

KATL8R26L said:
In ATL, it has to be Mortons down by leniox square then after that head down to buck head and look for a bar called chaouas (sp) nice ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek:

They have Mortons in a lot of places, I think that over all they are a great product, but at a top price... there are other Prime Steak houses that have same quality for about 1/2 the price..

Another Couple of fine eateries.

To refresh Bobbysamd's memory: The BBQ place that I recommend in DEN is called M&D's Cafe. It's around Downing St. and 32nd I believe. If money is no object and you truly love Italian food, try the Barolo Grill in Cherry Creek near downtown DEN. You will spend $65-120 for 2 people for a simple to a full course dinner with drinks but it is worth it.

My wife is from KC and she says if you like "real" KC style BBQ try Arthur Bryant's (take off your hubcaps and leave the radio at home) on 18th & Brooklyn. Also, try nearby Ruby's Soul Food if that is your sort of thing. Stroud's (highly recommended) was mentioned earlier for fried chicken but also try their pork chops. Definitely try the Golden Ox (steak) near the stock yards.

In Fort Wayne, IN go to Oley's for pizza. Best deep dish anywhere. Also try the shrimp and garlic pizza on cornbread crust at the Munchie Emporium.

MKE has a plethora of good restaurants. For steak try the Prime Quarter. Really close to the airport on Layton Ave. You get to choose your own cut of meat (more than just steak) and grill it yourself over large charcoal pits. The best "fast food" burgers come from Kopp's frozen custard stand. Mader's on Old World 3rd St. has fantastic German food.

Speaking as a Wisconsin native, I know good beer and you can't go to "Beer Town" and not sample some of the local froth. Try microbrews such as Sprecher, Lakefront Brewery, and Cream City Brewery.

Speaking of good microbrews, if you are in the CLE area try a Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold.... mmmmm.... so thirsty.....

Another BBQ note: some of the best ribs I have eaten are at the Tumbleweed Southwest Grill. They have locations in WI, IL, IN, OH, and KY. On Wednesdays they have all you can eat ribs. They are always tender and the meat all but falls off of the bones. Red Hot and Blue is another good BBQ chain for Memphis style BBQ. I have been to their locations from D.C. to Colorado Springs.

You guys that have been to ABQ probably know about Quarter's BBQ on Yale Ave. and also the Route 66 Diner on Central. Little Anita's in Old Town ABQ has fantastic Mexican and New Mexican food.

Okay, I have to stop typing now. I am making myself hungry.

Enjoy,
Skyking

Last edited:
Thought I'd add a couple more...

New York

Katz's Deli - REAL New York Jewish Deli. Pastrami sandwhiches as big as your head. A MUST see!

Papaya King - "The filet mignon of hot dogs!"

Keep em coming!

Latest resources

Back