Restaurants and Steakhouses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyDeltasJets

I LOVE to eat. Love it! One of the best things about being a pilot is trying good restaurants all over the world. Something was said about steakhouses on another thread which gave me an idea.

We should share where the best restaurants are around the country. It will make me hungry, but give me one more thing to look forward to when I get back.

I'll start with just a few off the top of my head

New York

Steakhouses

1. Sparks

2. Peter Luger's (Brooklyn)

3. Smith and Wollensky

Italian

1. Tony's Di Napoli

2. Carmine's

BBQ

Virgil's

Wings

Atomic Wings (found in numerous bars....GREAT wings

Orlando

Steaks:

Charlie's

Atlanta

Bones Steakhouse in Buckhead (I think it's the best in the country)

Boston

Durgin Park (Best Prime Rib in the World! Have the Durgin cut, not that wussy little one)

There are tons more, but I am getting hungry! Someone else take over!

Heck of an idea!

FDJ has a heck of an idea. I also think one of the best things about this line of work is hunting great restaurants, and I'll add a few to the list.

Orlando: Charley's is the steak spot. Linda's La Cantina on Colonial is another decent steak place. Go to Straub's on Colonial for excellent seafood.

Daytona Beach: Try the Chart House or Park's for good seafood. Also very good is Sweetwater's in Port Orange ... right on the Intracoastal.

Raleigh: Angus Barn ... on US 70 right near the north end of RDU.

Lexington: deSha's is right downtown, pretty good American fare.

Louisville: Fifth Quarter Steakhouse is near SDF and good.

Charlotte: Many wonderful restaurants Uptown. Palomino and the Capitol Grille are excellent.

Memphis: Eat some barbecue ... Corky's on Poplar is a great spot, and there's the Rendezvous ... legendary rib dive downtown.

Dallas/Fort Worth: Uncle Julio's has good Mexican. Pappadeaux for some great seafood. The Old San Francisco Steakhouse on Stemmons at Walnut Hill has good steaks and a girl in period costume on a giant swing every hour .. entertaining. Texas Land & Cattle is a chain in the area and has pretty good steaks ... Outback-like prices but a more "local" feel inside.

Houston: There's a place on the North Freeway not too far from IAH called the Atchafalaya River Cafe that had good Cajun food once upon a time ... don't know if it still does or not.

Buffalo: Anchor Bar & Grill ... if you're going to eat Buffalo wings, go to the place that invented them.

Naples, FL: Michelbob's claims to have the "best ribs in America" ... while I don't know if that's true, the chow is pretty good.

If you don't mind chains, PF Chang's has delicious and very inventive Chinese cuisine and locations in many major cities.

Time to eat! Let's keep this thread going ...

R

"Mortons of Chicago" is a great upper scale steak place. I've been to the one in Kansas City. It is better than Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and I think Ruth's is fantastic.

Its down in the city, and the airport is well north of the city so you'll need a ride.

SAV: The Lady and Son's or Mrs Wilkes (tie) The 2 best Southern cookin' places I've tried both happen to be in the same city.

ELP: Forti's (Mexican) Best Pastel de Tres Leches I've had anywhere, including in Mexico.

You are correct, 717, Morton's is another great steakhouse, especially for a chain.

Russ, GREAT job. I am going to be doing searches for this thread when I go back, I can promise you that!

My wife and I are going to Naples this week, I appreciate the Michaelbob's suggestion. I will be sure to try it out. Does anyone know of any others in Naples?

Keep it up, guys!

Michelbobs..

I have made plenty of trips to Michelbobs' in Naples while building time and just for fun. The Barbeque Plater for 2 is a ton of food.

DAYTON, OHIO: The Buckhorn (Ribs)

Toledo, OHIO: The Whitehouse (Prime Rib)

Opa Locka Airport: Shula's in Miami Lakes (Original)

Steaks

Seattle: Jak's.

Better than Ruth's Chris. Better than Morton's. Better than The Metropolitan Grill (another good Seattle restaurant).

The only downside to Jak's is that they don't take reservations and the wait can sometimes be measured in hours.

...Dave

Maybe some former TWA guys can jump in. The hotel we used to stay in ABQ had a great bbq place across the street. I think it was called Ruby's or Rosie's. Anyone remember?

I'll second Michelbobs..

How about KC Masterpiece in St. Louis and Kansas City. Awesome BBQ!!!!

If you like sushi... Todai buffet in LAS is great.

Latest resources

Back