Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
V70T5 said:

BBQ...

a little hole in the wall in the crapy side of town in KC that I cannot remember for the life of me!

If you can remember where it was in the city, I can probably give you the name. It wasn't Smokin' Joes was it?

Being a New York guy, I thought I knew all the good spots in Queens. I will have to give Don Pepe's a try. Thanks!

P.S.
Don't give a red cent to the stratosphere in LAS. carl icahn owns it.

TPA - There is also a Charlie's in TPA close to the airport, great steaks, And Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Bern's does have a tremendous wine list and the steaks are great.

APF - Somebody said Michelbob's in Naples, this place boasts the best ribs in US and they aren't lying, there pretty darn good, but they have strange hours.

Being a New York guy, I thought I knew all the good spots in Queens. I will have to give Don Pepe's a try. Thanks

FDJ- You will not be dissapointed... If it isn't the best Italian food you have ever eaten then I will buy you dinner anywhere of your choice.:cool: - Probably on my top 3 list of ALL time. Ask Don about Travolta and the others that swear by the food-

Don't give a red cent to the stratosphere in LAS. carl icahn owns it.

BUT... IF he was "allowed" to bid on TWA then 75+ years of tradition may still be around present day. I know he screwed the airline and employees once (badly) BUT TWA and a tradition very rich in history possibly would still be here today.. I think Compton really screwed the employees when he accepted the deal. He flies the 80 well but couldn't run the airline. A sad day for many when the TWA colors were lost.

3 5 0

KROC-

Dinosauers. Best **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** BBQ north of the Mason Dixon.
Located right downtown. You can smell it from Blocks away.

As a former TWA guy, I can assure you that icahn did FAR more harm to the company than Compton ever did. And I agree that it was a sad day when their colors disappeared. It was a great place to work, and they will always be special to me. However, let's keep that discussion on another thread. This one is too much fun.

I can't wait to try Don Pepe's.

Keep em coming guys.

I can't believe it took two pages to get someone to list Bern's in Tampa . . . . you guys probably couldn't aviate your way out of a wet paper take-home sack!

Bern's is the best because they:

1) Grow all of their own vegetables on their own hydroponic farm, and the waiters must work there first and learn the whole restaurant from the ground up.

2) You order your steak by cut, weight AND thickness, and they cut it to order. Like your filet to be two-inch butterfly? Fine. Like it to be a four-and-a-half inch-thick monster seared at a temperature that would melt the T-wheel on a JT-8? No problem.

3) Some of you panty-waisted war protesters on this board obviously prefer fish. Don't worry- your fish was not abused in the least; it was happily swimming in one of their 2500 gallon tanks in the kitchen right up until the time you placed your order.

4) They have the largest wine collection in the US, with over 250,000 bottles, some dating back to the 1700's.

5) The Dessert Rooms- a handful of private dessert rooms, each with a direct line to the piano player. They have Cognac available that is even older than some of Delta's most senior galley hags, and available at prices only a Delta heavy skipper could afford, but it takes an AirTran FO living on credit cards to actually order one . . . (Sorry, FDJ, just had to get that one in there).

6) The decor is best described as "Early Bordello", or, "Late DC-9".

7) If the 6 reasons above weren't enough, ask for a tour of the kitchen and the wine cellar, they are happy to provide it, and, if that's not enough to convince you, then just go to Outback, already!

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/bs_frame.htm

TW

Last edited:
Best dinner I've ever had was in Raleigh, NC (RDU). The ANGUS BARN has the best combination of food, atmosphere, and service I've ever had.

Best ribs- the RENDEZVOUS (MEM)

Best Mexican- PAPPASITOS (HOU)

Best Steaks- DEL FRISCO (APA)

For that one in a lifetime meal with your spouce- the FRENCH LAUNDRY (APC), you'll need a resevation about 1 year in advance, but its something you'll never forget (it is after all a 7 course meal).

It is almost breakfast time but I'm hungry for dinner!

SDF - Kunz's, Del Frisco's, and JohnE's
MEM- Rendezvous (unique) and Corky's
BUF- Anchor Bar (wings)
PHL (South Jersey) - The Library, or just about any diner
IND- Lotus Garden
CMH - Crossroad 55
MCO - Charley's, Cariera's, and Rossi's (Pizza)
JLN (Joplin, MO) - Fred and Red's

Denver steak places

501261 said:
Best Steaks- DEL FRISCO (APA)
I'll second that, although I gathered from the discussion we were talking more about local places than chains.

So, if chains are included, the Outback off Arapahoe Road near APA serves a great meal at a fair price. We go to another Outback, in Aurora off I-225, not terribly far from DEN (DIA), at least twice a month. Good BBQ ribs, prime rib, and rack of lamb at the Outback, too. All are a great value.

In the same complex as the Outback in Aurora is a Hops restaurant. It prepares a good steak as well. Last October it ran a steak and bratwurst promotion. Delicious! Only that month for the bratwurst, though.

Trail Dust Steakhouse off I-25 is about two miles away from APA. It serves a good steak and is kind of a landmark. It is NOISY, however.

A lot of people brag about the Denver Chop House, which is downtown near Coors Field. Haven't been there. Pricey. A lot of professional sports team members eat at the Chop House. Not exactly in the typical commuter pilot's budget.

Some people like Ruth's Chris downtown. We have not tried it. I hear it's overrated.

I wrote about Sonoda's above for sushi. Sonoda's also serves a first-class filet mignon.

Texas Roadhouse in Arvada serves a good steak, too. Not terribly far from BJC.

Bon appetit!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back