Resigning from ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez O. Lewshun said:
The agenda of the association is available for its members. Always has been. When our LEC officers told the membership they were going to the ALPA BOD...they couldn't even get everyone to stop talking to be heard...

Look, I am not saying the National salaries are right or wrong, but if it really mattered you guys wouldn't wait for the message boards to tell you about it, then claim you were kept in the dark until now! C'mon, you're pilots, take some repsonsibility.....

The industry is imploding on the pilots and the big issue is union salaries?? WTFO? After you fix them, then what? What is next?

Get involved... look in the mirror.....
Geez, I seem to get posted messages a few times a month from the MEC Chairman, Vice Chairman, and others holding office. I can guarantee you that 90%+ of ALPA members were not aware of National salaries. I suggest that the isssue should be discussed in the next issue of Airline Pilot, think that will ever happen? Just keep sending your dues, have faith, right!

The problem I see with the unity issue is that it assumes that we all want the same things, or even something clse to the same things.

Suppose all the alpa pilots got together and decided we were finally going to 'do something'. Even if we could agree on what action to take, how could we all agree on when to 'settle'.

The "all or nothing" folks are maybe 10-20% of the group
The "most of what we wanted" group maybe 60%
The "oh my god, I can't lose my job just sign the dang TA!!" group - remaining 20% or so.

We are all going to "cave in" at different points, so could we ever be really unified? I really wonder about this.

Last edited:
FoxHunter said:
Geez, I seem to get posted messages a few times a month from the MEC Chairman, Vice Chairman, and others holding office. I can guarantee you that 90%+ of ALPA members were not aware of National salaries. I suggest that the isssue should be discussed in the next issue of Airline Pilot, think that will ever happen? Just keep sending your dues, have faith, right!
as I said, if it was a big issue, you would have found out on your own accord instead of the message boards... (cause you really concern yourself with ALPA Affairs!:rolleyes: )

But now that you know, call your MEC and ask.... Find out why and maybe it will make sense. Or maybe you can find out how to change it.....

TonyC said:
Not all contracts are created equal.
Isn't that ALPA's biggest problem? Some are more equal than others, but then there is always somebody out there that will do it for less pay.

CommanderHoek said:
I love how ALPA will now try to convince the bankruptcy court and the PBGC that the pensions should be wiped out and left for the tax payers. I thought the United guys/gals were the strongest of the bunch and like a deck of cards they fold. I for one don't want to be left holding the bag for failed ideas and greed.

I got a better idea then. How about the UAL pilots fight the company despite the checkmate position they are in, and guarantee a CH7? It is guaranteed, by the way, since all the potential financial instituions have clearly stated that exit financing will not be available without the elimination of the pension plans. Then, you the taxpayer can still bail out the PBGC and you can help pay unemployment benefits for the 65,000 employees that wake up one day all out of work at the same time? Sound good to you genius?

sleepy said:
Isn't that ALPA's biggest problem? Some are more equal than others, but then there is always somebody out there that will do it for less pay.
I'd say it's a strength. If every airline was identical, then I suppose the contracts could be identical. However, what works for Delta might not work for United, and most probably would not work for FedEx. What works for FedEx might be totally unacceptable at NorthWest. MECs negotiate contracts, not ALPA national. ALPA national provides expertise and resources, but ultimately it's the folks the pilots elect that do the work.

ALPA national is an easy target if you're discontented, but your arrows should be aimed closer to home.

I'm Wrong again, as usual...

I stand corrected, fedex was not an alpa carrier when I was a gung ho union volunteer/negotiator. I should have said "every carrier on the planet except fedex has agency shop". Merry New Year! Beef Jerky?

TonyC said:
I'd say it's a strength. If every airline was identical, then I suppose the contracts could be identical. However, what works for Delta might not work for United, and most probably would not work for FedEx. What works for FedEx might be totally unacceptable at NorthWest. MECs negotiate contracts, not ALPA national. ALPA national provides expertise and resources, but ultimately it's the folks the pilots elect that do the work.

ALPA national is an easy target if you're discontented, but your arrows should be aimed closer to home.
I no longer have a dog in this fight, but as a former ALPA member looking at this from the outside I must say that ALPA really has nobody to blame for this mess but themselves. ALPA allowed the codesharing, then allowed two levels of representation (the haves and the have-nots). Now market forces are dictating pilot pay and benefits based on the lowest bidder.

What you really need is a national contract that sets an industry standard for each segment of the industry. Of course this will only work if ALPA controls the majority of the labor commodity.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back