Resigning from a Major Airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bally,

Every job has it's down points, and SWA is no exception. It's a GREAT job, but it's still a job.

The flying is similar to the commuter flying I did for 10 years prior to SWA. Is it monotonous? Probably, but the trick is to not make your job your entire life. I have a "few" hobbies (OK, more than a few!) that keep my mind occupied on those long legs, and my days off. This job allows me to afford them, and gives me the time to enjoy them.

My advice is to find a hobby that you really enjoy doing, and indulge in it on your days off. The monotony of the job will take care of itself.

It's amazing how much better your life gets when you start getting decent lines (3 on 4 off). Double the goodness if you don't commute!

Just my $.02........

Want perspective? Go downtown...anywhere. Look in the offices, the stores, the goverment facilities...and ask how many folks you'd trade jobs with.
Amen.

My wife and I were discussing some of the positives and negatives of all the different flying jobs today at lunch. Seems there are quite a lot things to think about when considering where you would like to spend working the rest of your life.

I don't fly for a major, I don't even fly a big airplane, but I have been flying the same three legs for the last three years. It is mind numbing. I took up going back to school as way to pull my head out of the doldrum cloud. It's an accomplishment that may pay dividends in the future as well, but I did it as more of a way of getting mental stimulation outside of work.

I agree with you Bally...I see where flying scheduled is a rut, but in my rut the offset has been job stability, a pay check I can count on and the rare situation of knowing my schedule a year in advance. I don't think I could go back to on demand type flying, even if the pay doubled. (ask me that again next year, when my gravy 12 day a month, no RON's schedule goes out the window and they got me flying those same 3 legs 20 days a month!!!).

I also agree with you on the thought of finding a job where you could combine flying and working within a company...something that pays more than the average flying job and something a little more rewarding than doing the same thing, day in and day out. This was something the wife and I were discussing today as well...so I guess you aren't the only pilot thinking like this.

Back in my time building era, I worked as a mechanical assembler and field service tech. I used to get the company to let me fly solo field service trips in a Cherokee Six and I would try to get them to let me fly as many trips as I could arrange in a turbo-charged 300 series Cessna twin. It was a lot of fun and sometimes a lot of hard work, but it was really satisfying. I'd love to find the right company that was interested in working me into a position where I could pull down some serious jing, fly a nice turbine plane and excell within the company. I think in the right situation this could be a dream job...finding or creating it, is the battle.

Good luck to you Bally...give it some time, you are sitting in a pretty good spot to go and leave, over being bored of routine. Maybe over time, you'll adjust to your new position.

Last edited:
Bally-
Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.

I've got so many hobbies that it really bugs me when the company calls me in two or three days a month to go fly.
You have the greatest job in the world, because it allows you FLEXIBILITY.
Ever notice how many hotties are in the grocery store at 2:00 p.m. on a Tuesday?
If you had a real job, you WOULDN'T KNOW, because you'd be at work, not buying beer and steaks.
I know Baltimore was only exciting the first hundred times you went there, but bring a laptop-write a book, learn to draw. Make lists of places you'd like to take your wife, enjoy your overnights, and enjoy your time at home.

Flying is sometimes work, and work is not fun, or it would be called fun, not work.

68pilot
"givin' the man the finger since 1989"

Nothing beats fly-fishing on a Tuesday morning. Match the hatch in the spring, summer and, and fall. Home improvement projects in the winter (or keep fishing if you live south of I-70). There's no one in any store all week. Ever go to Home Depot on a Saturday morning? That alone keeps me flying.

Try working with the same people, day after day, ad-infintum. That jerk in the cubicle next to you, slurping his/her soup, will get even more annoying than the jackas$ you're sitting next to for only 4 days.

This job is just a job. Stiff crosswinds, lines to navigate around, and "nice landing!" are some of what keep me coming back. I'm lucky enough to have a weekend or two off every month, and I love getting stuff done and having time to myself during the week.

I will add, however, please quit. Even if I don't get on at SWA, one of my more senior cohorts here might, giving me an even better schedule. Best of luck with your decision. No matter what you decide, try fly-fishing.

Lot's of good posts and interesting perspectives in this thread. Why not give it some time. Airline flying takes some adjustment. If you look at it like a job you're going to do for a couple of years rather than 20 it might seem a lot more bearable while you adjust or make a decision to move on. We have a lot of opportunity in this country to be thankful for. I imagine you're other employment opportunities would also be very positive for you, perhaps in a different way than SWA is. Be thankful for having the ability to make a choice like that. Good luck.

I just recently quit my job at AWA to be a full-time Longshoreman. (previous TWA/AA) No regrets, home every day w/my family and the opportunity to make more money than I ever have with the airlines.

Good luck to all,

Longie

Last edited:
AlbieF15 said:
Actually, for the last 2 1/2 years I've tried to encourage a large number of FedEx pilots to wake up and smell the coffee, and realize that working this tough, back side of the clock lifestyle was slowly killing their health, their family life, and any remaining spirit left in their soul.

The fact is getting up to go to work when all you do is fly cargo around for the profit of the company and the covenience of the hoards of procrastinators out there is simply a waste of a livlihood. Where is the joy? I think almost anyone in the industry, especially those with a seniority number larger than, lets just say 4000 or so, ought to consider the horrible impact this mindless job can have on one's future!

I try to remind those guys regularly of all the other great opportunties that await them just beyond those bleak, purple walls and midnight arrivals into the hub, followed only by the post dawn arrival into yet another carcinogen filled industrial town with a mediocre hotel bed that is slowly destroying their spines. I encourage them regularly to stay young and vibrant by attacking life with gusto, and taking on such adrenalin pumping sports as motorcyle riding (without helments), hang gliding, free diving, bungee jumping, white water kayaking (without lifejackets...they bind and ruin the wilderness experience), raising pit bulls, and donating their free time walking through middle eastern cities as American "ambassadors of goodwill".

Bally, I'm looking forward to us getting our offline jumpseats back so you can join us in the hub and spread your insights to the rest of our crew force. God bless you in your efforts...
Holy smokes! That's one of the most interesting/humorous posts I've read in a long time. I like your writing style--you should do a column in a newspaper!

Airline flying is not a job for the visionary or creative, that is for sure.

It is a job for the dilligent and responsible and determined. And independently wealthy. And dorks. And guys thinking that they are gonna get some tail.

Uuuummmm, yeah - You know we're putting cover sheets on all of the TPS reports now, right? So if you could just do that, it would be great - thanks.

Latest resources

Back