Resigning from a Major Airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bally

While there are many perks working for an airline (no in-baskets, phone calls to return at the end of the day, etc) I am wondering if I am the only one out there that is surprised to find that this job may not be right for me.

After being in the business world for most of my professional life, I did the proverbial career change and became a pilot. After being with a major airline for a little over one year, I am wondering how I could do this for the next 20 years.

While the airline I fly for is awesome, I am finding that the life of the airline pilot is filled with sometimes mind numbing monotony. Flying what seems like endless legs one after the other.

Contributing to the monotony is the fact that there are no high points like winning a contract in the business world after months of strategizing a plan. I guess flying a particularly challenging leg through wx can be interesting, and the culture and people at the airline are great; most of the time is rather benign.

Is it rear for someone who has been fortunate to have been given a job with a major airline to leave? Anyone else share my view? What am I missing? Perhaps I just do not have the airline pilot gene.

Ernest Gann left as did Gene Roddenberry.

A good friend of mine was hired by jetBlue a few months ago and turned down the job because he is doing something he likes better. He has found a way to combine flying airplanes and being in business for himself.

I think a lot of guys get to the point you are at, but they don't have other options to make the kind of money or have the lifestyle that a job at a major can provide.

In the end you have to do what makes you happy.

Typhoonpilot

Bally,

The airline profession is not for everyone. As well as being in the business world is not one of my preferences. All of my non-airline friends constantly harass me on what appears to them to be a pretty easy lifestyle us pilots seem to have. We all know that they don't see up hand the challenges we face with our profession. But personally I can't imagine doing anything else that gives me such satisfaction. I truly feel blessed. As well as anyone that truly enjoys their line of work would feel.

Nobody lives in your shoes so no way could anyone know what is best for you. We all know how competitive the pilot profession can be. But if your not happy, life is too short to do something your not happy with.

SWAdude:cool:

Bally,

I feel your pain. I'm having adjustment issues of my own, having recently left a corporate gig I loved to go to an airline.

Perhaps doing some things on the side will help? Maybe starting your own business will do the trick.

I could definitely see where someone might harbor thoughts of moving on.
I love flying and I like my job. However, I sometimes think about what it would be like to be home very night, etc. It would sure make the home life easier and life in general a bit more stable. In ways maybe more relaxing since you are not running around like crazy from plane to plane, airport to airport, hotel to hotel. The drawbacks of a 'real' job are rush hour traffic, less time off (if not more time at home), etc. I could not handle an office job either. That's the thing...what to do other than fly? I have been in aviation all of my adult life.
I agree with that above, just do what makes you happy. For me, for now, it's flying. However, one day I may move on.

Bally,

As English said, do something on the side to provide some diversity and balance.

What I can tell you from having known a few people who cut bait from major airlines, you don't want to look back from your mid 50's and regret having left the airline ( particularly a successful one ) under the influence of a relatively short-term variation in your attitude towards that flying. THAT would be mind-bending and could produce a lifetime of regret.

If your carrier is doing well, hang in there and add something different on the side. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

life

There are no rules on what makes you feel satisfied nor what type life you want. There are those who like and are comfortable with the routine and relative stability.

Others thrive on the new challenges that come with doing something relatively different everyday.

In the end, you can have someone elses all and have nothing at all.

Just as someone elses cross can look more attractive to carry than the one you have, you might find it heavier or less comfortable than the one on your own back. The one you have is unique because it is yours.

Actually, for the last 2 1/2 years I've tried to encourage a large number of FedEx pilots to wake up and smell the coffee, and realize that working this tough, back side of the clock lifestyle was slowly killing their health, their family life, and any remaining spirit left in their soul.

The fact is getting up to go to work when all you do is fly cargo around for the profit of the company and the covenience of the hoards of procrastinators out there is simply a waste of a livlihood. Where is the joy? I think almost anyone in the industry, especially those with a seniority number larger than, lets just say 4000 or so, ought to consider the horrible impact this mindless job can have on one's future!

I try to remind those guys regularly of all the other great opportunties that await them just beyond those bleak, purple walls and midnight arrivals into the hub, followed only by the post dawn arrival into yet another carcinogen filled industrial town with a mediocre hotel bed that is slowly destroying their spines. I encourage them regularly to stay young and vibrant by attacking life with gusto, and taking on such adrenalin pumping sports as motorcyle riding (without helments), hang gliding, free diving, bungee jumping, white water kayaking (without lifejackets...they bind and ruin the wilderness experience), raising pit bulls, and donating their free time walking through middle eastern cities as American "ambassadors of goodwill".

Bally, I'm looking forward to us getting our offline jumpseats back so you can join us in the hub and spread your insights to the rest of our crew force. God bless you in your efforts...

Last edited:
Do you think you could return to your previous BBJ job? I have been around these boards long enough to remember your decision making process from the great BBJ gig to your current situation. I remember it well...

My furlough has opened up a new door for me because now I am seeing more of the non-airline flying experience. It is very different and it might be a bit of a transition to return to airline flying someday.

It doesn't surprise me that the current flying you are doing can be monotonous and uninspiring vs. your previous position. You work for a great airline, but "security" alone cannot always inspire you to get up every morning. That must be quite a revelation for you - flying is actually hard work sometimes. Quick turnarounds and 6-7 legs per day for multiple days can be difficult - probably more difficult than some of the LA - Paris runs you used to do...

If you can get back to your previous BBJ gig, I would certainly look into it or follow one of your other passions. Sure, there is something to be said for security, but life is too short to be bored all the time...

Good luck

Last edited:
Bally,

I understand where you're coming from, but you really need to ask yourself, if you do leave, how will you feel about your decision a month from now? A year from now? Will you look longingly at every airplane that passes overhead? Or will you be able to honestly say, "I sure don't miss that!"

If you do leave, make darn sure it's really what you want. Getting to a major airline is not something you're likely to be able to do a second time, if you decide later that you made a mistake.

Latest resources

Back