Resigning from a Major Airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On Your Six

I was joking about the A320. I remember that Bally wasn't happy about the airlines using it. I could be wrong but i remember thinking that we would still be flying DC8 (*) if it wasn't for some competition in the manufacturing business.

Hoping that Bally could find the LUUUUUUUUUUUV....just have to look in the right place. It's there man...all around you :p.

Good luck to you my friend

(*)The DC8's fuel Xfeed valve is controlled by cable via a lever about the size of the landing gear lever on the 73. Fuel burn of about 12000lbs/hr on the early version. However, the electrical system autoparalleling was very advanced for the time if i recall.

Check into whether SWA has a leave of absence program. That way you could try doing something else without losing your seniority number.

I would think long and hard before I gave up my seniority number.

This is just the thread I needed to read this week. Thanks. Albie and Heavy Set have some good insight.

Last edited:
I was terminated from my first corporate job because I was was not comfortable schlepping to the specialty dog store before each trip to get the boss's dog her favorite dog biscuits.

That's ridiculous. I'm surprised you waited to get fired from that job. I probably would have quit. When I hear about frac guys who have to occasionally clean the lavatories in their Citations, I wince. But to be degraded to being a "dog-servant"... that takes the cake.

I wish Bally luck. If I were Bally, I'd check to see if he could get back to his BBJ job before making any rash decisions. If he stays with SWA, at least he will be confident that the paycheck will arrive on time - a lot of us don't have that luxury...

Let us know what happens.

do 6 months over at A&W. that'l cure ya. you would be so happy when you got back to WN you would drive the lav truck for free on the weekends!

Once upon a time......

a older gentlemen in the biz world said to me.....

"if you can, never make a job change in less than five years, because it takes that long to really feel out the job and make yourself marketable for anyone who who hire you."

While that is not always an option in aviation, I try and take it and another principle, "Not making big changes during a time of weakness." to heart and try and be discerning with those things in mind.

I've flown good corp. and good airline, and you are very right about both having their strengths and weaknesses. For me it's ultimately my priority to gain the greatest income for the least time worked, which I think isn't lazy just efficient, that drives me to my particular airline and flight schedule. Too that end, I don't typically pick up much open time or accept Field Emergency work because it drastically cuts in on my family time. One day, when the girls are older, maybe, but not now, and we budget and live quite well on that.

In order to continue to enjoy some of the corp type flying though, hedge my bets against, the ever possible evaporating airline jovb and to keep my hand in an area that might provide some continued flying beyond age 60, I am checking out ina G-II that I will fly 4 day trips a month in. I'll be gone before the family get's up and home for supper, providing some relief work for the full time pilots. Shouldn't really cut in to the family much, but, then again, I don't play a lot of golf, or fish, or hunt. Love to do all of em, just don't take the time away from the family to do it right now.

Flying is an enjoyable way to make a living most days, and for us, that's for US, my family, it's what we choose for now. May not always, but, the bottom line it serves our priorities, and hopefully will continue to.

With all that in mind, just be carefull man. You worked hard to get there. Nothing this side of eternity is going to totally satisfy all of your daily desires for significance and competence in your work. You might be able to find a side job in aircraft sales or flying corporate fill in work. Or, if you find the job itself not that a great a challenge to do well, then maybe seek out ways to pass on your knowledge and expertise to others or maybe find a way to be involved in other people's life in a charitible way to people in need. Let your job support your passions so to speak.

I know that was long winded. Just another perspective to add to the pile. Hope either way, you find what's right for you.

Hang in there.

"When the going get's tough, the tough get going.......and the rest go into management."

Bally, which road did you decide to take?

"...and donating their free time walking through middle eastern cities as American "ambassadors of goodwill"....

That was hilarious :)

You need a hobby...

AlbieF15 says --I How many airline pilots have dropped or traded trips here or there to have a needed week off with family or extended their skiing or SCUBA vacation somewhere?
BINGO! This here is the key: flexibility.

EVERY month I trade and drop and have at least one week in a row off. That is half of my 9-5 (or actually 7-7) neighbors' YEARLY vacations! If I didn't make such a good scratch margarita and have an inground pool, they'd burn down my house!

I am setting up the end of September/begining of October to drop just a two day and have 16 days off. Hitching up the travel trailer, loading up the kids (homeschooled), dog, cat, and...oh yeah, the wife to see what Northern Wisconsin has to offer this time of year.

At the end of the line it won't matter what you flew or where you've been. But the time off to make memories with your family make it all worth while.

Try to look at flying as a means to an end. Doing something you love so you can go do something with those you love.

Choose carefully Bally...

Unit

Latest resources

Back