• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Resigning before hitting the line?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chances are, your instructor has some issues of his own.. Dont let his bad attitude ruin yours. Good Luck

I have to agree with you guy's, this is probably the best thread (in terms of support) I have read on this site. This guy is being completely honest with everyone about his problem, he is not blaming anyone but himself.

I've also noticed the guy's who have replied, don't really "stir the pot" that much anyway.

Hey man, good luck to you................just stick with it! You have nothing to lose unless you feel you have nothing to gain.

For future reference, the autopilot can handle that descent rate and level off. It's not there to lead you around, it's another piece of equipment to use. You still control the inputs just monitor the thing and relax. Trust me, after 4000+ in the right seat of the Swedish blender, you'll enjoy the autopilot.

Stick it out. It is certainly not uncommon to have these thoughts as you go to work for a new company and unfamiliar aircraft. Whatever you were doing before, you were probably very good at, and you won't fly this aircraft to a standard set by your own expectations for a while. This will be somewhat draining both physically and emotionally. You will, however, soon transition into a period where you enjoy learning to fly this new aircraft to your own (higher) standard.

I do new hire IOE usually twice a month. How good or bad they perform during that period is reaaly not indicative of the kind of captain they will be 5-6 years from now. If they have a good attitude and they are learning and making progress, the rest will take care of itself.

Remember, we are all student pilots.

CR

Also, how they do things on the line versus training is completely different. If I only had a nickle for each time my IOE captain said, "They taught you that in training?"

The learning really starts once you hit the line.

Gosh, this is a good thread. I've screwed up so many things and super-over-analyzed them forever. I guess that's why we do the job and the accident rate is so low overall...we are hard on ourselves and STRIVE for perfection all the time.

We also tend to hold others, rampers, managers, instructors and the guy at Chik-Fil-A to that same standard we hold for ourselves. And isn't it frustrating when others aren't perfect...even those instructors.

Hang in there pal...we are our own worst critics and you are doing a great job criticizing yourself. That's the sign of a pro...

A wise person told me once..."keep showing up for work until somebody tells you not to."
I hope I get to fly with you someday...you will be great.

Hello,
I agree wholeheartedly with what is being said here by people. Keep in mind that all the people that have responded have walked a few miles in the same pair of shoes you are wearing. Good pilots aren't born they are trained. Sure, certain people have some God-given talent and just flat outperform the norm. I wish I was one of those people, however, I am not and have to work at it.
I had a "not-so-fun" experience during my I.O.E. and felt that I was barely qualified to fly a kite let alone a 17,000lbs. turboprop. But, I learned alot and maintained a professional demeanor. This is paramount! Not matter how crappy it gets, no matter how pissed off you might feel. You must maintain your self-discipline and above all your professional attitude toward your fellow employees and duties. Not always an easy thing to do somedays. It will get better out on the line, and you will begin to enjoy yourself and if you are lucky enough to fly with the Captains I fly with. You'll have an environment to make some mistakes and learn what and what-not to do in everyday ops.
Stay in the books...Yeah, I know it's boring to look over the manuals when you would rather be doing other things. But, make time to study a couple of hours a week. Do everything possible to improve your basic aircraft handling skills. Not tough to do in a Beech 1900:) handfly all the way everyday! If it's not contrary to company policy don't use the flight director when hand-flying. The flight director is a great piece of equipment, but don't let it become a crutch.
Best of luck to you my friend...Hang in there and don't quit...That stigma will be like the proverbial albatross following you around.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

eatsleepfly:

you will come across many captains, who for one reason or another are malcontents. they'll want to teach you to fly instead of letting you learn and get used to the airplane. the best way,( i repeat) the best way to diffuse their animosity is to blow hot air up their a$$. compliment them, stroke their fragile little egos. they never got chosen to play at recess when they were kids, so now they beat up on fos.

never let them see you sweat! carry on , you'll do fine. this will all be water under the dam in a few weeks.

climbhappy said:
eatsleepfly:

you will come across many captains, who for one reason or another are malcontents. they'll want to teach you to fly instead of letting you learn and get used to the airplane. the best way,( i repeat) the best way to diffuse their animosity is to blow hot air up their a$$. compliment them, stroke their fragile little egos. they never got chosen to play at recess when they were kids, so now they beat up on fos.

never let them see you sweat! carry on , you'll do fine. this will all be water under the dam in a few weeks.
OR (after IOE)....dig deep and find minute details about the aircraft or operation and ask the difficult Captain for help understanding these "important" details. After a few blank stares from the CA about details they do not understand they'll either be pissed off or will lay off. Either way is OK with me.

Last edited:
I'm glad you've decided to give it some time. In my experience, you'll always have cause to regret or rethink any rash decisions you make in the heat of the moment. Let yourself calm down for a few months and fly with line pilots before you really consider leaving. I think no matter where you are, you'll find the line pilots to be of a different breed than anyone in the training department. I think a lot of instructors become instructors because they are weak pilots or have small man's complex and want a position where they can demand respect from people. Don't let them get you down.

Latest resources

Back