• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Resigning before hitting the line?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alright, I'm going to stick with it. Thanks for the advice and encouragement. If I hadn't posed this question on here and gotten your support, I may well have made a big mistake and walked away. I was ready to last night.

Thanks again...I'll post an update once I get to IOE in a few days.

Wow,

A constructive thread! Awesome.

Eatsleepfly, Please don't quit. If you walk away from this now, you'll never have any confidence when things get tough in the future. You havn't even done any line flying yet and your convinced you no longer want to be an airline pilot? Dude, you have no idea what the job is going to be like, and you owe it to yourself to go find out.

There will come times in your career as a professional pilot where you'll have to "step up to the plate" and perform. No excuses, no feeling sorry for yourself. Just 110% effort. Make this one of those times.

Here's a story. I spent several years instructing, mostly in antique aircraft on VFR days. When I got a freight dog job flying Caravans, the instrument portion of the training was very difficult. I almost didn't get recommended. It would have been easy to cop an attitude and walk away, but I chair flew the heck out of the maneuvers, and passed the PC not only avoiding any mistakes, but being mentally ahead of the airplane the whole time. That was 20 some checkrides and two type ratings ago, and I've never had a problem since.

Dude, go for it! Need more encouragement? Heck brother, give me a call! (Check your e-mail notification of this thread response for the number, or PM me.)

Last edited:
LJDRVR said:
Wow,

A constructive thread! Awesome.

Eatsleepfly, Please don't quit. If you walk away from this now, you'll never have any confidence when things get tough in the future. You havn't even done any line flying yet and your convinced you no longer want to be an airline pilot? Dude, you have no idea what the job is going to be like, and you owe it to yourself to go find out.

There will come times in your career as a professional pilot where you'll have to "step up to the plate" and perform. No excuses, no feeling sorry for yourself. Just 110% effort. Make this one of those times.

Here's a story. I spent several years instructing, mostly in antique aircraft on VFR days. When I got a freight dog job flying Caravans, the instrument portion of the training was very difficult. I almost didn't get recommended. It would have been easy to cop an attitude and walk away, but I chair flew the heck out of the maneuvers, and passed the PC not only avoiding any mistakes, but being mentally ahead of the airplane the whole time. That was 20 some checkrides and two type ratings ago, and I've never had a problem since.

Dude, go for it!

Yeah, what he said.

Last edited:
I must say, I have a newfound respect for flightinfo. When I initially posted this, I figured I'd get flamed to a crisp. Instead, I've gotten more encouragement than I ever could have imagined. All of your advice probably will have saved my career. Beer's definitely on me if I ever run into any of you somewhere. Thanks again!

No, we are all in this together. You joined a club and we want you to have a good time in it. You'll love the line.

One thing I have to say is this. Getting an unsat on a checkride is in no way a show stopper for your career. If you quit, then you might set yourself up later on in life.

The training phase of training is just a small part of the airlines. Once you get out on line, the people you meet and have the honor of flying with will certainly make up for your reservations now. Although it might be hard to brush it off (seems like it from your post's) move on and have a ball.

You'll kick yourself months from now for turning down a chance at giving the 121 world a try.

Do your IOE please......

EatSleepFly said:
I must say, I have a newfound respect for flightinfo. When I initially posted this, I figured I'd get flamed to a crisp. Instead, I've gotten more encouragement than I ever could have imagined. All of your advice probably will have saved my career. Beer's definitely on me if I ever run into any of you somewhere. Thanks again!
See, we may be a rabid pack of wolves, but we have our moments!

Your making the right descision. Don't let one rogue IP ruin your time there.

Enjoy the rock!! :D

EatSleepFly,

My significant other is a check airman at your airline. I've seen situations like yours so many times before - it is not a rarity.

The check airmen out on the line are much more relaxed than the instructors in the sim and the school house. So, be prepared and do your best to avoid a third strike.

However, if something starts going wrong, and you can't fix it - TALK TO YOUR CHECK AIRMAN early. If you have a good attitude, they'll help you through anything. If it seems you are just not cut out for this, talk to your captain about signing you off as an incomplete, then resign on your own - if it comes to that. Better to have an incomplete than an unsat, because at least then you can resign instead of be fired.

Latest resources

Back