• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reserve at SWA...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Given that upgrade could be a long way off for both RSW and FAT FO's;, is SWAPA working on extending the FO pay with regard to years of service? Or at least considering a cost of living increase for each additional year?

Given that upgrade could be a long way off for both RSW and FAT FO's;, is SWAPA working on extending the FO pay with regard to years of service? Or at least considering a cost of living increase for each additional year?

They actually did that during the last contract. Traditionally, after the first year or two, FOs got paid 60% to 2/3 of the same amount of years' CA pay. I believe that's common industry standard. In the last contract, recognizing the time of ultra-quick upgrades were probably over, the union "bought" higher percentages for senior FOs. We took only 2% annual COLA raises (some variable tied to profitability) instead of the 3% the FAs got in their contract in order to push senior FOs base rates up to 70% of CA rates.

I don't think there's a consensus for lengthening the FO payscale beyond the same 12 steps it's been, as many would see that as a concession to the company (it "takes longer" to get to the top), and in fact other union groups have been working to get their scale shortened to closer to ours, for this very reason.

Also, after spending negotiating capital last time specifically to help senior FOs, I doubt you'll see focus on that same group again. This time, the negotiators are pressing to better reserve rules (help the most junior of both seats), along with retirement and total compensation, which benefit everybody.

My personal opinion is that this is a good process, and that for all the bitching people do, this shows that the "Southwest spirit" is still actually alive (Dan Roman's opinion notwithstanding! :) ). After hearing other pilot groups bitching about their seniors "getting theirs" and screwing the juniors in new contracts, it's somewhat refreshing to hear that here you have pilots across the spectrum giving up overall gains, in order to help recognized disadvantaged minority groups in the union. Last time it was to help the top 25% of FOs; this time they're focused on the bottom 10% of each seat.

Bubba

They actually did that during the last contract. Traditionally, after the first year or two, FOs got paid 60% to 2/3 of the same amount of years' CA pay. I believe that's common industry standard. In the last contract, recognizing the time of ultra-quick upgrades were probably over, the union "bought" higher percentages for senior FOs. We took only 2% annual COLA raises (some variable tied to profitability) instead of the 3% the FAs got in their contract in order to push senior FOs base rates up to 70% of CA rates.

I don't think there's a consensus for lengthening the FO payscale beyond the same 12 steps it's been, as many would see that as a concession to the company (it "takes longer" to get to the top), and in fact other union groups have been working to get their scale shortened to closer to ours, for this very reason.

Also, after spending negotiating capital last time specifically to help senior FOs, I doubt you'll see focus on that same group again. This time, the negotiators are pressing to better reserve rules (help the most junior of both seats), along with retirement and total compensation, which benefit everybody.

My personal opinion is that this is a good process, and that for all the bitching people do, this shows that the "Southwest spirit" is still actually alive (Dan Roman's opinion notwithstanding! :) ). After hearing other pilot groups bitching about their seniors "getting theirs" and screwing the juniors in new contracts, it's somewhat refreshing to hear that here you have pilots across the spectrum giving up overall gains, in order to help recognized disadvantaged minority groups in the union. Last time it was to help the top 25% of FOs; this time they're focused on the bottom 10% of each seat.

Bubba

I'm confused. That actually makes sense. All the leadership should be recalled.

The other part of the equation that nobody is mentioning is this...

If it's commutable on both ends, it's probably not going to pay very well. I like good overnight cities just like everyone else. But in the end, I come to work to make as much money as possible for the time away from home...period. Whether you commute or not.

Others might not see things the same as I do and that's their deal. I'd rather have it commutable on one end and pay more than commutable on both ends with low pay.

Do you commute?

Not anymore.

I commuted coast to coast for almost two years. It's all personal choice.

Whether you like the SW built lines or not....it's what we have.

Bubba
Good info on the political landscape for the last 2 negotiation cycles.

The ALPA National lawyers are actually pretty good. The problem is Slick, Big Sis, and our highly experienced ALPA Group B3 EVP didn't want to listen to them because it didn't fit their agenda.

So far, this has been a nice informative thread...I'd like for it to stay that way. With that said R.B., please refrain from "stirring the pot". I'm here to learn how it's done on the SWA side...no need to rehash all that old AAI BS here.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Hey Needmo

I'm kinda in your boat, and I bid reserve this month to see how it is. My line is all three day blocks sun,mon,tues. I live in base and so far it has been pretty easy. They usually call the day before to give you a trip. Twice they gave me turns and I put them in give away and they were both picked up. My only complaints would be this. One, if they give you a trip it does not release you from on call. They can still call you and change it up to your check in or someone could take it from you. Second, after finishing a trip you are not released if you still have duty time in your RAP remaining. For example on my last day of my reserve block I deadheaded one leg back to base arrived about 1300. They could still call me until 2000 to do a turn or possibly JA into an overnight. I believe on the last day you are automatically released 9 hours from the start of your RAP or duty day. I live right at the edge of the two hours to the airport and it doesnt make sense to drive home only to get called back out. Anyway Im still learning the rules, dealing with scheduling is very pleasant so far and I bid reserve again next month.

W

Latest resources

Back