Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not on this side of the partition!

Our best trips are commutable on both ends, and have 1 or 2 legs per day

Sorry you won't find that here. Commute on one end or the other, but hardly ever on both.

And no redeyes, which I'm happy about. But to each their own.

Can I see a show of hands? How many people want Ty to quit posting?

All of those trips are better because there is a commute attached to them?

They are better because they are great lay overs on commutable trips. Not everyone lives in base. Commutable trips for those who don't live in base are huge for QOL. But I'm sure you knew that.

They are better because they are great lay overs on commutable trips. Not everyone lives in base. Commutable trips for those who don't live in base are huge for QOL. But I'm sure you knew that.

Really? Not everyone lives in base? Whodathunkit!

So, if you lived in base, those trips would be worse than if you commuted? ;)

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think I'd enjoy those trips much more without the hassle and stress of a commute.

Last edited:
Getting commutable trips when living in base is best of both worlds. Drive to work late and get done early, it's an extra half or full day off at home ( the best layover). Won't see that on the other side. But you guys go on keep justifying how good the am/pm shows are.

Getting commutable trips when living in base is best of both worlds. Drive to work late and get done early, it's an extra half or full day off at home ( the best layover). Won't see that on the other side. But you guys go on keep justifying how good the am/pm shows are.

The other part of the equation that nobody is mentioning is this...

If it's commutable on both ends, it's probably not going to pay very well. I like good overnight cities just like everyone else. But in the end, I come to work to make as much money as possible for the time away from home...period. Whether you commute or not.

Others might not see things the same as I do and that's their deal. I'd rather have it commutable on one end and pay more than commutable on both ends with low pay.

The bottom line is......

Driving to the worst line in the system beats commuting to the best line in the system. Every line, even reserve, is commutable when you live in domicile.

The bottom line is......

Driving to the worst line in the system beats commuting to the best line in the system. Every line, even reserve, is commutable when you live in domicile.
+1. At another airline I've been on reserve for 10 of 16 years living in domicile and wouldn't trade with any commuting lineholder. My father went to FE at year 16 rather than commute to Cleveland for an FO position. Even back then his AME told him he could tell the commuters by their physical state alone.

Last edited:
+1. At another airline I've been on reserve for 10 of 16 years living in domicile and wouldn't trade with any commuting lineholder. My father went to FE at year 16 rather than commute to Cleveland for an FO position. Even back then his AME told him he could tell the commuters by their physical state alone.

I spent 6.5 of the first 10 years of my career on reserve. 2 of them were in domicile. I agree 100%. I'd rather drive to reserve or a crummy line than commute to a great line.

Agreed, that I'd prefer not to commute. But, what's the probability that I'll break guarantee on reserve on a regular basis?

Latest resources

Back