Requirements to get to fly Corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Shibby

Hi, im new here, and im looking at to enroll at Embry-Riddle in Prescott, AZ where i live.

Let me tell a bit about myself. I have not taken any lesson yet, but i have ridden in several different planes, and flown them just in the air. Also im 23 yrs old.

What do i need to reach to be able to fly for corporate, or charter? BS degree? What costs am i looking at and length im looking at? 4 yrs? I looked at Embry-Riddle website and they said about 6,300 a semester, or something like that, I'm not sure on the number figures.

Also what other certifications needed?

One last thing, what would the salary/pay figure look like? I am looking forward to fly Learjets, citation jets, and more. But those 2 are the most that i want to fly.

Thanks

Corp pilot quals and Riddle

I worked at your Riddle eleven years ago. People criticize Riddle, and a good amount of it is justified. However, I feel that you can't beat the education. Dealing with the flight line can be a hassle big time.

In any event, you need some experience to get on as a corporate pilot. As long as you've chosen ERAU, get your degree, get your Commercial-Single-Multi-Instrument, get your CFI there, and see if you can be hired there or elsewhere as an instructor. In the meantime, make contacts. Much of the art of getting a corporate job is meeting people who can help you.

Many of the quality people who were at Prescott eleven years ago are still there. Private me if you'd like their names. You probably know Murphy's and the other good restaurants. :)

Good luck with school and your training.

Shibby,

I am a Corporate Pilot AND I graduated from ERAU-Prescott after attending their 4 year Aeronautical Science Program...

Send me a Private Message if you want more details...

Falcon Capt.

Riddle

I'm a big fan of Riddle! I was planning on going to the Prescott campus. I even went out and looked at it. Man I just couldn't handle that. I come from Western Kentucky where it is humid. My skin was flaking off out there and my lips were black in places!

Plus it was a major culture shock of an enviroment. Where are the tree's!? You do have an advantage though. You live in Prescott and I loved the town. What a great place.

Just get in there and get after it!

J.

Shibby,

I will right up front, I have had problems with diddle grads for years. Mostly they interview very well and tell you what they believe you want to hear. But when the rubber meets the road, the problems start. They are complaining and quoting regs. I have not been very impressed with the ones I have had to deal with. They tend to think that they are special. I don't care for that attitude. When I was hiring people, I wanted people who would do the job, safely, legally and with a minimum of fuss and bother. And not tear up the equipment. And that is what most operators want. They really do not care where you went to school. ER does a reasonable good job, but remember this is a dynamic industry that is always changing and that the regulations are not black and white. There are a lot of shades of grey in them. For those of you out there who disagree, why does the Legal office of the FAA issue letters of interpertation.

You will need to get a time building job or jobs. Instructing, charter, night freight, etc. Contacts are very important. Keep networking.

Good luck.

Rick1128 said:
"I have had problems with diddle grads for years."

"But when the rubber meets the road, the problems start. They are complaining and quoting regs."

"but remember this is a dynamic industry that is always changing and that the regulations are not black and white. There are a lot of shades of grey in them."

Sounds to me like if people are "Complaining" and "Quoting Regs" maybe you are doing or asking them to do something they shouldn't be doing... I'd rather fly with a guy who knows and abides by the regs than with one who has no regard for the regs when they become "inconvienient"...

The regs are pretty black and white... either you can or can't do something... the only time they become "grey" is when you try bending them... Go take a solid black piece of plastic and bend it, look at the color that develops at the stress point, it is grey....

Good point Falcon Capt....i graduated from riddle last year..yeah there is BS, but isn't the BS everywhere...overall i had a good experience.

Many corporate jobs come through networking. With many frational operations out there your goal is easier to achieve. I taught at Riddle in daytona and visited Prescott. Great school, great education. While you are there you can possibly work at the local FBO and pick up contacts. I knew some friends who graduated in Daytona and are flying Lears for Phoenix Air Charter in Atlanta and anouther that is flying a lear 60 for Airnet. Riddle can make your goals happen but get contacts. No school will guarantee a job. They may help with the interview but getting hired is all in you.

Falcon Capt said:

The regs are pretty black and white... either you can or can't do something... the only time they become "grey" is when you try bending them... Go take a solid black piece of plastic and bend it, look at the color that develops at the stress point, it is grey....
Well said.

HAZARDOUS ATTITUDE
Antiauthority: Don't tell me.

ANTIDOTE
Follow the rules. They are usually right.

Aeronautical Decision Making, AC 60-22

Latest resources

Back