Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Falcon Capt said:

SERIOUSLY SIDETRACKED!

We are like a bunch of old ladies on this board!!!

(No offense to any old ladies out there!)

Perhaps. But, we do have some great and frequently enriching discussions! :D

At least folks here don't complain about the number of postings other folks make....

Good series guys. There's a lot of instant maturity in the above posts to those that are willing to listen.

Shibby, the costs of ERAU are astronomical. Financial aid will not cover all of the costs, especially of flight training. $18000 a year is a low-ball estimate.

What does the government allow for a college freshman? Under $3,000.

Your best bet is scholarships. If you don't have any, start applying. Treat applications as another class.

Interested in the military? Four-year and three-year scholarships require a few years service commitment and you are done. Five years after graduation you could be clear of any college debts. ERAU-Prescott has the best Air Force ROTC detachment outside of the Air Force Academy.

To become a corporate pilot requires a private pilot certificate, an instrument rating, a commercial pilot certificate, a multiengine rating, and around 1000 hours of total flight time plus 100 hours of multiengine time. These are also low-ball figures. I know folks that did internships (if you go to ERAU, get an internship, don't waste the connection) and were hired right after graduation as a co-pilot. Charter requires 500 hours total time if you want to hang out at Las Vegas, or 1300 hours if you want to fly for many cargo operators.

Pay after graduation? Could be nothing, if you don't find a job. It could be $13,000 as a first officer for a low budget airline. Calculate those loan costs very carefully. Going for an engineering or computer science degree and the first job might pay $32,000 a year.

Head over to:
www.jetcareers.com
www.studentpilot.net
www.studentpilot.com

Ask the same questions there. Read all you can. It's the first and most vital step as a pilot: Find out all available information before embarking on your journey. (P.S. a plan helps too!)

Oh, and if you haven't had calculus at the college level before, you might want to seriously consider taking it in a semester other than the first one.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Please don't say that everyone with low-time or all the young people are immature and only want a jet job. I will be perfectly happy to be a CFI for 5000 hours. In my defense, there are plenty of immature adults out there, too.

Anyway, I agree with JediNein, about everything. ERAU is extremely expensive (20,000 + $6000 for flight training is more like a low-ball figure). Personally I would find a good traditional college and work on a degree in another field that interests you.

I attempted to take Calculus my first semester of college. After the first two weeks, my grades entered a stall. The third week they entered a spin. The fourth week they became a flat spin. The fifth week they turned into an inverted, flat spin, and by the sixth week I had decided to pull the parachute and ended up in a different class. (I guess I was flying a Cirrus.)

This from a person who got 100 percents in alg/trig in H.S....

ERAU is expensive, but it is a private school... what private school isn't expensive?

Financial aid will cover WAY MORE than $3,000 per year... I have a friend who is at ERAU-PRC and comes from a single parent home and is of very modest means... he is getting throught financially (and academically quite well I might add!)... Financial aid (read: loans) is covering about 90% of his expenses...

Another benefit is financial aid WILL cover your Flight Training at ERAU, because it is part of your degree program... If you go to ABC College and major in business or something and take flying at your local FBO, financial aid will NOT cover your Flight Training... Guess you'd better set aside $30,000-$35,000 for Flight Training!

ERAU is a very good school... It is expensive... but so is Harvard, Yale, Oxford and all the other top schools in their fields... Its a fact of life you deal with if you want to go there... I made it through and thousands of others have too...

As far as Corporate, I think Jedi-Nein is being a little optomistic on her hours she is quoting you... MAYBE at 1,000/100 you MIGHT get a Charter job.... any of the decent Corporate jobs will be north of 2,500/500 (My company requires 5,000TT/2,500 Multi/1,000-1,500 Turbine/500-1,000 Jet) be we are a huge international corporation (Fortune 100)

Its a long hard road but certainly not unattainable (hey I did it!) If you make the right steps you will get there, and don't let the above hours intimidate you... they come a lot faster than you think...

Good Luck and Fly Safe!

LOL no problem about sidetracking or changing the topic, but wow alot of informative and uniformative posts;) But I really love flying, and the freedom in the skies..

But............... i could not get the money for the school like i thought i would..... so the plan backfired, and forced me to return to Minnesota. It costs money, i wish i had the money, then i would rush over there and learn and pass and fly my whole life. But... that wont happen for a while.. But im going to go to a local airport and sign up for flight lesson just so i can fly and get chance to explore the skies:) and build up my skills, hours, certifications etc... Thanks all for the help, and everything too. I will keep on checking on around just to meet people and learn more about aviation lifestyles, tips and tricks etc..

Thanks

Sam

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back