• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic's Min's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta could sell Comair in 08 - who knows, maybe Mesa will buy it? I wouldn't go to Comair with so much uncertainty. Plus, upgrade time is ridiculously long...

I say sweat it out until you reach the Republic minimums and then go for it....

Thats if RAH doesnt buy us out.... even if RAH didnt...we still wouldnt have the money to buy Comair

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it! I've also heard that RAH has hired a few folks below their published mins. I think most of those were folks who went throught the ATP "RJ Standards" course. Still undecided about that. Take care

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it! I've also heard that RAH has hired a few folks below their published mins. I think most of those were folks who went throught the ATP "RJ Standards" course. Still undecided about that. Take care

Just buy some beer and a PS2 or 3 it'll probably prepare you better for the 170. I don't really do anything anymore.

Instruct and get some more seat time, the wash out rate at RAH is somewhere around 40% since they lowered their mins from 1500/300. Dont shoot yourself in the foot. The rumor is some of the check airmen don't like low time guys.

Since they lowered their mins the washout rate has gone way up. Please do us all a favor and get some experience instructing before you come out to play. Capt'ns then have to babysit the low time guys if they do sneak past the checkride.

Judging by the number of street captains they hired during that period I'd say quite a few.

And for all you people saying to "stay away until you're good enough" -this is just a guess now- most of you are likely principled but I'd guess at least one of you would choose the right seat of a jet for $19k over the right seat of a Cessna for $15k if given the choice. I would have had the opportunity been available to me. But then I freely admit that I have no principles.

Being unprincipled qualifies me for the position of check airman at RAH. I'll be the first to admit that the lowering of the minimums has added challenge and toil to the job. Most of the new hires that I have seen, though, are eager and willing to listen and learn. Most are still getting through IOE in 25 hours.

Captain candidates, on the other hand, come into IOE with all the bad habits taught to them by the captains they have been flying with. It is, in a lot of ways, much easier to shape young minds than it is to unteach bad habits. Then when they get turned loose they can't wait to go back to their old ways, thereby bending the young minds out of shape so that I get to unteach the same bad habits in the next flock of upgrades.

Pick your poison.

Last edited:
Axel, I will be in class soon for upgrade at RAH and I would like to know some of the bad habits of which you speak. I too am still eager to learn.

Judging by the number of street captains they hired during that period I'd say quite a few.

And for all you people saying to "stay away until you're good enough" -this is just a guess now- most of you are likely principled but I'd guess at least one of you would choose the right seat of a jet for $19k over the right seat of a Cessna for $15k if given the choice. I would have had the opportunity been available to me. But then I freely admit that I have no principles.

Being unprincipled qualifies me for the position of check airman at RAH. I'll be the first to admit that the lowering of the minimums has added challenge and toil to the job. Most of the new hires that I have seen, though, are eager and willing to listen and learn. Most are still getting through IOE in 25 hours.

Captain candidates, on the other hand, come into IOE with all the bad habits taught to them by the captains they have been flying with. It is, in a lot of ways, much easier to shape young minds than it is to unteach bad habits. Then when they get turned loose they can't wait to go back to their old ways, thereby bending the young minds out of shape so that I get to unteach the same bad habits in the next flock of upgrades.

Pick your poison.

Thankyou for the response. Although I'm not a "kid" being retired USAF, obviously I'm new to the civilian flying world. I'm considering attending a job fair in Atlanta Nov 17th. Question.., Would it be appropriate to even approach a Republic recruiter before I have the mins? Total time will be in the 550TT with 250 Multi range. Thoughts here are to simply express my interest, shake some hands, and learn what I can about the future of the company. Maybe even leave a copy of my resume if requested.

Also, not sure if you have the answer to this.., how does Republic view the ATP RJ Standards program. I'm aware of the reduced mins.., how are the folks you see hired with this training performing? Very controversal I know. Just trying to learn all I can.

Thanks again

If you want to work there go talk to the recruiters. The worse they're going to say is that you need more time, in which case you're no worse off than you were before.

Latest resources

Back