• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic Airways posts first quarter loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Finally, I know these problems don't only exist at regionals, however, I think some regional pilots better get comfortable with the fact that it could be the end of the road. As I'm sure you're aware, regionals do half of the flying in the US and as you all continue to fly larger and larger jets, mainline jobs continue to go away (400 at YX for example). It's time that regional pilots start negotiating reasonable contracts that pilots can live with long-term. It's the only way to arrest the death-spiral the industry is presently experiencing.
That's the part that sucks. Regionals are quickly becoming the "end of the road." This career isn't anywhere close to the same career those 10yrs ahead of us got. It's too bad. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish we could stuff "scope relaxation" back into the box. Maybe then a mainline career would be a legitimate option.

Live and learn. All we can do now is make the best of the current situation. The only way to do that is to negotiate solid contracts. I think pilots at regionals are realizing that they have gone as far as they can and will start to become hardliners when it comes to contract negotiations. The other thing that regionals are realizing is that what RAH pilots didn't anticipate and therefore had no contractual protections against could happen to them. It's time to get some solid language in the contracts and either do away with regionals or make them palatable as the "career airline" they seem to be trending towards.

"I enjoy flying airplanes. Do I want to fly airplanes for RAH for the rest of my career? Not a chance but I do hope that I leave a better airline for those who remain than what I found when I came here."

Well, that's an idea. Here's another one: Some of your new coworkers have been working at places where you could hang your hat for the duration (problems on the business side notwithstanding). Looks like were all stuck here for a while, let's see if we can't make a destination airline out of this place? Works for me...
My thoughts exactly. See you on the picket line.

Just my opinion, but aren't unhappy pilots the ones who are more likely to seek significant changes in future contracts? Regional FO's feel entitled to the career they thought they were going to have. They then see that the career they wanted was sold out years ago by mainline unions' relaxation of scope (because they were entitled to make $330/hr), and they complain. Loudly. Yes, it gets old hearing from them all the time, but in truth we should be glad. Their sense of entitlement is what will make them fight for better. It is those who are happy with the regional status quo who are threatening our profession. A 28 year old regional FO who expects to show up to work and find a well maintained aircraft, and be paid well to fly that aircraft is far less of a threat to our profession than the 40 year old regional captain who barely even reads up on the list of MEL's before pushing back off the gate to sit on a taxiway with a plane full of pax for two hours so that he can make a few more hours of horrible pay without a single complaint.

My thoughts exactly. See you on the picket line.

If it ever comes to that, you can count me in...

In the meantime, I plan to find constructive ways to make this the best job possible. That and hoping/praying it doesn't come to a strike...

You never know when you might have to start over again. It is time to stop settling for below livable wages no matter where you are. I voted no on f9's current contract (pre concession) because first year pay was substantialy lowered. No pilot should ever make less than $50,000 no matter what seat and equipment they are in.

Your avatar has devoted multiple years of his life to serve our pilot group, while your only meaningful accomplishment in life is to troll Flightinfo. Hope you get sarcoptic mange.

More delays requested by FAPA and the IBT. Now late fall is the latest estimate.

Now you're just lying. No delays were 'requested,' nor are there any delays at all, just the process moving along. Rebuttals are scheduled (at the pleasure of the arbitrator) for August 9-11. Then we wait on an award.

So is your leadership actually feeding you this bull, are you not paying attention, or are you fabricating this stuff to suit your agenda?

Now you're just lying. No delays were 'requested,' nor are there any delays at all, just the process moving along. Rebuttals are scheduled (at the pleasure of the arbitrator) for August 9-11. Then we wait on an award.

So is your leadership actually feeding you this bull, are you not paying attention, or are you fabricating this stuff to suit your agenda?

From our last update....

....Although we tried to get the rebuttals completed as quickly as possible by suggesting using video depositions and similar means, the IBT and FAPA attorneys insisted on doing them in a face-to-face hearing and the earliest that hearing can be scheduled is August 9, 10, and 11. This means a timeline that produces an award in October or early November and it gets even uglier from there because, quite frankly, we have no idea what the award will provide in terms of us returning to work or how long it will take to implement any return provisions the award might contain....

So why no video deposition? Why face to face? The delay was requested by the IBT/FAPA. It's ok, it's only 400 "brothers" on the street for cheaper labor.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back