Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RefugePilot

Paperwork Proficient
Based on some responses from a posting here I applied to some cargo carriers, including Airnet. I was pleased to get a phone call back from Airnet a few days later. I was not so pleased to get a rejection letter a few days after that.

I was hoping I could just fill out a few online applications then just choose from all the offers that would come pouring in. I realize now I will have to tailor my answers to phone interviews so they hear what they want, then I can choose from all the great paying opportunities presented to me.

Questions for the board:

Would the "get hired by the airlines" books also help me prepare for the cargo hiring process?

What are the interviewers looking for as far as answer to the following questions:

"Why do you want to work for us?"

Is reputation a good answer?

"Why do you wan to fly freight?"
The real answer besides building multi-time is having flight instructed for over 1000 hours, I am ready to have the cockpit to myself and fly in a single pilot enviroment and face the challenges associated with the freight pilot job. Does this sound to macho and will it get me weeded out?

"Where do you want to go in aviation?"
Do I have to tell them I want to be a career freight dog? I dont know yet.

Oklay I am pretty sure I know what I said to get rejected, but I want to make sure I did not say more than one thing to get the dear pilot letter. When the interviewer mentioned they have caravans, and asked how I would feel about flying a Caravan. I told them I really was only interested in flying with them, if I could get some multi PIC, but not in those words.

The only saving grace was Airnet is only east of the mississippi, and I want to be on the west coast or Rockies. That doesn't mean that rejection doesn't hurt.

I need to figure out what to say before Ameriflight calls and I blow it again.

Thanks
the Refugee

PS for anyone who has gotten the dear pilot letter, you need to look at Dash-Trash's post on this link. http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=71915

just answer truthfully...if whoever is interviewing you doesn't think that you would be a good fit and decides to not hire you, it is probably best for everyone involved. it is a safe assumption that they know what to look for, and it is not a statement of your piloting abilities.

if i interviewed at a regional, it would be best if i was not hired because i would not fit what they want....not matter how qualified i am on paper. something about cupcaking the FA's wouldn't go over so well.

G007

If you want to be out west and don't what to fly the caravan, then airnet is not the best place for you anyways. Try Ameriflight. They are out west and have a wide variety of aircraft to fly.

"east of the Mississippi"??????????????

What the heck are you smokin'????? Maybe a lack of company knowledge made them pass you up...you should know about a compnay before you try to work there...seems to me that i was based in Denver for the last year, and that Denver has been a base for many many years now, let alone Burbank and Portland.

And flying the van is only a minority at Airnet...most will start in the twins, however, there is a chance you might have to fly a van a few legs a week or night and then a twin the rest of the time...you can't be picky. And if you get stuck flying a van right out of the gate, you can always change runs to a twin only run if it is that big of a deal for ya.

Last edited:
starchkr said:
"east of the Mississippi"??????????????

What the heck are you smokin'????? Maybe a lack of company knowledge made them pass you up...you should know about a compnay before you try to work there...seems to me that i was based in Denver for the last year, and that Denver has been a base for many many years now, let alone Burbank and Portland.

And flying the van is only a minority at Airnet...most will start in the twins, however, there is a chance you might have to fly a van a few legs a week or night and then a twin the rest of the time...you can't be picky. And if you get stuck flying a van right out of the gate, you can always change runs to a twin only run if it is that big of a deal for ya.
You are being very misleading. The only aircraft west of the Mississippi are Jets. Yes the way things are going he will probably have his pick of lears in less than a year. But you have to go into this knowing that you could handle living in an area that might not be you first choice. When I started in June 2001 it looked like I would be in a Jet at the beginning of 02. Then a Jet capt by the end of that year. After a year of building jet PIC time I would be at Southwest or Fedex by fall of 04. Things were looking great until some people decided to hyjack and fly some planes in a few buildings. You never know what will happen, people are moving through quickly right now, but who knows.
As far as the Caravan there is a good chance that one would have to get trained in it. Being a floater is not as desireable as it used to be.
Hey man have fun over there dont get too rusty flying that glorified video game.
WDR11

Yes east of the mississippi

Hey USC Pilot,

I with you on the derailed career track. I started training full time in December 2000 and according to my schedule then I should be sitting left seat in a 737 and making six figures.

Starchkr,

The person on the interview said Airnet no longer has any contracts west of the mississippi, they gave them up to concetrate their resources in the east. The recruiter also said something about being commited to an airplane once you are trained in it.

I have 1700 hours total time now, and 78 multi. Most of my time is in fixed geared singles, as much as I would like to fly a Caravan, 2700 hours of fixed gear singles would only make me slighly more higherable. I have had opportunities in the past that I was not able to take as I was uninsurable in the aircraft. I feel my best career step now is something that will get me Multi PIC.

I would think of moving east for the right oppotunity, the Caravan is not it though. Still looking for suggestions on what they are looking for in an interview.

So is the 'van easy to get? I'm the opposite of the most. I like the tall, oversized C207.

uscpilot said:
As far as the Caravan there is a good chance that one would have to get trained in it. Being a floater is not as desireable as it used to be.
Hey man have fun over there dont get too rusty flying that glorified video game.
WDR11

When I did the phone interview for Atlantic Coast in 2002, they asked me it I'd fly the J-41 if offered or hold out for the CRJ. I told them,"I'll fly a hangglider in a tutu if you pay me!" They offered me an interview in a week and a Dornier Jet class that started 8 days later.

Guillotine007 said:
the chances of having a caravan only run is probably around 5%
Is that hyperbole? You've never used that before.
Carvans make up about 15% of the fleet. Almost all the aircraft that will be purchased will be Vans. The likelihood of being exclusivly in a one is not that high, but what I was saying there is a good chance of being trained isn one atleast in the floater capacity.
jdlilfan,
If you want a Van then bid a floater position. Like I said it wont be exclusive, but you could get qualified then hold out. Are you planning on moving on to the lear. It is a pretty tight cocpit, but well worth it.
WDR11

Latest resources

Back