• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

REJECTED by 83%!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What will a union do for you, more pay? more days? maybe? of course until you get no pay and all your days off.

Everyone fears being Comaired, but the real story of Comair is that the pilots took the concessions to save their jobs, and look where it got them. Comair's fate was decided long before and irrespective of the pilot group votes.

That was one of the reasons I voted no--with no management assurances from voting either direction, I just didn't see how a 2% savings in only one department in a company was going to change the fate of the company or the industry. We're kidding ourselves if we think our vote made a difference either way in winning new contracts or getting wound down. Our fate has most likely already been determined, long before we ever voted.

Everyone fears being Comaired, but the real story of Comair is that the pilots took the concessions to save their jobs, and look where it got them. Comair's fate was decided long before and irrespective of the pilot group votes.

That was one of the reasons I voted no--with no management assurances from voting either direction, I just didn't see how a 2% savings in only one department in a company was going to change the fate of the company or the industry. We're kidding ourselves if we think our vote made a difference either way in winning new contracts or getting wound down. Our fate has most likely already been determined, long before we ever voted.

Purty much why I voted NO as well. Eagle, PSA, PNCL all had/have aircraft/flow/interview guaranteed to them. All we got was that we "might be more competitive in bidding on rfp's". BULL!!!!

If they want just a 2% savings, they should be able to rework lease deals, rework interest rates to more favorable terms, etc... to more than account for that measly 2%!!!

What will a union do for you, more pay? more days? maybe? of course until you get no pay and all your days off.
Look Gramps,
Pilots don't run companies, they only have control of their vote for pay negotiations.As a long time SKYW pilot and having had the luxury of working without a CBA, my wage and benefit losses exceed 10K per year, probably more. ESPP, Health Care, BONUSES, ect, I could go on ad naseum but won't since it will wreck by early AM bourbon buzz. As a JR Capt, I was getting 16+ days off, now as a senior Capt, last month I was the lucky recipient of 11 whole days off. No CBA means no rules for the company, but we better follow them to the "T".

Last edited:
Look Gramps,
Pilots don't run companies, they only have control of their vote for pay negotiations.As a long time SKYW pilot and having had the luxury of working without a CBA, my wage and benefit losses exceed 10K per year, probably more. ESPP, Health Care, BONUSES, ect, I could go on ad naseum but won't since it will wreck by early AM bourbon buzz. As a JR Capt, I was getting 16+ days off, now as a senior Capt, last month I was the lucky recipient of 11 whole days off. No CBA means no rules for the company, but we better follow them to the "T".

How many years do you have to put in to be a "senior Capt" ?

If they're serious about cutting costs they will merge the two companies and shut the blue and white aircraft hanger down. Clean out the $1.2 million earning "management" types and other redundants and incompetents, and see how much that saves.

If they're serious about cutting costs they will merge the two companies and shut the blue and white aircraft hanger down. Clean out the $1.2 million earning "management" types and other redundants and incompetents, and see how much that saves.

That's precisely the plan. You'll see it all starting to happen as early as this June. ExpressJet side will slowly shrink away, while SkyWest side will get all the new contracts and aircraft. That writing has been on the wall for about two years now.

That's precisely the plan. You'll see it all starting to happen as early as this June. ExpressJet side will slowly shrink away, while SkyWest side will get all the new contracts and aircraft. That writing has been on the wall for about two years now.

How are they going to staff all those airplanes? He was saying get rid of the cube dwellers and expensive management and combine the airline as one. Quit the whipsaw and run a "super regional".

How are they going to staff all those airplanes? He was saying get rid of the cube dwellers and expensive management and combine the airline as one. Quit the whipsaw and run a "super regional".

Unfortunately, you'll still need about the same number of cubicle dwellers and expensive management. The management in place already at SkyWest couldn't possibly go from overseeing 10,000 employees to 20,000 employees overnight. The amount of dispatchers and crew schedulers it currently takes to oversee the SkyWest flight schedule and crews could not possibly handle overseeing a two-fold overnight increase. Try to at least be reasonable here.

Staffing the aircraft is easy, we're talking about a 9 year period from delivery of the first E175 to the last delivery of the MRJ.

Staffing aircraft won't be easy, with expected attrition and no pilots coming in the challenge will be to reduce the fleet fast enough to keep up with pilot attrition.

If there is a merger, it will be because the combined company is become small enough to make it sensible

Latest resources

Back