• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regionals getting wings clipped

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If people don't want to fly for the regional airlines in order to get the proper experience for the major airlines, the Air Force or Navy, cargo, or corporate flying is an option.

There are very few options these day.

Maybe you are right about the options being few. If you're a young CFI who has a goal of working for the major airlines, do your research. Once you make a decision, stick with it. In this crappy recession, if you're still flying, don't quit your flying job, not matter how much you dislike your job. Good luck to all.

Domestic flying by Delta is done mostly by Regional flying. I would like to see Delta cover all those flights by themselves. I am sorry this is not at all true. I grew up in a city of 100,000 people and they once had many mainline flights and now have 3 RJ flights. So BIG Delta is going to take over these airports? Sorry but RJ's will be around no matter what level. Even though General Lee's privates hurt.

Add this to your woes:

http://www.buffalonews.com/515/story/905639.html

someones not happy with you guys in Buffalo.

I wonder what the ignorant fool that has written this article thinks of the FAA "watching" AA for their recent mishaps...Good thing those guys improved their operations after St. Thomas 727 crash, JFK Airbus A-300-600R (pilots "improperly used rudder control" due to deficient training), MD-80s in Little Rock and Hartford...A laundry list of causal factors that indicate that things aren't any better at the so-called "major airlines".
In my opinion the USAir "Miracle on the Hudson" is WAY overblown. Yes, they did the job they were trained to do...So what!!! I am sick and tired of this finger-pointing nonsense...The industry is screwed up period! The flying public being BS'd by both gov't and industry, and things aren't changing for the better anytime soon.

My opinion? Which ever costs less and offers the best product at the same time. This is a business, and the regionals DON'T have the ability to dictate what is going on anymore. Most regionals now have to pay for their own gas, and some flying is now "at risk." No more free rides from the Legacies. Business travellers HATE RJs, and LCCs usually stay away from them. How did SkyWest get the Airtran deal at MKE? I bet they offered anything to keep those RJs up there. Now we hear ASA is fishing in Vietnam to put RJs there? Wow, they are getting desperate. It will only get worse. Just hope the Legacies and strong LCCs start hiring again soon, and that means interviews for guys like PBRstreetgang, who will fail everytime. Hey PBR, enjoy Regionals forever. Merry New Year.

Bye Bye--General Lee

SKYW doesn't have to get too desperate. It won't be long till the Big D gives up more scope for 70s and 90s, oh and maybe a new 100 seater! The wide-bodies will vote against the narrow bodies, and the little regionals will once again grow. How about SKY inc.'s cash balance? They "really are" getting desperate. They can't find a vault big enough. "Can I get a wind check"

Last edited:
SKYW doesn't have to get too desperate. It won't be long till the Big D gives up more scope for 70s and 90s, oh and maybe a new 100 seater! The wide-bodies will vote against the narrow bodies, and the little regionals will once again grow. How about SKY inc.'s cash balance? They "really are" getting desperate. They can't find a vault big enough. "Can I get a wind check"

Then you could upgrade and get your 1000pic so you could go....

NOWHERE!!!!!

Then you could upgrade and get your 1000pic so you could go....

NOWHERE!!!!!

I'm not saying I don't want the majors to grow, I'm just stating the facts. I really don't think SKYW is all that desperate. Once again, the "regional market" would not be as big as it is had the "major" pilots stop giving up scope for pay raises. That is the only reason SKYW, MAIR, and MAG ever got a CR9 on their property. I am all for the regionals to shrink and majors to grow, but it will take the 'major airline pilots' to put down the knife that is cutting their throat.

Isn't Brad Rich over at ASA trying to farm out CR7s to Vietnam? That aint good for you guys at SKW either. Look for more of that to happen in the near future. And NO, we won't be giving away any more seats in BK, so don't look forward to a 100 seater. I am glad you have a lot of cash on hand but, the need for your feed is waning. Apparently RA doesn't like RJs too much, and I have heard possibly half of the RJs may be gone in the next few years. If you want to fly the remaining ones, you had better take some major concessions to be competitive---sad but true. And if Mesa comes out of BK with even lower costs, that will make it even tougher on you. Time for you to go get a wammmmbulance.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Wrong...... ASA is just trying to get rid of 50 seater's because Delta wants more 70 and 90 seater's at a 2 for 1 swap.. Go figure big D.....

Latest resources

Back