Regionals can't find pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think its strange.

There are lots of people posting, on this site, how wonderful the "pay for training" program they are spending tens of thousands to get into is.

While at the same time there is a post that the same regional airline (that people are banging down the door to BUY a flight position!!! )cannot find enough pilots.

I have 600 and 100 multi so lets see what happens when I send out my resumes next month... probably nothing. Someone will either pay for my seat or an exec will walk away with 100 employees salary for his bonus.

eastflier said:
take it like a man and go to a regional that will give you a quick upgrade and then go to AIRTRAN!

Funny, a while back a kid came up to me at an airport to tell me exactly the same thing. He was on his way to college to get an aviation degree. He was gonna get his ratings and time while going to college. He was then gonna work at a regional for about one or two years and then go to Airtran. Needless to say, I did my part to open his eyes. I pretty much told him that at the very least he had to get a degree in something other than aviation. That in today's maket there's a good chance he'll never see a 717 or better. And lastly, to consider going to law school or medical school instead. I hope I didn't hurt his feelings but I felt obligated to tell him what I believe to be the reality of this field.

The sooner people get informed the least likely that they will persue this career. Until then and only then, will this industry start to turn around for the pilots. Supply and demand

When I began instructing I think I discouraged more people from learning to fly than to go for it. I hurt my own pocket but that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to give these guys a REAL outlook of what to expect.

All seemed to apreciate the dosis of reality.

Flight school owners probably did not like it though.

I Hate Freight said:
I doubt that. There is and always will be an abundant supply of 20-somethings with Shiny Jet Syndrome, subsidized by mommy and daddy, who are happy to work for nothing and even pay for training if need be.

That could be changing. I have a friend in the flight school biz tell me that student starts, especially in the "big schools", is at an all time low.

Nu

NuGuy said:
That could be changing. I have a friend in the flight school biz tell me that student starts, especially in the "big schools", is at an all time low.

Not us. We're not exactly "big name," but our incoming freshman class is at an all time high.

Me, I just hope that someone is still hiring when I've got my 1000 and 2. As far as low pay goes, I think I could suck it up for a year or so. It couldn't be worse than CFI'n it, could it?

-Goose

Regionals

Would I want to go to QX now? No, because I could kiss my 180 degree view of the water and my toys good bye. Would I want to leave QX if I were there with 7 or 8 years seniority. Not likely. I can see why if you had a secure job in the Northwest you wouldn't want to leave. I'd say half the guys I know that went to QX left and the other half will make it a career. I can't see QX ever running short of people to hire. Besides there's all those 300 hr UND guys out there. Sorry, couldn't resist.

SKW with a SLC base would bring me back home. Who knows if I can get it, but I'm sure as heck going to give it a try.

-Goose

Sure sign of the coming June 2007 hiring boom, it starts at the lower end and creeps up to the majors.

pilotyip said:
Sure sign of the coming June 2007 hiring boom, it starts at the lower end and creeps up to the majors.

Well, for my own sake I hope you are right. I'm still a skeptic though.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back