Regionals can't find pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TreeTopFlyr said:
True at Horizon also. From what I hear we cant fill our August classes. I guess people dont want to wait 6+ years to upgrade. I cant imagine why. But cheer up we are getting 1 airplane next year.

Believe it or not, there are also people who don't care. I know of someone who went to Horizon already armed with all those qualifications that most people go to regionals to get...lots of total time, several (not just one) thousand hours of turbine PIC, 2 type ratings, etc. This person lives in the NW, wanted to stay in the NW, doesn't care about the upgrade time, and places more value on other things in life.

I guess the typical "young FO" can't relate. Don't worry. At some point you will.

Yanky,
That is the exact point. Young folks trying to get a start in aviation, trying to get some type ratings, gain "several (not just one) thousand hours of PIC" and trying to attain your impressive arsenal of people skills as well as aviaion experience and knowledge are not going to be content at QX.
Most young guys and gals starting out with babies and houses and school loans will not be able to afford being an FO in Seattle or PDX for 6 years and are therefore leaving for somewhere else that will allow for some career advancement. Then they can come back to the "Great Northwest" and camp in the right seat with your overqualified friend.

Who is to say who is "overqualified". This friend was qualified enough to get to do exactly what he wants while the rest of you are trying to figure out exactly what that is.

Sounds like he is the smart one.

Correct, who is to say what is overqualified. I would say someone with thousands of hours of PIC, type ratings is overqualified for making $25000 to start at Horizon Air. So would most of the people doing the hiring. If this friend of yours has chosen to live where he loves and has a means to make it all work financially they he IS the smart one. Good for him.

The point of the original post was that people wanting type ratings and PIC time to bolster their chances of getting their dream job (whether that is QX, FedEx, SWA or China Air or flying a DC3 in the Bahamas), then QX should not be their first choice. That is all Yanky.

There are few 18000 airline captains who have the time or the interest to contribute to a message board like this. I'm glad you are still excited enough about aviaion after all these years to want to mentor and contribute in such a selfless way.

Southbound said:
There are always plenty of folks willing to "live and fly in the Great Northwest" and wait for the upgrade. We don't have problems filling classes with wide eyed youngsters. However after the reality sets in, the new hires who are movers and shakers see the reality of FO pay for 6 yrs and they leave. We have lost many junior FO's in the last year and the trend continues. I want to bitch about our pay and then realize we have it better than any other regional which is pathetic. There are all sorts of guys/gals on this board who are thrilled at the $35/hr FO, $65 captain slot in a jet.
A first year FO will make $28.10 plus the LTD overage making our pay equal to a new hire at Continental mainline. Crazy.

I hear we are going to differ our 2 deliveries in 2006 to 'wait and see' what the economy does.

And how exactly are they going to defer deliveries this time?? Last time they were supposed to get 6 RJ's in Feb 2003 but made a new deal with Bombardier at 2 per year till 2009. I find it hard to believe that bombardier would let them negoiate this again. What's your source?

mamba20 said:
You know, the dream of this being a good way to make a living is not dead. This is the regional level, it has, is and will always be rough. Now previous posts are right that this career aint what it used to be. But it will get better. This industry will get better. Sure you wont make 300k a year someday (at least not from flying) but making 150k a year isnt bad money. I tend to think optimisticly though so I'm probably going to be flamed like crazy for this post. Fire away!

you're right about this being only the regional level but these days it seems that the majors are farming out as much flying to the regionals as possible thus we gonna be here a long while, like probably half of our career. SO QOL needs to get better or eventualy no one is going to do it

suupah said:
QOL needs to get better or eventualy no one is going to do it

I doubt that. There is and always will be an abundant supply of 20-somethings with Shiny Jet Syndrome, subsidized by mommy and daddy, who are happy to work for nothing and even pay for training if need be.

turbodriver said:
And how exactly are they going to defer deliveries this time?? Last time they were supposed to get 6 RJ's in Feb 2003 but made a new deal with Bombardier at 2 per year till 2009. I find it hard to believe that bombardier would let them negoiate this again. What's your source?

Hey Turbodriver,
No source. Sarcasm. I was kidding though I'm sure there is a way to get out of deliveries and I'm sure QX could pull it off in Teflon fashion. Let's hope that's not the case.

Latest resources

Back