Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

n7715x

gringo bandito
So, if you had the choice, would you stay at Chautauqua, make captain in about 1.5 more years, or go to Netjets? For those of you who have come from the regionals to a fractional... what are your likes/dislikes about making the move?

Depends. Can you deal with having to live in one of their domiciles? It's a good job, for me it beats the heck out of being at an airline, even as a CA. I'll assume you don't have frosted hair, a backpack, IPod in your ears and won't complain about having to conform to uniform issues. I can't believe the pathetic excuses for pilots at regionals nowadays. It's sad to see who is taking up the reins in the job these days.
Anyway, if you don't mind constant changes, and doing all the FA stuff as well as the flying, you'll like it. I make more here in my 2nd year than I did as a 5 yr CA at the regionals, vacation plan is great, medical 100% paid, and so on. If I were you I'd jump ship. Besides, that 1.5 yrs to upgrade can turn into 3 yrs pretty quick. Feel free to PM me if you want.

If hiring continues and attrition is anything close to what it looks like they will be, you won't be upgrading that much faster at the regional than at netjets. You might be a captain a year earlier but you'd probably still make more money in the meantime as a netjets SIC and the pay when you do get to captain at NJ will be a lot more. Plus the schedule is a heck of a lot better than any regional.

If it helps your decision at all. I was a 170 CA at S5 that left to go to NetJets.

Stability
Crew Meals
Ability to plan my schedule months/years in advance
Future (Hopefully my last company to work for)
Union with a backbone
Decent hotels
Variety of flying (not going to same airports all the time)
Vacations three weeks at a time
There are probably many more, I just can't think of them now

Dislike:

Temporary pay cut
You never really know when your done for the day or where you will be (this could really bother some people, I dont mind it, just pointing it out)

Last edited:
So, if you had the choice, would you stay at Chautauqua, make captain in about 1.5 more years, or go to Netjets? For those of you who have come from the regionals to a fractional... what are your likes/dislikes about making the move?

Well that depends. Some of the guys who were capts at the regionals consider NJA too much work and don't like it. I just spent a tour listening to a guy from a regional tell me how he should be at a major by now and how the industry has f'ed him over. I told him that a high paying flying job isn't a birth right.

On the other hand some love it and think it is a great job, just depends on you.

I left a regional for a fractional, never for a minute thought it was a bad move. Good hotels, seven days off every time, nice planes, the list goes on. Biggest disadvantage is if you don't like being gone for seven days, I personally loved that schedule.

If you want to go on to a major, you will still be able to do that at a later date. If not, you'll have a job you can make a career at and I think be very happy. I could have never been happy spending a career at a regional. There is NO stability at regionals. Look at Comair and what they are going through, Mesaba, etc. No stability, and even if it looks good now, NetJets is much more stable and IMO a 10x better job (but I didn't work at Chautauqua). The choice is just what works for you, just sharing my experience and opinion.

Jaybird hit most the good/bad points. If you can live with the domicile system then go for it. Don't count on home basing for a very long time, probably more than 5 years. I'm furloughed from a major airline and have passed recall once already. I have no intention of returning. My top end salary at NJA may not be as much as I might (key word might) make back at a major airline but the job security and quality of life makes up for that. And don't forget to add in not paying anything for our benefits.

A few other good things:
-much more concern about safety than the airlines. No questions asked fatigue call policy.
-10 hour min rest, 11.5 hours from block in to block out. Much better than 121 rules.
-meeting some interesting pax (celebrities and such)
-occasional tips (in my case about $300 over 18 months)
-more per diem than most airlines due to longer trips (avg $250/per 7 day trip )
-401K with 50% match up to IRS max (2006 contribute $15,000, NJA matches $7500, 2007 limit is $15,500). Young pilots can build a very large retirement nestegg.
-Hotel Points and Airline miles, usually enough every year for a free 1 week vacation at a resort location.

A few other bad things:
-Long duty days usually up to 12 hours unless you break.
-fly to 10 hours per day & no 30 in 7 limits.
-RON's that average 12-13 hours, not a lot of time to go out and do things.
-Pax that try to bring way too much luggage.
-lots of sitting around time at FBO's. That's why the duty days are long, if you finish early they'll keep you on standby up to around 12 hours of duty.
-Can't get every weekend off. At most airlines when you're senior enough you can hold weekends off. Here the best you'll do is every other weekend off. On the other hand even very junior pilots can have that.
-free FBO Cookies (yes that's a bad thing for cookie addicts :0 )

AirBear

If it helps your decision at all. I was a 170 CA at S5 that left to go to NetJets.

Stability
Crew Meals
Ability to plan my schedule months/years in advance
Future (Hopefully my last company to work for)
Union with a backbone
Decent hotels
Variety of flying (not going to same airports all the time)
Vacations three weeks at a time
There are probably many more, I just can't think of them now

Dislike:

Temporary pay cut
You never really know when your done for the day or where you will be (this could really bother some people, I dont mind it, just pointing it out)

Okay, I did just remember one more negative thing. No more Non-Rev or jumpseating. I didn't Non-rev or jumpseat that much, but it was a really nice thing to have when you want it.

Very good points from all. Makes me feel better.. Im leaving the regionals in two weeks! It has been a very hard agonizing decesion...

Latest resources

Back