Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UALRATT

TURBO CHARGED
Using turboprops for some regional jet replacement is an option that Bombardier is confident will be pursued. Between early 2000 and December 2009, the Canadian airframer delivered 65 Q400s to US operators, including to Alaska Air Group subsidiary Horizon, Pinnacle Airlines subsidiary Colgan and Frontier.
While the 11 Q400s operated by former Frontier unit, and now Republic subsidiary, Lynx Aviation are being culled from Republic's fleet, Bombardier "clearly believes there is a role for the Q400 in North America", says Gordon Pratt, who is director for the Q400 aircraft programme. He points out that the Q400 "enters services that were either previously flown by jets or are still flown by jets and are being supplemented by turboprops at different times of the day". A stretch of the Q400, dubbed the Q400X, also "remains high interest to existing and potential new customers", says Pratt. "It's going to be a very versatile airplane. In terms of seat mile costs, it has the potential to be a tremendous airplane."
Abbey adds: "I think operators will tell you, and original equipment manufacturers will certainly tell you, that there absolutely is room for more turboprops in the US fleet. The arguments are water tight in terms of comfort, economics and performance - basically all the criteria that fleet planners look at. But there is clearly - and sadly - hesitancy in codesharing operations to make that commitment."

No where in the articles does it state that the flying is going back to the mainline carrier. It is just going to disappear. The routes that mainline cannot compete with an lcc will just be given up to the lcc.

No where in the articles does it state that the flying is going back to the mainline carrier. It is just going to disappear. The routes that mainline cannot compete with an lcc will just be given up to the lcc.

Exactly. While some pilots gloat, their airline loses market share and, in the end, they lose career potential to another airline.

No where did it say that either...

I found it rather arrogant that fornaro of airtran would recently say legacies would continue to shrink. UAL was arrogant in the 90's too however I'm thinking that a narrowbody jet will soon be on the way. Time will certainly tell.

It's obvious to anyone who's taken a Economics course, so it didn't have to spell out the consequences of a legacy airline being unable to effectively compete in certain markets.

http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/economics1.asp

IN the end according to this article my job is effectively coming to end, so the choices are letting the LCCs take it or giving up SCOPE so you can ride around the country in 100-130 seat jets (giving my the finger with a big smile on your face.)

In the end if my job is lost, I would rather let it be lost to an LCC, they still pay far more than your company ever will. If I have to reapply for work again I would rather put in my application at Southwest, Jetblue, or Airtran over Eagle any day of the week..

AA

Heyas,

Of course, this is all assuming no other external factors. Another bad accident or two from the regional side, especially with a high profile like Buffalo, and it will make HR1586 look like a bill creating "Crossing Guard Appreciation Day"...

Nu

IN the end according to this article my job is effectively coming to end, so the choices are letting the LCCs take it or giving up SCOPE so you can ride around the country in 100-130 seat jets (giving my the finger with a big smile on your face.)

It's that attitude which explains why your job may indeed be in trouble. Obviously your emotions and preconceived notions are not only clouding your judgment but also your ability to read and comprehend. Where do you get the idea I have a "big smile" on my face about this?

Understanding and accepting the reality of a situation isn't the same as condoning it, AAflyer.

Accepting that other airlines are competing with the LCCs by utilizing regional airlines for some point-to-point flying and, therefore, your own airline must find an effective method to compete is simply logical. It doesn't mean you or I have to like it. The continued push by corporations to increase profits should be fought by employee groups only to the point where those profits become excessive. If labor caused those profits to drop well below averages of other airlines, then this will effectively "kill the Golden Goose" by forcing the corporation to find another alternative or face the inevitable loss of investors. If you and I were given a choice between investing our life savings in a company which produced results below bonds or investing in bonds, which should we pick? Again, ECON 101 mixed with a little PSYCH 101 aka human nature.

In the end if my job is lost, I would rather let it be lost to an LCC, they still pay far more than your company ever will.
Again your emotions overcome your reasoning. In effect, because you perceive a battle as being lost, you are willing give up the entire war as being lost by surrendering to the enemy. Not very smart.

Of course, this is all assuming no other external factors. Another bad accident or two from the regional side, especially with a high profile like Buffalo, and it will make HR1586 look like a bill creating "Crossing Guard Appreciation Day"...

LOL. It's a shame that some airlines cut the safety buffer down to the point where it requires a government fix. The main reason why something wasn't done before was due to organizations like ATA and RAA which used their lobbying power to advocate rules which maximized profits. All to often, the relation between safety and profits is an inverse relationship. The Colgan crash epitomized many of the problems in our industry.

Latest resources

Back