Regional Hiring Over the Next 6-12 Months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5617443&nseq=51
Here's a photo, again, a couple years old, if you have newer info please share.

Also, I take that back about the 757's, from this angle, at the time of the picture, they look like 767's. Still, if they are still there, my point remains, there are large planes sitting in the desert that could be used domestically to replace regional lines.

A single 767 could be used to replace 2 737s on a congested domestic route, and those 2 737s could replace a few RJs. Especially if you've got consolidation in the picture.

Again, if you've got more updated information, please share, I'm working off 2 year old information to support my theory.

A single 767 could be used to replace 2 737s on a congested domestic route, and those 2 737s could replace a few RJs. Especially if you've got consolidation in the picture.

Yeah, but....

the issue is crew wages.

Why would an airline use a mainline 737 when they are practically flying the RJ for free, given current wages?

The real issue remains options for the customer. Could Y airline consolidate? Sure, that goes without saying. But if they were to consolidate, they save a few bucks here and there but....

X airline decides to offer more opportunities to fly into a certain city. Business travelers will go where? To the guy with more options. And there are an awful lot of travelers out there doing it on the company dime.

RJ's if you will forgive the misnomer, are there for frequency mainly. They also help fill those 777's going to London and China. And as stated before, the labor costs are very low by comparison. The genie is out the bottle here. Business will continue to change as time goes by. This is just more change in the grand scheme of things. We may not like it, but there ain't much we can do about it.

Yeah, but....

the issue is crew wages.

Why would an airline use a mainline 737 when they are practically flying the RJ for free, given current wages?
You guys are right. The two biggest appealing things about RJs are the minimal crew wages and the ability to create more departure time options for the customer.

However, with regional pilots demanding more money and all the concessions the majors took the difference isn't near as much as it was 8 years ago.

Additionaly, you should really look at the stats on fuel burned per seat mile, the CRJ is blown out of the water by the 737.

I'm not trying to be negative here. More Major jobs are good, and I'm not forcasting mass furloughs or anything, just that the pilot shortage could be offset by consolidation among other things. Ie., if you're planning on using the pilot shortage as leverage to get your company to pay more and treat you better, they're not out of cards to play.

havent posted on here in a while! I think the hiring at the regionals will continue at a slightly slimmer pace than the current status! My reasoning is most of the attrition at regionals isnt legacy carriers! Thats where age 65 will have its biggest affect! Now even with the age 65 rule I dont see most guys working until they are 65?!?!? we'll see who knows? Most regional guys seem to be going to airtran, jetblue, corporate gigs, leaving the industy! I know there is a big chunk going to the legacy carriers but there are other places these guys are going too!

In response to all this RJ vs. 73, regional vs. mainline BS! I definately think we will see a shift back to much larger airplanes here in the mid future! The whole reason we have RJS is just for frequency and labor cost and eventually...i say 5 to 10 years, oil cost will be more than labor costs! Because now regionals are demanding a little better pay and with the "shortage" eventually it will have to! Most kids are getting smarter now days and realize that a 100,000 dollar investment isnt worth 20 grand a year!

And if theres one thing these white collar bonehead CEOs do well its look at graphs and math on paper and think with their numbers instead of logic and instinct! Once fuel hits 125 to 135 a barrell! We will see a lot of band aids beeing placed on chainsaw wounds ie. Pay Cuts, parked airplanes, reduced schedules etc. etc. until they have to revamp their whole game plan and reduce frequency and bring in larger equipment! plain and simple, OIL will cost more than labor! Because Oil is only getting more expensive and labor has consistently gotten cheaper!

After all they have to keep the stock prices high just long enough for them to cash out get their options and bonuses and leave the place in shambles, thats the main problem with modern american big business! Maybe we should make our CEOs sign contracts that say they have to stay for 30 years before they can collect their stock options! i guarantee you the airline industry would flourish!

Have fun!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back