Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoDEAN

Cabo Wabo Express
Being 7 months into my first regional job, got a question for ya'all. How long did it take you to get use to turbulance in a jet? I fly an EMB and those wings are so stiff, and bump makes the plane rattle. I usually leave the autopilot on when hitting bumps, but sometimes if its constant light chop, or moderate chop, I don't always trust the autopilot. I guess I am not 100% comfortable with moderate chop turbulance in a jet yet. I don't know what to do to get more comfortable with it, except keep flying in it. I guess my fear is that the autopilot will kick off, and I will have to control the plane from going into some nosedive or some sh|t lol.

Tips, advice?

dude.....relax....you will be fine....bumps happen....just take a deep breath and reeeeelllllllllaaaaaaaaxxxxxx

Just pay attention to the turbulence penetration speed and what the passengers are feeling as well. I've pulled the power levers to flight idle in one swift move more than once.

They bothered me a lot at first too. It's just a different feel than the props you're used to when hired. Just wait until you hit some REAL bad turbulence and the A/P doesn't kick off like you expect it to.

I've got over 1000 hours in that EMB now, and it kicked off the A/P twice... both were wake turbulence, not atmospherical.

Autopilot does a pretty darn good job while in turblulence 95% of the time even moderate chop, but it does have it's limits. When it gets real bad, and it is having real trouble holding altitude then you might let ATC know and switch to pitch mode and riding it out. Yesterday we got into some bad severe clear air lturbulence 40E of HNN at FL28 and it did indeed knock the autopilot off. At first it couldn't hold alt, and then the plane really started to get out of shape. AP kicked off, got lower and just tried to keep the wings level while we quickly headed downhill in search of anything smoother.

Last edited:
BoDEAN said:
Being 7 months into my first regional job, got a question for ya'all. How long did it take you to get use to turbulance in a jet? I fly an EMB and those wings are so stiff, and bump makes the plane rattle. I usually leave the autopilot on when hitting bumps, but sometimes if its constant light chop, or moderate chop, I don't always trust the autopilot. I guess I am not 100% comfortable with moderate chop turbulance in a jet yet. I don't know what to do to get more comfortable with it, except keep flying in it. I guess my fear is that the autopilot will kick off, and I will have to control the plane from going into some nosedive or some sh|t lol.

Tips, advice?

What the heck? Are you a real pilot? Are pilots just a bunch of pretty boys nowadays? Just suck it up and do what you've been trained to do Mr. fair weather pilot.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back