• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can anybody think of another job in this country that;
1. Basically requires a college degree
2. Thousands of dollars in technical training
3. Several Years work experience in the field
4. Starting pay around 20,000 per year, oh but wait, you generally make between 30 and 40 you next year. (woopdy doo)

And requires an embarrassingly low demonstration of proficiency and knowledge to qualify?

shroomwell said:
Can anybody think of another job in this country that;
1. Basically requires a college degree
2. Thousands of dollars in technical training
3. Several Years work experience in the field
4. Starting pay around 20,000 per year, oh but wait, you generally make between 30 and 40 you next year. (woopdy doo)

I cant think of any.

Still nobody had been able to come up with any answers to this question. Anybody?

Doctors have to work crappy shifts for the same (or less) money than you make interning at hospitals, clinics or for other physicians for years before they can practice on their own. Not to mention all the blood, puke, feces, urine, screaming and tears that come with the customers. The educational investment involved with this is well into six figures.

My brother has been doing this for more than four years, and thanks to HMO's and Medicaid caps there is no guarantee that he will be rolling in it any time soon. If you want to improve your life, the first step is to learn to communicate effectively. If your resume is as riddled with spelling, punctuation and grammar errors as your post you should be very thankful for the job you have, because no one is going to hire or promote you based on your communications skills.

Last edited:
you say we all quit? not me pal. we're doing this cuase we enjoy it. we must be masochists or something....but we enjoy what we do. you can go ahead and quit. im sure theres someone else out there that various captians would be happier to fly with than you.....(that is if you bring your baggage to work with you)[/QUOTE]
Airpirate

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my job and do not bring baggage to work. I just wanted to get a discussion going on the issue. It really is sad that we have to put up with this to do something we like. There are plenty of people out there who enjoy their jobs and are fairly compensated. We are basically victims of the free market. That is why I posed the question about other jobs that require such qualifications.

Do I want a high paying office job, NO. However I feel that we do deserve a fair paycheck, YES. Unfortunately our low pay can sometimes lead to saftey issues, like having to work a second job and flying "fatigues".

As for people who have to comment on grammar. I am not writing a thesis here. People understand what was meant. So take your anal tendancies somewhere else and clean the cockpit with wipes or something.

shroomwell said:
As for people who have to comment on grammar. I am not writing a thesis here. People understand what was meant. So take your anal tendancies somewhere else and clean the cockpit with wipes or something.
Don't you mean "tendencies"? :)

Relax, Shroom, it was a joke...

Depressed fo's? Oh, pu-leeeez.

Welcome to the real world, Junior. In this world we make decisions and take responsibility for them. Grow up.

Last edited:
Maybe your brother should have to do six month and year checks to keep his job as a doctor. You know, operate within tolerances or he is either demoted to nurse or terminated, all up to the hospital, of course, and the mood of the examining doctor. Maybe a week back to med school for a little recurrent training. I am also quite positive that your doctor brother spends 300 hours a month in completely different states than his family and friends. Tell me, flyNhawaiin767, how many written tests, and multi-phase interviews did your brother go through to get his current job. Not to get his license, but his current JOB.

Just having some fun with ya hawaiin man. Please don't call me a loser.:)

shroom,

You know the problem with these guys that are so adament about you just accepting the way things are because you knew what the pay was going into it and so on and so forthe.....is they have about as much intestinal fortitude as a worm.

You see...they are the ones with the problem....not you! You....like many other people who love what they do but do not love the pay are willing to come up with ideas to change the direction of our profession rather than just sitting back with the spineless attitude of resignation and the laziness of unimaginative arguments.

Some of us here like to think critically for ourselves rather than regirgitate the last person's post that they saw that they thought they liked and could dance to.

It's this lack of imagination and unwillingness by some that have helped to place us as a airline pilot community in the situation we are in and we all suffer as a result.

Don't let the guys here that can find nothing better to do with their time than to spew vinom stop you from continuing to lead in discussion on this forum or in any forum for that matter about how we might be able to make a difference in our profession.

The airline business needs more people like you talk about problems and the possible solutions to them rather than those here who seem to only want to divide and create problems.

Now to answer a couple of your detractors comments directly:

1> "You knew what the pay was when you signed up for the job"

Yes we did....and rather than sit back with resignation and hope that things got better on their own, we decided to take the job, it being our passion, and try to do something to change it from the inside out....not wait for people like you who either think we deserve these unfair wages or are unwilling to fight to do something about it. So you sit back and do nothing if you want but if you're not going to sit at the table to contribute to solutions....then leave the table buddy!

2> "You knew what this industry was like before you got there"

Again, another example of this person's resignation and inability to see the possibility for things to be different. And besides, in case this person hasn't noticed, this industry changes on almost a monthly basis. Maybe he can tell us what will happen to the industry in the future so we can all know how to plan our lives....that would be very kind of him! We're waiting with baited breath for the answer by the way.

3> "In the face of the facts, you knowingly paid for the high cost of training for this job"

Well first of all, some of aren't as young as you are little lad. I'm in my 30s and have just recently accepted a job with the airlines. I started my expensive training in the early 90s so NO some of us didn't know how the exact state of the industry was going to be in December 2004 at the time we elected to pay great sums of money for our training. Of course you're assuming I guess that everybody takes the same career path you did and is an expert in the airline business like you are so I can see how you would ASS U ME that shroom and everybody else who has suffered unfair wages at the regional airline level would think that right?

And probably my favorite idea (or lack thereof) by one of your detractors shroom is the Spelling Bee champion that thinks that in order to form understandable posts that you must have no spelling or gramatical errors in your posts.

I wonder if this guy is just envious of you because you seem to have better ideas, or ideas and opinions in general, that he is unable to formulate because he knows he's a better speller than you?

What I would suggest to him is to just relax and realize that despite what he must think there are indeed other people on this earth that are more intelligent than him despite his obvious, and quite amazing I might add, spelling ability.

If he's so interested in doing research and preparing for his arguments he should put a little learn on about Albert Einstein. I'm sure he must know because he so smart, but Einstein thought the practice of spelling to be unimportant.....so it turns out bucko that one of the most intelligent people this world has ever known was also a terrible speller.

In closing I would just like to say to you shroom, I'll go to war with you anyday my friend....as for some of the others on this board....I'd rather go to war alone!

The guys who ridicule you with empty arguments probably think its stupid to make a comment like that that one would rather go to war alone than with many men with whom he thinks is not worthy to fight alongside. I think it's principle!

Peace!

WolfManPack

Last edited:
If you want to make money start a business and work hard at it.

This is the only chance to make big money in this country, but that is a privilege that few other countries offer. Start out part time and maybe you can drop or trade away your trips and treat your airline job as a hobbie some day.

Just be quiet and put in your time.

There ALOT of mainline pilots on the street without a flying job and it makes me sick that a small minded FO like yourself does not see that fact.

Let me guess you are probably going to say you DESERVE an upgrade because you got the time?!!!!

jjet,

Sounds like you are the one that is small minded:

"Oh just be quiet and put in your time"

"Small Minded FO like yourself"

NIIIICE!!!!!

You going to come up with substantive ideas and arguments here or you just going to stick with the 4 grade mentality of name calling and $&^# you comments?

Latest resources

Back