Regional FO's Depressed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Forget the college degree

Not required for any job paying 20K to 30K. Check my trailer, answers all your questions. I know a few non-college pilots in the late 20's, making close to 70K, own houses, married, etc.

ALPO said:
College is a huge dupe
Do you really believe this or are you just trying to get a rise out of people?

Do you think that people that drive an hour to work in traffic sit there and go "I love my job." then sit in a cubical and talk about how much they love their job. Then drive home in traffic for another hour humming to themselves on how they love their job. Oh its only monday... 4 more days left!

We, get to see the sun rise, or set or lunar eclipses work 5 days... get 5 off, or work 4 days, get 3 off. I know we're not home every night. Maybe its the fact that there isnt a forum for people who work in cubes to complain to other people about their job, that is why there could be some whiners here.

Live/ your job is what you make of it. Thats all I have to say. Cheers all.

Can anybody think of another job in this country that;
1. Basically requires a college degree
2. Thousands of dollars in technical training
3. Several Years work experience in the field
4. Starting pay around 20,000 per year, oh but wait, you generally make between 30 and 40 you next year. (woopdy doo)

I cant think of any.

Still nobody had been able to come up with any answers to this question. Anybody?

No. There aren't any. After 5 1/2 years as a Mesaba FO, my ex wife still makes more than me as a teacher. However, the days off are tough to beat. I get upset from time to time as to the bad choices I made regarding my aviation career, but all in all, it beats the heck out sitting in an office building with a bunch of nerds or women arguing about the company Christmas party.

Hang in there, dude. Things will be looking up in a couple of years. Just think, you might actually make more than the US Air 737 FO's in your regional jet.

Dodge said:
No. There aren't any. After 5 1/2 years as a Mesaba FO, my ex wife still makes more than me as a teacher. However, the days off are tough to beat. I get upset from time to time as to the bad choices I made regarding my aviation career, but all in all, it beats the heck out sitting in an office building with a bunch of nerds or women arguing about the company Christmas party.

Hang in there, dude. Things will be looking up in a couple of years. Just think, you might actually make more than the US Air 737 FO's in your regional jet.
I hope that isn't a pic of your ex-wife, if so, you really screwed up.

You hit the nail on the head though. You could be sitting in a cubicle somewhere making $20,000 per year and wishing you were flying.

shroomwell.
theres a couple of things about getting that FO job...

1. you knew what the job paid before you got there.
2. you knew what the industry was like before you got there.
3. in the face of these facts, you knowingly spent alot of money to train for this job.

and you WILLINGLY go ahead and take the job. you KNOW youre going to be unhapyp with the pay. you KNOW youre going to be poor for a long time. you KNOW your girlfriend/wife will miss you (and be lonely) while youre gon on your 2 to 5 day overnight trips.

i wouldn't complain about it if i were you. you did this to yourself. and the best part? you knew what it would be like when you got there. and you still went ahead and did it. now youre telling us youre unhappy? i think its a general concensus that most FO's arent to happy with the pay. they always will be. but I'm not complaining, cuase its all in what you make of it. i toop a 10k+ paycut to do this FO thing and you know what?....its a much better QOL than what i was doing before....thats right QOL does not = $$. dont kid yourself.

you say we all quit? not me pal. we're doing this cuase we enjoy it. we must be masochists or something....but we enjoy what we do. you can go ahead and quit. im sure theres someone else out there that various captians would be happier to fly with than you.....(that is if you bring your baggage to work with you)

Most FO's in regionals have been there for less than three years.

Three years ago 9/11 happened.

Any person who forged ahead and began an airline career post-9/11 knew the deal.

Any person who DIDN'T know the deal wasn't paying attention.

Friggin' whiners...

Shroom,

You want bottom of the barrell at a regional? Be a ramper! OR... Come sit in the dispatch office or with your favorite crew scheduler. That's bottomfeeding at it's finest. You would get to hear all of the whining and complaints I hear everyday. It's gets real effing old really quick. I would get another job but all I know is airplanes, weather and ATC so don't ask.

You have a good gig. There's a light at the end of the tunnel for you and it isn't another train coming the opposite direction. Your upgrade time may be a long time but at least you move up at some point.

9/11 changed everything.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back