Regional Captian Douchebag Syndrome-RCDS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oakum_Boy said:
Being a laid-back regional FO doesn't really qualify you for much in my book.

Is your "book" going to get me hired at Southwest, CAL, JetBlue, etc??:confused: I didn't think so, so shut it!!!:p Besides, I'm not here to live up to your qualifications, whatever they may be. So here's to all the cool, laid-back FO's and CA's out there!!!!:beer:

Oakumboy,

Contrary to your Avatar you must still be walking on 4 legs! :D

Bluto said:
Ah, now I get it, because you were a weak FO you automatically assume your FO's are weak too.
Yet again, a wise old Captain projecting his personal short-comings onto his FO's. I'm sure what you say is true of some junior FO's. I know it was for me when I first started out. But this attitude of "I'm the thinker, you're just the gear-yanker..." is just pathetic, and egotistical. The Captains I've flown with that appear to have that attitude were among the worst (thinkers, and flyers) I've flown with at any company. Why don't you Captains try to learn a little something from this post instead of belittling the guy/gal sitting next to you who may well have better or equal knowledge, experience, and/or flying skills than you.

Every flight I watch my Captain and decide if I will adopt, or avoid their actions. Thanks to you Captains for helping me know how not to act.

As an FO my life, as well as my certificate, are dependent on the proper decision-making of my Captains, as well as myself. To suggest that we are just sitting over there picking our noses while you make all the tough decisions is self-centered and condescending. If you don't involve your FO in all the deep, intellectual pursuits of your flight, it's your fault, not his.

Bluto,

Sounds like you are ready to upgrade. I'm sure you will do well and will realize the viewpoint from the left....

My response was to the original poster.... a definite attitude problem. It is rare to find a FO that engages the operation from the mental perspective. Most FOs don't consider fuel managment, taxi runway incursions, destination wx, MEL's, etc.... They show up, do the walk around, get the wx and read the checklist.

Nothing from stopping them from engaging themselves in the said above...they just seem fine to read the checklist.... (from memory :) ) Is it my responsbility to engage the content?

Last edited:
Kerosene and Rez, I think I was being overly sensitive and read too much into both your posts. Sorry for blowing it out of proportion. It sounds like we're all on the same page here. Maybe my wife hasn't been fighting with me enough, I'll talk to her about it. ;)

I think the original post has been lost, about 3-5 pages in, it was a joke suppose to be funny. It was targeted at the FO's it was funny, we have all flown with idiots, right or left seat. Lighten up a bit. Everybody.

Talk about getting blown out of proportion!!!

FlyinScotsman said:
I think the original post has been lost, about 3-5 pages in, it was a joke suppose to be funny. It was targeted at the FO's it was funny, we have all flown with idiots, right or left seat. Lighten up a bit. Everybody.

Talk about getting blown out of proportion!!!

You're right...I got a total kick out of it....

and the fact that it had so many hits/replies shows we can all relate to how much it sucks to fly with a douchebag.

Most crews are fun to be with and I like this job, but every now and then, RCDS (or RFODS) hits hard! Worse than bird flu!!

any captain that

complains all the time
ask for atis 200 miles out
reviews his taxi diagram at your base airport before every landing
wants a full bief on the ILS for a visual
Double checks all your math with a calculator
doesnt' like your reading or listining to music
talks about drinking beer on the ovenight and then backs out
does the 10,000 and 18,000 check at exactly those alttitudes every time
always disagrees with your style
ask you to verify everything
Says they are laid back
wants you to slow down way to early
complains about doing 255 under 10
tells you you are high on an aprouch ( a dot high)
or complains about anything else unecissary

is only unconfident in themselves and their ability. They have probably bee in the RJ their hole career and never learned ho to fly. All FO's watch over these people it isn't the little petty things that matter.

Ok so do you guys feel better now? Now that you have had the chance to whine about your mean captains? The best thing I remember about being an FO was I learned my place. Something that been missing for a few years.

Charlie Namur, a wise and gifted pilot used to say, I've yet to meet an FO who I wouldn't trade for his weight in gas!

Latest resources

Back