Regional Captian Douchebag Syndrome-RCDS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wmuflyguy said:
This recently got put into our Ops manual. I wouldn't have thought this was a problem.

"Professional" pilots. LOL. And they wonder why they are paid and treated so poorly. They are just a bunch of punk kids out joyriding in a jet with 50 unsuspecting captives along for the ride.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
It is rare to find a FO that engages the operation from the mental perspective. Most FOs don't consider fuel managment, taxi runway incursions, destination wx, MEL's, etc.... They show up, do the walk around, get the wx and read the checklist.
It's our job as captains to groom these FO's for eventual upgrade. Draw them into the decisionmaking process by asking questions. I'm guilty of not always doing this myself. If they ask "how much fuel do you want" ask them what they feel is appropriate and then explain why you do or don't feel differently. When stuck in holding ask the FO what he/she thinks BINGO fuel should be. Have them look stuff up in the MEL occasionally. If there's a problem with the release not being legal ask them if they see anything wrong with it. Let them know what your concerns are. When we were junior FO's we didn't think as far ahead as we do now.

Dave Benjamin said:
It's our job as captains to groom these FO's for eventual upgrade. Draw them into the decisionmaking process by asking questions. I'm guilty of not always doing this myself. If they ask "how much fuel do you want" ask them what they feel is appropriate and then explain why you do or don't feel differently. When stuck in holding ask the FO what he/she thinks BINGO fuel should be. Have them look stuff up in the MEL occasionally. If there's a problem with the release not being legal ask them if they see anything wrong with it. Let them know what your concerns are. When we were junior FO's we didn't think as far ahead as we do now.

Well put post, sometimes before a flight we are tight on time, we all do our jobs that we are given.

The FO gets ATIS, clearance, runs the numbers and such. The captain is normally goes over the release and enroute weather and checks the aircraft logs.

So we as FO's soemtimes dont get a whole lot of work with the logsbooks and release's proir to flight(especially if it is a quick turn)

I flew with a line check airmen the other day on a normal flight(not a linecheck or IOE). HE turns to me and says "lets reverse pre-flight roles this leg"

I thought that was great on his part to involve me in the part that i don't normally get to do and just break up the everday routine.

Dave Benjamin said:
Funniest thing I saw recently was a Mesa Dash-8 FO performing his preflight with his backpack on.

I've been fortunate I guess. The vast majority of FO's I've flown with have been great to work with.

Because he was worried his captain was so broke he'd steal his lunch.

Latest resources

Back