wms

billSquared
Just curious about a few stats.

-What is the size of your pilot group?
-what is the attrition at your company?
-How many are they trying to hire?
-How many are starting/finishing class?

Thanks

Mods, if it's possible to delete the flame-baiters from this thread it would be appreciated.

RAH

Around 2100 pilots last time I looked.

Attrition appears to be 30-50/ month according to union board. Most attrition is FO's and junior captains, folks right about 2006-2010 DOH.

Company wants to hire anyone with a pulse and ATP. Literally.

Rumors/numbers vary wildly. Most new hires recently have quit before finishing ground school. 8-10 a month seem to make it online.

Last edited:
RAH

Around 2100 pilots last time I looked.

Attrition appears to be 30-50/ month according to union board. Most attrition is FO's and junior captains, folks right about 2006-2010 DOH.

Company wants to hire anyone with a pulse and ATP. Literally.

Rumors/numbers vary wildly. Most new hires recently have quit before finishing ground school. 8-10 a month seem to make it online.
All part of the growing pilot hiring boom predicted about 4 years ago

Thanks

Mods, if it's possible to delete the flame-baiters from this thread it would be appreciated.

SkyWest
3285 pilots

I'm 50% up the FO side, and there are about 17-20 a month leaving that are senior to me, and probably that same amount leaving junior to me. I've actually been really surprised how many people we've had leave that are at the 1-2 year mark (I've been here over 3 years).

Not sure how many they're trying to hire, I'd estimate maybe 30-40/month, which seems to cover attrition.

Not too many people wash out here, they still seem to be fairly selective in the interview process (and the training department is very good, especially for new hires).

Fixed that for you.
Doesn't count, lay offs reset the hiring boom start date, so no lay offs since 2010, start a new hiring boom cycle. don't ya think?

Thanks

CPZ ~ 525 pilots
20+ per month / 20 monthly to DAL flow - anticipating 140 total in 2014. Probably a half dozen or so left for USAir and UAL this year so far too.
Total backfill of all positions + extra for next year ~ 150ish
No show rate is very low, though there is a recent trend of a person here or there quitting in trng though, which previously was very rare.

Staffing is very very tight. JA calls and extensions are commonplace. Flow hold back for my class just pushed from 60 to 90 days.

Getting folks at the moment hasn't been too tough, but there's a lot of built in movement right now too. Once the last of the flow is cleaned up next year, it's going to be a much harder sale for the recruiters.

SkyWest
3285 pilots

I'm 50% up the FO side, and there are about 17-20 a month leaving that are senior to me, and probably that same amount leaving junior to me. I've actually been really surprised how many people we've had leave that are at the 1-2 year mark (I've been here over 3 years).

Not sure how many they're trying to hire, I'd estimate maybe 30-40/month, which seems to cover attrition.

Not too many people wash out here, they still seem to be fairly selective in the interview process (and the training department is very good, especially for new hires).

CC said during the most recent earnings call that attrition was around 25 per month total so far this year. Not refuting your observance, CC could have been stretching the truth for all we know.

Last edited:
CC said during the most recent earnings call that attrition was around 25 per month total so far this year. Not refuting your observance, CC could have been stretching the truth for all we know.

No problem at all. Like I said, I'm 50% on the FO side and have been moving up about 17-20 spots each month for the past several months. I haven't been paying attention to attrition below me, I just heard that we were losing a lot of 1-2 year FOs.

The attrition report shows 147 left in the last 6 months, so 25 a month is real close. Half were captains, roughly.

Latest resources

Back