Regional Airline future

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kaman

However, what makes it even more crushing is the fact that it isn't really as nefarious as your post, although I feel every bit as much of the pain as you do. To Delta, it is just business and we are a node in their business model that has to be optimized for efficiency, profit and cost reduction. I would rather just have them tell me that "we hate you pitiful regional pilots, and you should consider yourself lucky to occupy the same airspace let alone breath the same air". Ironically, I used to have a lot of respect for Delta as an organization and felt that they have a very professional group of front-line employees.
Now, you all can take this with a grain of salt, but while commuting to STL for my last Q400 PC, I jumpseated on PSA and the Captain asked me about what was going on here, and after giving him a brief synopsis. He told me that earlier in the day, he had an FAA inspector riding along doing an "observation" (commute...another abuse of taxpayer funds for another rant...). This particular "fed" works in the Cincinnati FSDO which just happens to be COMAIR's certificate holding office. The long and the short is that he said COMAIR is D.I.W. ("dead in the water" to you landlubbers) and will be shutting it's doors within the next 6-12 months once Delta's pilots either ratify OR reject their TA.
If one were to make an observation based on previous history... I see a "trojan horse" coming our way in the form of the 75ish 76-seat aircraft being dangled in front of our noses as a "carrot" to being more amenable to amending our current JCBA. "Sign this or else these airplanes are going to G****s" kind of an ultimatum. And, their justification is that Delta is only going to pay this amount to fly these block hours, and there are other operators cheaper than you are...
So, perhaps I am stupid, crazy, don't know what I am talking about or all the above. This is just my observations and speculation of a scenario that could be playing out right as you are reading this.
It is becoming more and more obvious to me that the current regional airline business model is broken, and until more leverage is placed within the joint collective bargaining scheme things are going to continue in this tail chase to bottom. That is not just a metaphor any longer, it is the truth. Look at the history of how this sector of the airline business has spiraled downward since code-sharing began; pay-for job, pay for training, J4J, ASA, CPA, Flow-up/Flow-down,etc...Everyone is pinning their hopes to the date Dec. 31, 2012 when the 65-year olds at the legacies finally retire. I don't think that this is a very good idea to pin one's hopes on.
The time is finally come I believe for ALPA to do what the airlines seem to be so adept at (not always successfully) in changing their business model. ALPA isn't privy to all the company plans, or strategy nor does it have a right to be. Although, it would make sense that a successful business would enjoy a positive partnership with it's employees. If this were the case we'd never need to have a collective bargaining agent or an advocate in government. ALPA now has more pilots in the regional side of the business than it does the legacy (something about that word legacy in describing an airline kind of annoys me) pilots. We need to have a NATIONAL SENIORITY LIST NOW...This is what "collective" means if you define it, we are not acting collectively within our own union. I am not trying to sound harsh or critical of ALPA. ALPA has accomplished many things in the area of safety, regulation and pilot advocacy. However, let's call a spade a spade here...ALPA has not done so great when it comes to collective bargaining, and ESPECIALLY at the regional airline level. I think that we have good people trying to the right thing in our MECs, LECs, committees, etc...But, we are not really going to be speaking with one voice for ALL pilots until we get this national seniority list protocol worked out...It simply has to be done...
The time now is to be bold and to look back at the history of the hard work, sacrifices of the past ALPA members that brought the association thru it's genesis. They too faced daunting problems, yet they prevailed. I think that it is still possible. Pilots are leaders by default generally speaking, and also very task/goal oriented. These are positive things that we can use to gain some traction on this issue, and really make some positive change. Change is often traumatic and difficult for many to absorb, but change we must or this career, this avocation as some of us want to see it will continue to degrade.

Rant complete...

repost

No way on a National Seniority list with transferable seniority between companies. Nobody forces you to choose their airline. It's your choice, and choosing wrong shouldn't affect people who were lucky and chose correctly.

Bye Bye---General Lee

No way on a National Seniority list with transferable seniority between companies. Nobody forces you to choose their airline. It's your choice, and choosing wrong shouldn't affect people who were lucky and chose correctly.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Not to be sarcastic, but that was not an astute observation on your part and merely a vain attempt at your usual sarcasm...And, if you don't see the point of my post then you are more of an idiot than you pretend to be...The current model of ALPA has NOT changed with the industry and is NOT addressing the needs of it's rank and file to the extent it should be and COULD be...

Not to be sarcastic, but that was not an astute observation on your part and merely a vain attempt at your usual sarcasm...And, if you don't see the point of my post then you are more of an idiot than you pretend to be...The current model of ALPA has NOT changed with the industry and is NOT addressing the needs of it's rank and file to the extent it should be and COULD be...

No, your proposal is not reasonable if it includes a National Seniority List. Make the right choice before you apply.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Genital Lee, once again you show your true colors. Making the "right choice" in this business or any business for that matter is akin to winning the lottery. It is all luck. And you never know if you were lucky until you retire. For you to sit here and pat yourself on the back for "choosing correctly" is arrogant and ignorant. I hope for your sake that Delta doesn't become the next Pan Am, Braniff, Enron, Lehman Brothers, etc. Karma is a bitch.

I think GL is right. Nobody told me to chose Virgin. If we go out of business, I have no right to become a narrowbody captain somewhere else, or to carry my DOH from a bottom feeding airline to someplace like FedEx.

This career isn't like being an electrician. We don't all get paid around the same. Each company has very different abilities to pay their employees based on their business model and efficiency.

Since this thread is in the regional section, I also have to mention that if you are in the regional industry, you must realize that management at the majors have bought off their labor to allow your jobs to exist. They did that to do an end-run around those mainline union contracts. Mainline management is winning in this regard. And since they created thousands of low-paying jobs to replace fewer well-paying jobs, there is absolutely no way that you can integrate the high and low-paying jobs.

How about a national longevity list? I don't necessarily care what I'm bidding as much as I care about not going back to year-one pay if I change jobs. I would think a national longevity list is more feasible.

This particular "fed" works in the Cincinnati FSDO which just happens to be COMAIR's certificate holding office.

It happens not to be any such thing. The CMR certificate is held by the Louisville FSDO, but carry on.

A NSL is great in theory, but is simply not practical. What the General isn't figuring on, is today's "place to be" could be gone tomorrow. DAL isn't immune to this, they're just one fruit loop and a suitcase, or a bad CEO away from the likes of Pan Am, Eastern, or TWA. I hope not, but this business is so cyclical that the plain truth is that over a 30-35 year career, the odds are simply stacked against you. This is true no matter where you go.

It happens not to be any such thing. The CMR certificate is held by the Louisville FSDO, but carry on.

I only assumed that it was in Cincinnati, but the rest of the conversation I paraphrased was factual. Whether there is any validity, let's hope not. As far as the airline pilot profession not being similar to a trade, ok. Well, how would you define it? The current paradigm is not working, and it wasn't working in the period immediately following WWII, so ALPA CHANGED the way they dealt with the industry. We have to be prepared to change our way of thinking and how we approach this profession, because as someone said, the cards are already stacked against us. Why continue to give management a stacked deck of cards to play against us?

Latest resources

Back