Regional airline crashes & failed checkrides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
another loophole

Another loophole that congress needs to fix right now or all of America is in imminent danger - whether they fly or not.

"No more pilot training at gun shows!!"

A paragragh 1/2 way down the page is good. Of the 10 crashes at the majors, 1 involved a pilot with more than one failed checkride. So, 9 fatal accidents involved pilots with exlnt records. It has more to do with the overall past history and professionalism of the crewmembers, as well as current external factors, than check rides alone. Most of these problem pilots had questionable pasts in general and were well-known as generally incompetent, cowboys, undisciplined, etc. Checkrides alone aren't the warning flag.

Also, every airline has their problem child/children that they are carrying for one reason or another. It's difficult to get rid of them either because of connections, compassion of mgmt or the union. But these are the ones that need to be cracked down on.

I had a FO recently who came though an ab initio program. He wanted to pick his legs based on crosswind components. WTFO?! Needless to say, I nipped that in the bud real quick. Sink or swim. If you aren't competent to land in a crosswind, go find another career! These pilot factories are producing "qualified" but NOT competent pilots.

Face it, there are a lot of weak dic#$ out there. You get what you pay for. If the incentives are not there to bring in quality people, then you get the result.

to this I say: what about the accidental deaths in hospitals across the usa? how many doctors have prescribed the wrong meds? cutout the wrong organ? or in the case of Duke Univ Med Ctr, transplanted the wrong type kidney into a young hispanic gorl causing her death? ... what about this? its relevant because I don't see hospitals advertising their low accidental death numbers

to this I say: what about the accidental deaths in hospitals across the usa? how many doctors have prescribed the wrong meds? cutout the wrong organ? or in the case of Duke Univ Med Ctr, transplanted the wrong type kidney into a young hispanic gorl causing her death? ... what about this? its relevant because I don't see hospitals advertising their low accidental death numbers

Good point.

I've had my share of "single pilot" experiences. Not at my current carrier, but back at ASA. I was even single pilot (in my opinion) when I was an FO once. That guy was the Captain with the Waycross event on the ATR. Thank god he never killed anyone...but, he should've washed out LONG before I flew with him which was before the Waycross thing. He took about 80hrs of IOE and then later 60 IOE for Captain.

Doctors only kill one patient at a time. We can kill several hundred with one bonehead mistake. Not that the problem with these doctors isn't serious, but if I were the government, I'd tackle the problem of airline safety first.

I have never been a fan of "paying your dues." However, it certainly may help to weed out some of those that really shouldn't be flying for a living. The programs that take you from 0 time to a regional in the FAA minimum are giving people a guarantee that maybe shouldn't exist. Maybe some of these guys coming up today would have quit before they got to the regionals.

That article paints regional pilots in a bad light. I think we do an incredible job when you figure in the constant fatigue from terrible work rules, the amount of legs a lot of us do a day, and the terrible airports we fly into that the majors don't.

Latest resources

Back