• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional airline crashes & failed checkrides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Check rides alone aren't the sole issue. We all know pilots have failed check rides for what should've been debrief items. But multiple failed check rides should trigger a closer look at the pilot. Does he have a history of violations, complaints from other pilots, non-compliance with company procedures and other discipline and professional issues? Or does he not check well or has he been under the scrutiny of an unreasonable examiner?

Every airline has less then competent pilots that they carry for one reason or another. The recent issues should encourage mgmt to finally get tough with "problem" pilots.

Last edited:
This is not always the case. When you work for an airline such as Pinnacle, your job is on the line every time you go down for your PC. And even though I haven't failed a 121 PC in 7 years, that doesn't mean that it won't EVER happen. The only way you could mandate this is to have the FAA do EVERY airline's PC's for them and set a common set of standards to meet. The way it is now (at my airline) you roll the dice every time as to who administers your PC. I don't buy the premise that people don't bust PC's at the majors as much because they've been "weeded" out. More like they are given better training and opportunity to show how they can handle situations....not one chance and UNSAT. Some airlines allow a warm up session and then the PC. Here, it's get in the box at 5am and you better not make one minor error or you're fired.

That's one thing I never liked about my old airline. Going into the box and having the check-airman look at my SIDA badge, brand me as one of those DTW 'cowboys':rolleyes: I can only say the only time I wasn't 'concerned' was during my Check-airman PC and my last PC with the company given by a great instructor and pilot(M.T. the big man). Even wrote a letter to my own training department on how he set a positive tone from the beginning. Wish he was there for all my PC's (even though I WAS senior to him). The thing with 9E was that some of those guys got power-happy and liked to yell and intimidate. I vowed to NEVER be like that should I ever become a check-airman and when I did and it was Line-check time, I went out of my way to set the guys at ease. This was especially my goal during IOE, and my noob F/O's were appreciative of my debriefs which usually involved 2 or 3 (or more) cold ones. If they were of drinking age of course. I miss teaching there cuz I remember being that nervous F/O and had a great IOE instructor for initial and Upgrade that I wanted to emulate in every way. I could never drink like that guy though:beer::puke:

Last edited:
That's one thing I never liked about my old airline. Going into the box and having the check-airman look at my SIDA badge, brand me as one of those DTW 'cowboys':rolleyes: I can only say the only time I wasn't 'concerned' was during my Check-airman PC and my last PC with the company given by a great instructor and pilot(M.T. the big man). Even wrote a letter to my own training department on how he set a positive tone from the beginning. Wish he was there for all my PC's (even though I WAS senior to him). The thing with 9E was that some of those guys got power-happy and liked to yell and intimidate. I vowed to NEVER be like that should I ever become a check-airman and when I did and it was Line-check time, I went out of my way to set the guys at ease. This was especially my goal during IOE, and my noob F/O's were appreciative of my debriefs which usually involved 2 or 3 (or more) cold ones. If they were of drinking age of course. I miss teaching there cuz I remember being that nervous F/O and had a great IOE instructor for initial and Upgrade that I wanted to emulate in every way. I could never drink like that guy though:beer::puke:

Hey rook, since you know me personally, I find this even more amusing... but I didn't write that above quote... some one else did.. I've never been at Pinnacle!

So how's life since GAC?

Hey rook, since you know me personally, I find this even more amusing... but I didn't write that above quote... some one else did.. I've never been at Pinnacle!

So how's life since GAC?

Hey buddy! Yeah I know DTWFO wrote the quote I just 'mis-quoted' which is nothing new LOL! Just sittin on my arse doing nothing but hitting the gym and watching too much MLB network. Almost jumped on that Ethiopian MD-11 gig but my wife's Grandpa died 2 days before my interview and they're not too excited about rescheduling an interview. Oh well.

How the heck did you become a Mod? You a glutton for punishment or something? BTW it's good to see your posts bud. I still remember your phone call from Shanghai and laughing my arse off at your predicament thinking, 'Rook what've you gotten yourself into?':laugh:

Last edited:
Hey buddy! Yeah I know DTWFO wrote the quote I just 'mis-quoted' which is nothing new LOL! Just sittin on my arse doing nothing but hitting the gym and watching too much MLB network. Almost jumped on that Ethiopian MD-11 gig but my wife's Grandpa died 2 days before my interview and they're not too excited about rescheduling an interview. Oh well.

How the heck did you become a Mod? You a glutton for punishment or something? BTW it's good to see your posts bud. I still remember your phone call from Shanghai and laughing my arse off at your predicament thinking, 'Rook what've you gotten yourself into?':laugh:

yeah, my buddy Peb tried for that one too and he's not heard back yet. If I was still current I'd give it a shot. I'm just doing some contracting on the 320 but otherwise same as you..

(back to your regularly scheduled program)

Checkrides, especially at the regional and ACMI level, are extremely subjective. They are very much based on the whim of the examiner. This is due to the size of the company and the ability to build fiefdoms. Anyone who worked at ACA in the 98-04 timeframe, when there was a 50% bust rate in the CRJ program because of a couple of bad apples in the training department -- can attest to this. ALPA didn't do much to nip it in the bud, either.

Until they are administered by a computer, they will never be completely objective.

The whole checkride issue is a red herring the press can easily latch onto and run with, until the next pregnant woman goes missing.

Yep- Good points. When classes start having a very high "bust rate," the FAA should start sniffing around the training department. A 50% rate is unacceptable-something is definitely wrong!

Latest resources

Back