Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
spinup said:
Spinup-

If you think that AirTran is some "hotbed" of scabs, then you obviously don't know much about the company as you think you do.

Out of our 800 pilots, there are quite a few former Eastern pilots, but only a handful were "scabs". I am sure the rest of the guys who put in 15+ years and then lost their jobs really appreciate some fool like you calling them scabs.

Hey, who knows- the way things are going at UAL right now, you are very likely going to learn what those Eastern guys went through in the early Nineties . . . . In fact, with a little luck, in a few years, you may even experience some dumbass kid mistakenly calling you a scab on a message board, too.

Now, wouldn't that just be ironic as all hell. . . . . .

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
spinup said:
Hey, who knows- the way things are going at UAL right now, you are very likely going to learn what those Eastern guys went through in the early Nineties . . . . hell, with a little luck, you may find some dumbass kid maistakenly calling you a scab on a message board, too.

Now, wouldn't that just be a shame?

They already did - does UAL 85 "B-scale" come to mind?

Ty Webb said:
spinup said:
Hey, who knows- the way things are going at UAL right now, you are very likely going to learn what those Eastern guys went through in the early Nineties . . . . In fact, with a little luck, in a few years, you may even experience some dumbass kid mistakenly calling you a scab on a message board, too.

Now, wouldn't that just be ironic as all hell. . . . . .

Don't bother with this guy. Typical ignorant attitude.

The EAL guys in retrospect were better off since their company tanked in a era when there were jobs available to start a new career.

The UAL pilots are doomed when they go 7 because the market is flooded with pilots. And I firmly believe that liquidation is coming quickly. I would be surprised if they made it through the summer.

Interesting assumtion that I was refering to AirTran. I have no clue the number over there, glad its small. I do however at other airlines.

So let me get the gist of this thread. Minorities No, Scabs Yes.

A bunch of brilliant aviators.

No one said not to hire minorities!

What was said was that it was wrong to hire minorities over other, more competitively qualified pilots.

The problem with people such as you and Redtailer is that you can't seem to get your mind around the fact that it is just as wrong to discriminate against white males as it is to discriminate against anyone else.

It is not possible to have preferential hiring without discriminating against someone else.

Sheeesh!

Ty Webb,

The intention of preferential interviewing is to right past indiscretions in employment practices; aviation is riddled with these. I agree with you that at some point when a fair balance is found this should stop.

Sadly, many airmen take the viewpoint that minorities didn't earn their jobs because their career path wasn't "difficult enough", perpetuating discriminatory views without regard. Minority airmen and women go through their careers viewed as second class aviators by the ill informed.

It's not acceptable to discriminate in the past, then neglect to make amends. Looking at this another way; How do you now feel being (as you say) discriminated against as a white male? What you and I are dealing with is a fraction of what minorities have delt with in aviation's history.

A logical conclusion to be drawn is that generations prior to us had very little if any competition with minority groups, and these very people still are in positions to help majority groups gain employment. Minority groups don't enjoy this benefit, so that lends even more validity to preferential interviewing.

You hold UAL as a bad example, I hold UAL as a good example. We can disagree on that point.

You're right, it's not possible to have preferential hiring without discrimination. Now it's our turn.

Spinup,
2 wrongs does not make a right. I am going with Ty Webb here - I don't want to see less qualified minorities be given a job over someone more deserving just to fill a quota.

Sorry, Spinup, but you're way off base.

Fair is Fair. You can't have it both ways. Do you want fairness? Or do you want discrimination?

To advocate preferential hiring in some attempt to "cure" past wrongs really means discriminating against white males, and that's just as wrong as discrimination against minorities.

Unfortunately, in the last ten years or so, our publicly-funded Universitities have allowed themselves to swing so far to the left on this subject that both faculty and students have lost all perspective, and this is becoming painfully clear in some of the posts I see on this board from some of the junior members.

My opinion on this subject is really one of just an objective observer- it doesn't really affect me- I have my job, thank you, but I was always taught to speak up for what is right.

Originally posted by flyndesk

Kid Char, it looks like you might be at JetBlue, what a great job!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick check of his posts reveal he is not at jetBlue. Besides, their screening process does a good job of weeding out the d!ckheads. My guess is he's either at Ryan or USA 3000.

trainerjet, flyndesk

I sure hope you are right and this idiot racist and sexist kid charlene isn't with jetblue. I would hope that Ryan and USA 3000 would've also seen through this jerk's attitude. If he decided not to apply to U that was probably a wise choice, because I'm sure they would've seen through him. It's not just flight hours that make you competitive for jobs. It seems as though he is trying to create a division between the pilots on this forum. I sure hope he doesn't succeed!! What about it kid charlene, where do you work?!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back