• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Refused, Fired, Quit Game

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tarps' story sounds sincere, and it seems like he did the right thing. Lord knows there are many similar situations in this industry. There are, however, usually two sides to every story (and the truth usually lies somewhere in between.) Often disgruntled employees will seek to "get back" at a former company and/or employees be embelleshing or outright lying. They may also exaggerate the sins perpetrated by the company in an attempt to justify their situation and actions to avoid accepting any blame themselves. I've seen this happen on numerous occasions. And some people are simply inveterate and incurable malcontents who will be unhappy and grouse no matter where they work. It's simply the way they're "wired". Again, I'm not referring specifically to Tarps' narrative. His story is not uncommon. There is pressure to "find some way to get it done" on occasion no matter where one works. The key is knowing where to draw the line and just say no. A good company will respect and abide by a Captains' decision, even if they don't like the inconvenience it causes. And they will never intentionally put a pilot in a position to do something blatantly illegal or unsafe.

AngelKing said:
As much as I would like to be sympathetic to what happenend to you, I have to agree. If every pilot asked for all the logbooks, insurance papers, 135 certificates for every trip with a different a/c....well, lets just say it would be a mess. I think you fulfilled your obligation by asking the questions, any more than that, you are just being a pita. And before the flaming starts, how many of you ask for all these documents when flying a different a/c? Avbug may, but I doubt many others do. I also believe there is more to this story than just this one incident.

AK

Not to be arguementative, but ever heard of a MX dispatch release. If you are 135 have you DOM sign your MX dispatch release with a status sheet of next MX due by hours, cycle and days for the following 30 days, 50 hours and 30 cycles. This can be maintianed with CAMPS or AvTrak.

Documentation should always be readily aviable to to any crew member in the event that he/she gets ramped.

Whne I used to ferry A/C for our MX department I always asked for the following:

-Insurance showing me as named or open pilot requirements
-Date of last annual and .411/.413
-Current weight and balance with loading graph. I had one guy remove seats without a new loading graph. I refused the flight until he put the seat back into the airplane.
-And of course ARROW.

Last edited:
G100driver said:
Not to be arguementative, but ever heard of a MX dispatch release. If you are 135 have you DOM sign your MX dispatch release with a status sheet of next MX due by hours, cycle and days for the following 30 days, 50 hours and 30 cycles. This can be maintianed with CAMPS or AvTrak.

Documentation should always be readily aviable to to any crew member in the event that he/she gets ramped.

Whne I used to ferry A/C for our MX department I always asked for the following:

-Insurance showing me as named or open pilot requirements
-Date of last annual and .411/.413
-Current weight and balance with loading graph. I had one guy remove seats without a new loading graph. I refused the flight until he put the seat back into the airplane.
-And of course ARROW.

Never had a fed ask for insurance papers, never once in 30 years. Only the Mexicans have asked for that.

What is 'arrow"

AK

AngelKing said:
What is 'arrow"

Airworthiness Certificate
Registration
Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit
Operating Manual
Weight and Balance data

It falls under part 91.203....Does this still apply to 135?

Even a Part 91 flight requires a maintenance status sheet. You as PIC must know, and must be able to show an inspector, that required scheduled maintenance has been done.

Asking to see the logbooks might be excessive, but if they aren't willing to give you some written statement of when things are due and the times they were done at you can't fly the airplane.

Capt1124 said:
Even a Part 91 flight requires a maintenance status sheet. You as PIC must know, and must be able to show an inspector, that required scheduled maintenance has been done.

...unless of course you have a 135 release number ;)

wingnutt said:
hmmmm...
  • part 91 aircraft goes down
  • company replaces it
  • pilot asks questions
  • questions answered
  • pilot declines to do trip
i guess i'll be in the minority also. if i let the "scuttlebutt" around here drive my decision to take or decline a particular flight, i would have been out of a job many moons ago.

Not quite.

If the owner's airplane is down, you can't just "substitute" another airplane in its place, regardless of whether it's the same type, etc.

If you are flying someone in an airplane they don't own, for hire, it must be a Demo flight or 135 charter, with all appropriate paperwork. It sounds to me like the pilot acted appropriately; moreover, it sounds like this probably was not the first company maneuver of this type. Everyone here knows 135 charter is populated with bottom-feeders.

C

Corona said:
If the owner's airplane is down, you can't just "substitute" another airplane in its place, regardless of whether it's the same type, etc.

actually...you can, as long as they have pre-arranged it. we have quite a few owners who have a sort of letter of authorization so that they can swap time in each others aircraft and its all done under 91.

Latest resources

Back