Recent FedEx meet/greet anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Scarabus said:
So where can you find info on the type of questions and answers HR people are looking for.

You can do an internet search on "behavioral interviews." There are also books available at your local bookstore that cover these topics. However, these sources are going to be very general in nature.

I just attended a Resume Writer and Career Coach conference in SFO. One of the topics was on interviewing techniques from a coach perspective. While I thought some of the information was valuable, it did not really address all the "corners" that job seekers could get backed into - which I think that every career/interview coach should understand. The woman conducting the presentation has written a good "general knowledge" book for jobseekers, called "Boost Your Interview IQ." You can probably pick it up on Amazon.com

If its illegal then it should stop. We do need to talk about it so that we can approach our union legal department and at a minimum send a cease and desist letter. That way the word will get out to "rouge" managers.

How do you prove it?

Easy...have a few pilots who interviewed and are already on property file a grievence. Since they already interviewed and are already on board (preferably over one year..off probation) there is nothing to lose. In fact you gain some protection by filing a grivence since the company will go out of its way to ensure you are not fired so that it won't look like retaliation.

Testimony is evidence. If you have more than one person testify to the same or similar occurance then it leds more credibility. There is absolutely no need for tape recordings. Rape allegations are tried and convicted everyday based only on the testimony of one victim.

My point is this...if they are asking the question during an interview then its important. They wouldn't ask it if it wasn't a basis for their decision.

The reason I asked if this was really happening was becuase I wasn't asked anything like this during my interview.

I certainly don't recommend that anyone confront the interviewer during the interview....but....after you are hired and and property, or if you are not hired, then approach the subject.

Sorry for the long post...if you have encountered this question I ask that you contact the Union legal department. This is exactly why we pay dues.

Echopapa said:
If its illegal then it should stop. We do need to talk about it so that we can approach our union legal department and at a minimum send a cease and desist letter. That way the word will get out to "rouge" managers.

How do you prove it?

Easy...have a few pilots who interviewed and are already on property file a grievence. Since they already interviewed and are already on board (preferably over one year..off probation) there is nothing to lose. In fact you gain some protection by filing a grivence since the company will go out of its way to ensure you are not fired so that it won't look like retaliation.

Testimony is evidence. If you have more than one person testify to the same or similar occurance then it leds more credibility. There is absolutely no need for tape recordings. Rape allegations are tried and convicted everyday based only on the testimony of one victim.

My point is this...if they are asking the question during an interview then its important. They wouldn't ask it if it wasn't a basis for their decision.

The reason I asked if this was really happening was becuase I wasn't asked anything like this during my interview.

I certainly don't recommend that anyone confront the interviewer during the interview....but....after you are hired and and property, or if you are not hired, then approach the subject.

Sorry for the long post...if you have encountered this question I ask that you contact the Union legal department. This is exactly why we pay dues.

ugh....... no.

Where in the contract is there language concerning agreements on interview requirements. Only with a CBA section to reference can you begin to file a grievance...

Unions and Air Line Pilots don't run airlines! Including the hiring!

Seems to me, interviews are like life... sometimes it isn't fair. The trick is... can you deal with it and come out clean (or hired :D ) on the otherside....

Good luck!

Last edited:
EP...contact your mil affairs chairman. This has been noted and done. Details from them...but not here in this forum.

You can look me up in VIPS and call if you'd like--I'll vector you to the mil affairs rep--or just go to the ALPA board and look the guy up.

ACLU would love this thread. I'd just sack up and deal.

Interview stuck to the pre-printed script. I was asked the following in my M&G:

"Why you instead of the 11k others?"

"How'd you get to this point?/Tell me about yourself."

"How do you know (sponsor)?"

"You a football fan?"

In/out 40 mins. Easy day.

I didn't get a first hand experience of 'the fun' myself but ask someone that went threw a United interview years back during their hiring boom. They were hiring maybe 1 out of every 4 interviewed and most candidates left the interview ready to go postal on someone. I've heard some crazy stories.

Now, compare that with the FedEx process and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Yes, the process can be frustrating but is dignified and respectable. You will leave the interview feeling you did the best you could do and feel like you will get a fair shot at getting hired. Not everyone does but at least you don't get raked across the coals during the process.

I agree it is probably better than United in their heyday, but I have been trying to schedule a meet-and-greet for 6 months. This last time, I called from 745am MEM time until 1100am. Left the message about 815am and got no response. I felt as if I was calling in for a radio prize and kept getting the busy signal. I'm just frusterated that I have done everything, except go to MEM and wait in line with the other 35 pilots on opening day of scheduling season, to schedule a meet and greet.

Echopapa said:

How do you prove it?

I am not sure that I would suggest that anyone try to sue over this or make a huge deal with union reps about it. This is a very small industry and that person (or people, if several decide to make an issue) would have their names all over the place.

As for believing that the union will protect your job - think again. If you become enough of a thorn in management's side, they will find a way to make your life miserable or fire you. We had a Captain at my old airline become very vocal about certain issues. They found a way to fire him. It took three years to get his job back without back pay. We were an ALPA carrier as well.

Understand that management will take a gamble in firing you. It is like a roll of the dice to them, and they will take pleasure in making an example out of you to keep the troops in line. I have seen it happen so many times at different airlines.

We had a guy who was organizing the union for the ramp agents. They did not go after him, but went after his wife who was a flight attendant. They said she failed a drug test. The FAs were union. It took another three years to get her job back, however she did get back pay, which is very rare because an arbitrator does not expect you to do nothing to mitigate your circumstances while you are not at the airline.

We had two FAs fired for supposedly stealing headset money. They decided not to fight it. Another FA I know has been waiting three years to get his job back because the company said he was one minute late to board the airplane. All unionized employees - so do not think they won't fire you.

I am just providing these examples of real life situations - all of which happened to union employees. Do I think it is right? Not a chance. But I would sure proceed with caution.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Where in the contract is there language concerning agreements on interview requirements. Only with a CBA section to reference can you begin to file a grievance..

I don't agree about having to be a contractual issue to have the Union involved.

There is nothing in our contract that prevents the company from killing crew members that block out late....but they still can't do it...its illegal.

If it is in fact against federal labor laws (and I"m not sure it is) to pre-screen against union membership then it should be addressed by the organization that has most to loose by that illegal behavior..our union.

As far as being fired...I see things completely different. Not all companies are the same...but what I have seen here is that if you file a complaint you actually are more protected from arbitrary firing...in this case you have a case to make for retaliation and the company knows that.

Resume Writer said:
As for believing that the union will protect your job - think again. If you become enough of a thorn in management's side, they will find a way to make your life miserable or fire you. We had a Captain at my old airline become very vocal about certain issues. They found a way to fire him. It took three years to get his job back without back pay. We were an ALPA carrier as well.

So did the union protect his job or not? I am confused. Oh, you want instanteous gratifiaction in the legal system...... Maybe a drive thru court system. Order a #3 combo legal special....suprsize!

Maybe you shouldn't a thorn is managements side. Don't take that the wrong way... It is all political. And one has to learn to choose his battles and realize what he can win and can't, even if he is right....

This is all about the life isn't fair...something mama should of taught along time ago.

Last edited:
Echopapa said:
I don't agree about having to be a contractual issue to have the Union involved. .

You don't have to agree. However, the way the grievance process works is, a pilot must cite a contractual section that was violated. This is elementry and fundamental.

Echopapa said:
There is nothing in our contract that prevents the company from killing crew members that block out late....but they still can't do it...its illegal..

Right, but state and/or FED law would be involved. Unions lawyers aren't criminal lawyers or DAs

Echopapa said:
If it is in fact against federal labor laws (and I"m not sure it is) to pre-screen against union membership then it should be addressed by the organization that has most to loose by that illegal behavior..our union..

Again, unions don't represent potential members. They only represent active members. If applicants can gain the resource of the union simply by interviewing, the union wouldn't be a union. It would be the ACLU, which many would argue is the same anyway....

What you really need is labor lawyer. Becuase this type of issue really isn't union specific, although the question in question is.... There are many illegal questions that can't be asked and yet still are.... Should the union represent applicants for gender questions? Or is that for the NOW? What about guard/reserve questions? Should the DOD handle that? What about politcal questions? Are you a memeber of the DNC cause we are all GWB men here. A DNC lawyer or should the union represent....

Echopapa said:
As far as being fired...I see things completely different. Not all companies are the same...but what I have seen here is that if you file a complaint you actually are more protected from arbitrary firing...in this case you have a case to make for retaliation and the company knows that.

I guess where we disagree is with whom to file the complaint....

I say F. Lee Bailey....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back