Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyf15

Hey Guys,

So, like many here, I'd like to be an airline pilot some day. I'm currently in college and due to an easy schedule, I have some time on my hands. Can anyone recommend good books to read for the future airline pilot? Stuff that will help with interviews, getting through class easier, and generally make me a better/more desirable pilot.

I've heard that the "Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual" is a good one. I've also started reading "Instrument Flying" by Taylor, but it seems to be very elementary/basic.

Thanks much

"How to apply for food stamps"

"The South Newark Diet"

"Why you should not take a job that pays the same or less as instructing, just because its a cool new jet"

"nomarriage.com"

414Flyer said:
"How to apply for food stamps"

"The South Newark Diet"

"Why you should not take a job that pays the same or less as instructing, just because its a cool new jet"

"nomarriage.com"

I already have enough experience reading about those topics... I am a flightinfo member afterall.

Go easy on him there chap!

"The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual" is always on top of any list. I bought that when I was doing my instructor ratings, and the base knowledge and theory that I learned from their made transitioning into a jet a very easy process. It covers the whole gamut of information, and systems that you should have before you go to an interview or start flying one of those planes.

Another one I'd recommend is "Rod Machado's Instrument Pilto's Survival Manual." Knowing how jet engines, and pressurization systems work will do you no good if you aren't a solid instrument pilot. It is written in an easy-to-read format, that is geared towards both the learning and professional pilot. It cuts out a lot of the overly-technical aspects of instrument flying that your taught in instrument ground school, and instead focuses on the "real world" side of instrument flying. I still pull it off the shelf every now and then for a refresher or to look up a question that might come up. At over 400 pages, you more then get your $35 worth!

rvsm410 said:
careful, the cost of the books will exceed your first year regional pay...
True, but if he's already financed mega-thousands in flight training costs anyways, whats another $75 at this point?

Consider it an investment in your future. ;)

If you want some real indepth info, read "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" Half of Delta Airlines Interview Written Exam came from that very book.

I would also read:

"Flying the Line Volumes I and II"

"Hard Landing"

You could also read "Confessions of a Union Buster" but that might be a bit of overkill at this point.

Arghh. My CFI made me read "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" when I had 100 hours. Then I ended up using it as a reference when I began teaching.

I hated that book. Just reading the title now brings back the horror.

English said:
Arghh. My CFI made me read "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" when I had 100 hours. Then I ended up using it as a reference when I began teaching.

I hated that book. Just reading the title now brings back the horror.

Your old CFI must have really enjoyed making his students head explode. I probably would have gotten out of flying if I had read that book with only 100 hours and no jet time.

Heck I had a hard time understanding some of the concepts when I first read it with 5000 hours and 4000 in turbines.

flyf15 said:
Hey Guys,

So, like many here, I'd like to be an airline pilot some day. I'm currently in college and due to an easy schedule, I have some time on my hands. Can anyone recommend good books to read for the future airline pilot? Stuff that will help with interviews, getting through class easier, and generally make me a better/more desirable pilot.

I've heard that the "Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual" is a good one. I've also started reading "Instrument Flying" by Taylor, but it seems to be very elementary/basic.

Thanks much

go get an MBA screw punching holes in the sky for 15 cents an hour.

Latest resources

Back