Reading for the Future Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flyf15 said:
pilotyip, just in case it makes you feel better... I'm getting my degree out of purely personal reasons, not because I want to check off a box for airlines.

Good for you. Getting a degree gives you options that you wouldn't have without one. When you have options you are free. Just because you have a medical now doesn't mean that you will be able to get one 5,10,15 or 30 years down the road. What would you do if you couldn't get a medical? You need something to be able to fall back on just in case. A college degree helps increase your successful chances of a backup plan.

I know many pilots that tell me that not getting a degree was the biggest mistake that they ever made. One had the biggest inside track to FedEx. If he only had gotten his 4 year degree he would most likely would be flying boxes for FedEx right now. With competition being the way it is they wont bring him in for an interview until he gets that lambskin. He is desperately taking any correspondance course that he can but it is still going to take him about 2 years to finish.

flyf15 said:
Yeah, I'm actually getting a degree in Applied Math and Software Engineering.... but I'm about burned out on those two, don't think I'd ever really want a job doing either.

Dang, you sound a lot like me, except I actually have a job doing that. My B.S. is in Computer Science and Math, and I have an M.S. in Computer Science.

I work as a software engineer. Every day when I go to work and sit in my cube, I contemplate gouging my eyes out. But I suppose I'd lose my medical if I did that.

I'd give both testicles to have a flying job. Considering my current status as a single loser, I guess that wouldn't be a bad trade.

Go for it.

Flyingnerd, given your statement "I'd give both testicles to have a flying job. Considering my current status as a single loser, I guess that wouldn't be a bad trade" Which would you rather have a job as a F/O at Spirit/Air Wis./AirTran or your MIS cubical 8-5? With that guarantee would you have skipped college and gone after a flying career? As stated many times before I have nothing against a college degree, get one for whatever reason you want, fun, personal satisfaction, a career skill. By all means go for it if it is good for you. However on this board this conversation is like peeing into the wind, almost everyone has a college degree and feels everyone must be like them to successful. But it is not the only way to skin the flying cat. If someone wants to be pilot, going to college for four years prior to starting your flying is not in my opinion the only way to a successful career. Just another option. I know too many pilots who have made it to career positions at Air Tran, Spirit, SWA, CAL, UAL, NWA, and Jet Blue without degrees. Many before their 30th birthday.

Last edited:
Oh BTW Books

This started about books and got semi hijacked. Read any of E. Gann's flying books "Fate is the Hunter", "Hostage to Fortune", "Island in the sky" and "The "High and the Mighty", plus not by Gann but a good one "Before the Jets" if you can stand the sex scenes. Pete Fusco’s "Moondog Academy and other Aviation Disasters" is a good one. These books are not tech now to do it books, but I feel these books put you into the mind of the pilots, particularly the PIC and the decisions he has to make. These are guys who have been there and done that.

flyf15 said:
Hey Guys,

So, like many here, I'd like to be an airline pilot some day. I'm currently in college and due to an easy schedule, I have some time on my hands. Can anyone recommend good books to read for the future airline pilot? Stuff that will help with interviews, getting through class easier, and generally make me a better/more desirable pilot.

I've heard that the "Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual" is a good one. I've also started reading "Instrument Flying" by Taylor, but it seems to be very elementary/basic.

Thanks much

I can't imagine what would make you think an airline pilot career is worth pursuing these days. There are very few jobs out there worth the sacrifices you'll make to get there. You want some advice? Your user name says it all. Fly F-15s. :cool:

Still a great career!!

don't listen to alter, flying is still a great career almost anyone can count on making $100K per year having 10-14 days off per month by the time they are in the mid to early 30's. There is growing shortage of experienced pilots, look at the times of the new hires and the increase in the number jobs. And thing is you can make that $100K with a HS diaploma. If you really like to be around airplanes and fly, it is a great career. But if you are into flying for really big bucks, respect, recognition, and QOL you may be disappointed.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
This started about books and got semi hijacked. Read any of E. Gann's flying books "Fate is the Hunter", "Hostage to Fortune", "Island in the sky" and "The "High and the Mighty", plus not by Gann but a good one "Before the Jets" if you can stand the sex scenes. Pete Fusco’s "Moondog Academy and other Aviation Disasters" is a good one. These books are not tech now to do it books, but I feel these books put you into the mind of the pilots, particularly the PIC and the decisions he has to make. These are guys who have been there and done that.

Yeah. Especially HOSTAGE TO FORTUNE, ISLAND IN THE SKY, and THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY. I would throw in THE LEFT SEAT, also. Of course the fact that I publish these books has nothing to do with my recommendations.

www.bdkingpress.com

roger "Left Seat" read it in 1968, it ended with the Electra where I was begininng.

The best practice you can get is to pull an uncomfortable chair up to about 3 feet from your TV, put one foot on the floor and another on the TV, and read the USA Today.

Latest resources

Back