Rampers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

taters

Just wondering, Anyone flying right now that used to work ramp/ground? I worked ramp for CHQ until the station was shut down..I'm intersted if previous experience helps out or not when I'm ready get going....

God bless those in New Orleans

Last edited:
I worked on the ramp for almost three years. It's defenitely good to get networking. It's all about who you know!

If you're asking if ramp experience helps with a pilot job, the short answer is not really, but it's certainly good experience. I've flown with some guys who were working rampers who were rehired as pilots but I don't know that it helped much. What it will do is give you some perspective. I just smile when I hear people whine about lazy/inept/worthless rampers, knowing they've never been on that side of the windshield and don't have the first clue what the job entails.

fairtax.org

:cool:Yes, working the ramp definately gives you better appreciation for your job! It also helps you understand how the operation works. You have a better view of the "Big Picture" and it helps you do things better! I have to laugh when I hear people say bad things about rampers. In DFW, we had excellent ramp personel! I worked as a load master for three years at a major, and I really liked the job! Great job if you are also finishing college! Good Luck!

I think you are better off being a line guy at Million Air/Signature/Mercury. You will make better connections working at an FBO than loading bags for any airline.

blackbox said:
I think you are better off being a line guy at Million Air/Signature/Mercury. You will make better connections working at an FBO than loading bags for any airline.

I dont know, I have quite the network as a result of working the for both CHQ and now PCL. I'd have to say working the counter or gate helps to build a better network. The days when I get stuck at the counter or gate are when I usually add to my network. The days out on the ramp usually dont allow much time to network. Either way, if the airlines are the route you want to take, working on the gound can be a great help for a future pilot career.

BLing said:
I dont know, I have quite the network as a result of working the for both CHQ and now PCL. I'd have to say working the counter or gate helps to build a better network. The days when I get stuck at the counter or gate are when I usually add to my network. The days out on the ramp usually dont allow much time to network. Either way, if the airlines are the route you want to take, working on the gound can be a great help for a future pilot career.

Working for an FBO vs. an airline in regards to rampers is definitely better with respect to networking. Anyone can get the flight time mins for a regional and study up for the interview with a gouge, but its those "right place at the right times" that you can only get at an FBO working with corp pilots from all over the country. Insurance mins are usually alot more lax on the charter/corp side of things which allows someone with minimal TT to get a good 1st time F/O job flying in a Citation or King Air and then eventually move up from there. Whats sad is you can make more $$$ on the corp side of things for the first few years vs. the regionals, but than it can catch up and surpass the corp pay after a while if your fortunate. Good Luck!

BLing said:

16 different counteries while in college....most of it first class. Plus I dont like to kioss major A$$ like you would have to at an FBO. Doesn't.

blackbox said:
I respectfully disagree, A station manager willing to help you with getting hired at your airline carries a lot of weight. You can also get good advise from the pilots in the break room. Those "come fly with us" stories at FBOs are far and few between. I worked the ramp/gate for years and it was a huge help in my interview.

Latest resources

Back