Ram Air Freight - Selling Aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyerdan

Any current Ramex pilots have any news? I was looking at aero trader online and saw several Ram Air Lances, Seneca's, and Barons up for sale. Are they looking to upgrade aircraft or are they struggling for business/revenue?

I hope business is still good. I really miss that freight flying sometimes since moving on to the airlines.

I used to fly for Package Express, which Ram Air bought back in 2004 I think. Package Express sold out after the Electronic Check Act was passed and the future flying paper checks around looked bleak. It would not surprise me if it is starting to affect Ram Air now. Kind of shame though, that was one heck of a way to build time and expreience as a younger pilot. I miss it too in a way, but don't miss the lower pay and getting the crap kicked out of me in bad weather, LOL. I will probably never be as good a 'stick' as I was then though..

Re: Scuzball operation!!!!!!

Talked to guy about a year ago that worked for this outfit.He was a high timer that had quit ASA( I understand there are a lot of guys in this category),he hated the place!!This outfit did not do any mx,if you had a serious squawk,you were expected to fly anyway!!
What does this sound like??? Any place that you want to work??
I don't think so!!!
This is a scuzball operation from what I hear!!!!

Talked to guy about a year ago that worked for this outfit.He was a high timer that had quit ASA( I understand there are a lot of guys in this category),he hated the place!!This outfit did not do any mx,if you had a serious squawk,you were expected to fly anyway!!
I don't think so!!!

I bet you never flew checks.

I don't think so!!!

You shouldn't really make judgments based on something you HEARD from someone a year ago.

That operation has FAA oversight just like other Part 135 operations. Flying freight is not everyones cup of tea. It's challenging and the aircraft are pretty beat up because they are work horses. The truth is that the MX is done where it counts because the goal is to make it to the destination on time.

You need to be a good pilot and understand the full meaning of PIC in order to fly freight safely. If you can't make and hold firm on a no go decision you shouldn't be there. My experience was that it was 98% really fun flying and 2% crap. I think that is an honest evaluation.

Flying checks usually doesnt have the prettiest birds, but Ram Air was far from the best to work for. I was a CFI at one thier bases in VA and seeing their Senaca or Baron come in with only one engine was a common event. This was over 5 years ago and I know the chief pilot from then has left, but the pilots didnt have much good to say except quick multi PIC and easy schedule. The remark about write ups is closer to fact than fiction at out bases.
As far as PIC authority, well one of our CFI's that took an opportunity to work with Ram Air was "taken off the schedule" as they told him when we wanted to delay departure because of a line of thunderstorms crossing the state that he could not find a way through. Of course he was never called to be put back on the schedule. Its 50/50, some pilots came out of there saying it enhanced their skills 1000% and others come out saying the place should be shutdown and they are just happy to be alive. I have worked for 2 check haulers, one had no MEL so if it was broke, they fixed it. The other one we lived by the MEL and minimal mx. Unfortunately its the nature of check hauling in general, cutting cost to get the customer usually consist of pilot pay (lack of) and mx budget (almost non-existant).

Re:Resting My Case!!!!!!!

Flying checks usually doesnt have the prettiest birds, but Ram Air was far from the best to work for. I was a CFI at one thier bases in VA and seeing their Senaca or Baron come in with only one engine was a common event. This was over 5 years ago and I know the chief pilot from then has left, but the pilots didnt have much good to say except quick multi PIC and easy schedule. The remark about write ups is closer to fact than fiction at out bases.
As far as PIC authority, well one of our CFI's that took an opportunity to work with Ram Air was "taken off the schedule" as they told him when we wanted to delay departure because of a line of thunderstorms crossing the state that he could not find a way through. Of course he was never called to be put back on the schedule. Its 50/50, some pilots came out of there saying it enhanced their skills 1000% and others come out saying the place should be shutdown and they are just happy to be alive. I have worked for 2 check haulers, one had no MEL so if it was broke, they fixed it. The other one we lived by the MEL and minimal mx. Unfortunately its the nature of check hauling in general, cutting cost to get the customer usually consist of pilot pay (lack of) and mx budget (almost non-existant).

Hey Flyerdan dude,I rest my case!!!!!!!!!To answer your other question,I did "fly checks" breifly with another "scuzball operator",BankAir!!! I have worked for "too many scuzball operators "in my lifetime!!!If you do "what they say and take too many chances,it will cost you your certificates,but also may cost you your life"!!!!!
How many pilots has RamAir killed?????BankAir has killed many pilots over the last 5 decades!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey Flyerdan dude,I rest my case!!!!!!!!!To answer your other question,I did "fly checks" breifly with another "scuzball operator",BankAir!!! I have worked for "too many scuzball operators "in my lifetime!!!If you do "what they say and take too many chances,it will cost you your certificates,but also may cost you your life"!!!!!
How many pilots has RamAir killed?????BankAir has killed many pilots over the last 5 decades!!!!!!!

You rest your case based on another post by a person with second hand knowledge?

I can tell you that while I flew for RamAir I made the no go decision a few times and yes they did push me to go but when I held firm there were no negative consequences. Most of the equipment/mx issues I ran into were from other pilots who were too lazy to write up an aircraft. The A & P's were awesome! They even had some folks who did great metal work and paint work.

As far as I know there was only 1 pilot killed there and he flew into a tower because he was flying low level into the sun. Since then, they changed their flight rules to IFR flight plans only so pilots would comply with MEA's, etc.

As for pay, yea it is low. But the decision we often make is if we want to build time by renting a twin at $150 or more an hour, or if we want to get paid (even paid at a low salary) while flying and building experience in the IFR system.

Like I said, it isn't everyones cup of tea. Some people have the money to build time flying nice shiny twins and others have to do it the hard way. I can tell you one thing for certain and that is when it comes time for an airline interview you will get a leg up if you have freight dog experience on your resume.

Only one fatal that I know of. A pilot decided to fly VFR in IFR conditions, and impacted a antenna. Now you can not fly VFR there.

It is what it is, a experience building job. Anyone wanting to stay there any longer than they have to is nuts.

I think its sad that we are seeing stick and rudder type jobs disappear from the market, and I am not saying that Ram Air is top notch either, but it is a check hauler, and besides Airnet, I have never heard of a check hauler that someone hung around at. There is a reason for that.

Latest resources

Back