• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Avi8tor2000

Big Papa
Ok, here's another "what would you do" situation:

Currently in top 15% at Republic, on the 170, with a highly commutable schedule. W2'd just over $85k in 2007. Job offer received by UAL.

Mid 20s, single, no degree.

I'm thinking it would pretty much be a guaranteed furlough soon after class with the prices of fuel, age 60, mergers, etc. (And it might be a very long one at that...)

Would you?

Go to UAL! You're in your mid 20s and considering being a lifer? Are you on the company crack?

Remember what UAL did with their furloughees.
Our airline hired about 150 of them, so they flew during their off period. Great group!

How much turbine PIC do you have? I'd get working on that degree ASAP. Look at the schools that offer the degree online such as UVSC.

he's top 15% at RAH, TPIC is not the issue. Are they offering a class date? Try to defer it, this whole superfreak these past few weeks in regards to oil could dramatically reverse itself soon. They haven't hired that many people yet, and they were understaffed. I'd go go go. Live in base. Seniority rules. Be top 100 in the company for the last 10 years you work there!

Unless you want to be a lifer.

I'd go for it. The worst that's gonna happen is you get furloughed, like someone else already mentioned UAL got jobs for their furloughed guys after 9/11

Go. You got the job offer without the degree. Get on the list. If you're in your mid 20's the earning potential between the two companies doesn't even compare, even with a furlough.

From a 10 year XJT lifer, I'd say go. You're to young to stay at RJET, if you're gonna stay in this career, GO to UAL!

You're in the top 15% and are in your mid 20's now ? Were you a fetus when you were hired ? I'm actually closer to the top ten percent,and most of the 300'S are 2001-2002 hires.How does one manage a job offer from UAL with no degree when I'm sure they have literally thousands of apps on file ? Inquiring minds want to know.

What has happened with the hiring practices at the majors? You do not have a degree? Well, at least you can push up those thrust levers with your right hand as well as your left hand.

I would have never guessed that going to college would hurt my chances with getting on at a major. I could have saved myself four years of tuition and made more money by upgrading years ago. What was I thinking?

To answer your question directly, if you even have to think about this decision you deserve to stay at Republic.

Latest resources

Back