• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RAH vs. UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Decision made for me. UAL class cancelled. Told I will remain in pool for 1 year.

Sometimes you get alittle luck to come your way, although i sorry you lost the class but good it was cx before you sent in the "i'm outta here letter/email".

I wish US would let us j4j stay another year. I'm looking at a take it or leave it April 14th class at US.

I don't want to sound ungreatful as my number at a major sort of fell in my lap (ALG to MDA to j4j fiasco) but I'm not too sure what the next 12 months or so will bring.

This may be my only shot at a major so I guess its batter up. But then again I'm holding a line, living in base and making close to 6 figures here at Rep.

Here's to hoping I don't strike out.

You are in your twenties and in the top 15% earning 85K a year? Stay at RAH. Most people who get hired at Legacies or places like Southwest or Fedex are in their early 30s. Wait for the next upturn and enjoy your seniority at RAH. You have plenty of time. If you think you will be furloughed, then don't leave RAH.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Agreed. Dont trade your life for a chance to have a bigger ego. Youll make nearly the same for the next 10 years at UAL being an 320 FO that you would be on the 170. Id rather be a captain then an FO on reserve and wondering if im gonna be laid off tommrrow. If you are one of the geeks who flying is everything in your life, then go for it. If you like all the other things and life, id stay.

Mine is a little different situation, but I left the left seat in the ERJ at XJT about a year and a half ago for CAL and looking back it was the best decision I ever made. First year pay was miserable, but in the second year I am nearly back to the pay rate I was at when I left Express. Schedule-wise I know I got lucky, but I am on the 737 in Newark and was on reserve for only three weeks. I am already over half way up the list on my base seniority list which gets me all weekends off, commutable trips as well as last Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years off. As far as ego goes, I can say flying a bigger plane is neat but after about 2 months it's basically just another flying job, so if you are looking to change jobs just for the Boeing or Airbus type, don't do it. If you are all about ego, it's nice having the option the have the 767, 777, and soon 787 to bid if you are into that. What is different is how you are treated when you have a "Major" airline employee badge. The gate agents for the most part are more respectful and abiding than I ever experienced with Express. When jumpseating on other airlines, either Mainline or and Express carrier, you are treated with more esteem and are less scrutinized. When riding on a van with Pilots or even Flight Attendants another carrier to the hotel you aren't looked down upon as the the little $%^ who is stealing our jobs (as I was when I was with Express for 6.5 years). I've had 3 FAA observation rides in while with CAL and 2 ramp checks and I can honestly say even the FAA treat you with more respect, you are looked at more as a seasoned Pilot as opposed to a "Student Pilot" on his/her way up who needs to be watched a little more closely. As far as what the future may hold, who knows, TWA and PanAm were the jobs to have in the 70's and 80's as did USAir in the early 90's, and none of us would have wanted to be at any of those carriers. The day we know that the right decisions were made about our careers is the day we taxi into the gate with a water cannon salute and have enough cash to live comfortably for the rest of our lives. But, I do think that when I retire in 35 years Continental is a lot more likely to be around than a Republic, ExpressJet, Eagle, Comair, and definitely Mesa. I feel I made the right decision and just wanted to share a few of my observations. Good luck with you decisions, I hope you all retire happy.

Mine is a little different situation, but I left the left seat in the ERJ at XJT about a year and a half ago for CAL and looking back it was the best decision I ever made. First year pay was miserable, but in the second year I am nearly back to the pay rate I was at when I left Express. Schedule-wise I know I got lucky, but I am on the 737 in Newark and was on reserve for only three weeks. I am already over half way up the list on my base seniority list which gets me all weekends off, commutable trips as well as last Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years off. As far as ego goes, I can say flying a bigger plane is neat but after about 2 months it's basically just another flying job, so if you are looking to change jobs just for the Boeing or Airbus type, don't do it. If you are all about ego, it's nice having the option the have the 767, 777, and soon 787 to bid if you are into that. What is different is how you are treated when you have a "Major" airline employee badge. The gate agents for the most part are more respectful and abiding than I ever experienced with Express. When jumpseating on other airlines, either Mainline or and Express carrier, you are treated with more esteem and are less scrutinized. When riding on a van with Pilots or even Flight Attendants another carrier to the hotel you aren't looked down upon as the the little $%^ who is stealing our jobs (as I was when I was with Express for 6.5 years). I've had 3 FAA observation rides in while with CAL and 2 ramp checks and I can honestly say even the FAA treat you with more respect, you are looked at more as a seasoned Pilot as opposed to a "Student Pilot" on his/her way up who needs to be watched a little more closely. As far as what the future may hold, who knows, TWA and PanAm were the jobs to have in the 70's and 80's as did USAir in the early 90's, and none of us would have wanted to be at any of those carriers. The day we know that the right decisions were made about our careers is the day we taxi into the gate with a water cannon salute and have enough cash to live comfortably for the rest of our lives. But, I do think that when I retire in 35 years Continental is a lot more likely to be around than a Republic, ExpressJet, Eagle, Comair, and definitely Mesa. I feel I made the right decision and just wanted to share a few of my observations. Good luck with you decisions, I hope you all retire happy.

The big difference is that CAL actually has a plan and it is adding airplanes. UAL has ZERO plan and its fleet growth has STALLED. CAL, despite its terrible lack of healthcare for the first 6 months, would be a better option than UAL. Now, if CAL and UAL merge, all bets are off... Cross your fingers that doesn't happen...

Latest resources

Back