RAH vs. UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, here's another "what would you do" situation:

Currently in top 15% at Republic, on the 170, with a highly commutable schedule. W2'd just over $85k in 2007. Job offer received by UAL.

Mid 20s, single, no degree.

I'm thinking it would pretty much be a guaranteed furlough soon after class with the prices of fuel, age 60, mergers, etc. (And it might be a very long one at that...)

Would you?
This can not be a serious question can it? You are in your mid 20s and you are considering being a RAH lifer?? Take the UAL job, if they furlough go fly 135 for a while, and wait to be recalled. Dont even consider not taking the next class offered.

Go to UAL! You're in your mid 20s and considering being a lifer? Are you on the company crack?

I couldn't have said it any better!! To the original poster, dont be a moron. Go to UAL. I am in my mid 20's left a "good" regional capt. job for NWA and haven't looked back. You have 30+ years left in this industry, GO!

United Air parent to shrink fleet to conserve fuel

Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:25am EDT
CHICAGO (Reuters) - UAL Corp (UAUA.O: Quote, Profile, Research), parent of United Airlines, will shrink its fleet by up to 4 percent this year to combat the skyrocketing cost of jet fuel, the chief executive of the No. 2 U.S. carrier said on Tuesday.
In a message to employees, Glenn Tilton said the airline aims to eliminate 15 to 20 of its older, less fuel efficient narrow-body planes. United's fleet currently has 460 aircraft.
The airline industry has been battered by rising fuel costs, which are directly linked to the price of oil. A barrel of crude touched a record high on Monday of $111.80 CLc1.
"Continued uncertainty about the overall U.S. economy with the price of fuel at historically high levels has put significant pressure on all U.S. carriers," Tilton said.
United and other airlines have attempted to offset the fuel burden with fuel surcharges, fare hikes and charging for services that previously were including in the fare. But some experts say airlines may find it harder to pass the expense to travelers if a weaker economy erodes travel demand.
The fleet reduction is part of a broader effort to offset a possible $1 billion increase in fuel costs in 2008, UAL's Chief Financial Officer Jake Brace said in a statement earlier on Tuesday.
The airline currently has 20 percent of its anticipated 2008 fuel requirements hedged, Brace said. That's up from 16 percent as reported in previous regulatory filings.
Shares of UAL were up 30 cents at $21.21 on Nasdaq.
(Reporting by Kyle Peterson; Editing by Derek Caney)

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and

Go to UAL. How did you get hired without the degree, BTW?

Thank you all for wonderfully proving my point. I started this thread to prove a point to a friend outside of the industry who was wondering why one would leave a high-paying job (and yes, $85k a year is high paying in your mid 20s no matter what your opinion of RAH may be) where I only have to work half the month. No matter how much explaining I did, there was no convincing. Looking at it from someone who has not been entirely jaded by this industry put an interesting perspective on the situation. Thanks again.

BTW...My choice has been made, you can let this thread gracefully die now.

Thank you all for wonderfully proving my point. I started this thread to prove a point to a friend outside of the industry who was wondering why one would leave a high-paying job (and yes, $85k a year is high paying in your mid 20s no matter what your opinion of RAH may be) where I only have to work half the month. No matter how much explaining I did, there was no convincing. Looking at it from someone who has not been entirely jaded by this industry put an interesting perspective on the situation. Thanks again.

BTW...My choice has been made, you can let this thread gracefully die now.

Regardless of your choice, you are a moron if you don't finish a degree in the near term...

Regardless of your choice, you are a moron if you don't finish a degree in the near term...

Regardless of his choice, he's now working for a legacy carrier.

If he's furloughed, all a degree will do is guarantee him getting a JOB. Istead of flying airplanes for a living.

When people make this statement I gringe. Aquiring a degree for pesonal enhancment (or proper writting and spelling skills)...maybe. Because someone says you have to...NO WAY!

Given UAL's decision to ground airplanes, I presume you will elect to stay at RAH. That would be the correct decision.

Latest resources

Back