Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NYCPilot said:
How about "cessna 54321 number 3 west side, ready to go"

Not only are there 2 in front of him, but several on the east side as well. ATC is aware of both sides and will alternate when feasible (maybe put a jet in front of all small GA).
No need to call if you're not holding short.

Sounds like someone loves HPN also!

I am defending the "on the meter" thing....I don't use it regularly or habitually, but when I have been given a lot of info and am distracted with something else (such as dialing in the new altitude he gave me and remembering the crossing restirction and punching in the new direct to wherever all while listening to the altimeter....you guys have been there), I will read back with an "on the meter" just to give that little piece of info something a little different than a blob of numbers so that by the time i do dial it in, i am not dialing in the wrong number. But by then I am asking for it again anyway, so why did i bother writing this??

SkyBoy1981 said:
With that being said, there are smaller airports that DO expect you to call ready when you are number one, otherwise you will sit there until they get a call from you. You just have to know how to adapt to the facility.
And therin lies the rub. The preference varies not only form airport ot airport, but from controller to controller.

I fly a large (but not turbine) airplane out of a moderately busy international cargo hub. I have on occasion been ignored when we have not called ready, and even had hte controller ask in a peevish, obviously irritated tone if we were ready yet. I have also had controllers respond in a peevish, irriteted tone when we *have* called ready. If you've got the secret code for determining which controllers want you to call ready and which don't I'd be grateful if you'd share it.

dhc8fo said:
I will read back with an "on the meter" just to give that little piece of info something a little different than a blob of numbers ......
So if you're saying on the meter for your own personal clarification, what would be wrong with saying "altimeter xx.xx" instead of "xx.xx on the meter" It is unarguabley clearer (clarity was your justification, right?), shorter and doesn't make you sound like you're trying to be cool.

Last edited:
A Squared said:
So if you're saying on the meter for your own personal clarification, what would be wrong with saying "altimeter xx.xx" instead of "xx.xx on the meter" It is unarguabley clearer (clarity was your justification, right?), shorter and doesn't make you sound like you're trying to be cool.

I think it has something to do with my literature background and iambic pentameter ....:eek: did I say that?

i find it easier to say "four zero on the meter" than "altimeter four zero."

dhc8fo said:
just to give that little piece of info something a little different than a blob of numbers
Funny...I've gotten to the point where I love to just give back the numbers.

Sometimes I think controllers may get mixed up when I toss back a "3 8 in 10 23.25 6552 18L"...but not a problem yet.

And yes...callsign and altitude (and ATIS if it's an approach handoff) when handed off...no "checkin in wit'cha" necessary "Approach, Cessna 1238X 8,000 Bravo" is plenty

-mini

dhc8fo said:
I think it has something to do with my literature background and iambic pentameter ....:eek: did I say that?

i find it easier to say "four zero on the meter" than "altimeter four zero."
yes, but "in the meter" is two feet, not five, and meter is not an iamb.

I probably shouldn't admit to knowing that on an aviation board.

What I'd like to know is why, if controllers are so irate about unnecessary radio chatter, do some controllers/facilities just expect you'll switch over to Tower freq at some point on the taxi out (smart) while others (DEN ground, for example) spend probably 1/3 of their time telling airplanes to switch over to the Tower (not smart). Some days you can't get a word in edgewise while holding on the ramp, trying to contact Ground for taxi clearance (along with 12 other guys stepping on each other, not even counting the INBOUND airplanes) because the Ground freq is tied up with the Ground Controller himself going right down the line of aircraft already taxiing outbound:

"Frontier 859 monitor Tower 133.3"
"133.3, Frontier 859"
"United 567, monitor Tower 133.3"
"Roger, 133.3, United's 567"
"Champion 2962, monitor Tower now 133.3"
"Turty Tree and a Turd, Champion 2962"
Sound of loud screeching tones as four airplanes call simultaneously.
"Everybody just stand by, I'll call you when I get to you!!"
"Frontier 405, Frontier 405, are you still with me?
"Affirmative, 405"
"Frontier 405, monitor tower now on 133.3"
"Triple three's, Frontier 405, G'Day!"
"Good Day. Who's number 3 at 4E?" (since there are now 5 airplanes stacked up at 4E, unable to communicate)
"Skywest 456 is number 3 at 4E with October"
"Skywest 456, taxi via Lima to Echo Delta, then right on Echo Delta to Mike, Left on Mike to Runway 8"
"Roger, 8 via Lima, Echo Delta and then Mike, Skywest 456"
"And Skywest 456, monitor Tower on 133.3"

AAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH! Put up a freakin' sign or something, like SFO or LAX.

Latest resources

Back