Radio Technique

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jafo20

I was reading that "Pet Peeves" thread, and I noticed a lot of people complaining about guys saying "with you", "checking on", "on the meter", "later guys" etc. The vast majority of your complaints are valid. Still, I want to point out a some things, so people don't think every Northwest pilot, freighter or Ex Pan-Am guy is a dope.

First the FAR and AIM don't prohibit the use of these phrases. In fact, the AIM says common language is acceptable if it facilitates communications. So, as long as they're not blocking an already congested frequency, they're okay. The experienced pilots who are relaxed and "unprofessional" on the radio near Bangor, ME are disciplined and sharp near Boston. One of the qualities of a professional is that he can adapt to changing situations. These guys aren't doing anything wrong, and they're adapting their comm styles to suit their environment. They slow things down, when they can so they can avoid reading back another person's clearance, etc.

Also, when you hear someone who can't reach ATC to cancel their IFR, pick up a clearance, whatever, it's usually one of the "With you" types who'll relay a clearance or forward a cancellation. (Thanks SWA, NWA, AMF for help.)

Guys who read back altimeter settings with "on the meter", "inches", etc. may have valid reasons for making "on the meter" a habit.

Example:

LMT522: "Ryebread, Lunchmeat 522 level one-six thousand."

Rye : "Lunchmeat 522, Ryebread altimeter 023, climb and maintain 320."

It's not uncommon for people to mistake altimeter settings for altitudes/speeds/headings and vice versa. Saying "on the meter" or something to that effect can save more confusion later.

Again, the vast majority of radio complaints are valid. It's frustrating waiting for some guy to make a speech, just so you can check on frequency. I just want to point out that some of the guys who seem "unprofessional" may know facts and tactics that you and I haven't learned.

it might be as simple as some wanting to feel like John Wayne on the radio....

"cessna 1234 punching out"

It's not the airline guys (mostly) who are guilty of poor radio skills. It's the 70 year old doctor in his Bonanza, the 300 hour "Top-Gun" instructor trying to be cool, and the students/new private pilots who learned from the aforementioned instructor.

There is no excuse for saying "on the meter", or "with you" or "checking in." It's common knowledge that it is redundant and unnecessary. Same reason you don't check on with your aircraft type and location. Call sign and altitude are all that's needed for the controller to do his/her job.

Now I shall add to the list:

"With a flash"
"Identing"
"Uhhhhhhh"

I second the doctor thing....way too wordy. When I fly with one I just want to jump in and make it succinct.

I actually make it a challenge in saying the least possible in the most concise way.

No delay: I know! Look at how much typing I did! My wirsts are sore, and I haven't used any kleenex.

NYC pilot: You're correct for a number of cases.

PilotMikeTX: Agreed about doctors in 310s and Bonanzas. "On the meter" is definitely redundant, but it may save confusion later.

I'm not making an arguement for us all to run around saying "with a flash!", "On the meter", etc. I'm saying there are sometimes reasons for a guy to incorporate some redundancy. Is it unprofessional to verify a clearance to land?

Last edited:
The fellow I was flying with the other day was the NFP. As we're about 100 yards from the runway, tower says "XXXXX, hold short of runway 22 for landing traffic."

I though that was odd, since we weren't there yet and hadn't made any calls, but maybe it was a pre-emptive "Shhhh." No problem, and my FO reads back the hold short.

Not ten seconds later, we finish our checklist, and he chimes in on tower again: "Tower, XXXX ready for takeoff."

"Uhhhh....yeah. Again, hold short of runway 22. Traffic is now on a 1/4-mile final."

AAAAAAAAHHHHH! :uzi:

Actually it came out more like, "Chief, I think that's probably why he told us to hold short for landing traffic the first time." I'm sure the tower was thinking the same thing.

That's a real peeve. If there are three airplanes in front of you taxiing out, or there's a plane on short final, Don't call ready for takeoff! Turbines are assumed to be ready upon reaching. It's right there in the ATC manual. If you think they forgot about you, that's one thing, but look up before calling!

How about "cessna 54321 number 3 west side, ready to go"

Not only are there 2 in front of him, but several on the east side as well. ATC is aware of both sides and will alternate when feasible (maybe put a jet in front of all small GA).
No need to call if you're not holding short.

jafo20 said:
So, as long as they're not blocking an already congested frequency, they're okay. The experienced pilots who are relaxed and "unprofessional" on the radio near Bangor, ME are disciplined and sharp near Boston. One of the qualities of a professional is that he can adapt to changing situations.
OK, the thing is, you don't neccesarily know how busy a controller is. He's not working just one frequency, and he may or may not be making all transmissions over all frequencies. I think you'll find that the center controllers who are working lower traffic density areas are working sectors which cover a whole lot more territory. The guy you talk to in Maine may be just as busy as the guy you talk to in Boston, he may just not sound like it on the one frequency you're tuned to.

Over the years, I've read a bunch of articles written by controllers, from the regular column Don Brown writes on Avweb to ones published in IFR magazine and others and the *one* thing that they *ALL* hate is the extraneous time wasters like "checking in", "with you". Make your initial call up with callsign and altitude, period, just like in the AIM.

CA1900 said:
Turbines are assumed to be ready upon reaching. It's right there in the ATC manual. If you think they forgot about you, that's one thing, but look up before calling!
I agree with the gist of your post....I used to fly with a guy that ALWAYS wanted to call ready for takeoff, even if he's back #20 in line for takeoff. He just wasn't used to operating out of busier airports. With that being said, there are smaller airports that DO expect you to call ready when you are number one, otherwise you will sit there until they get a call from you. You just have to know how to adapt to the facility.

Latest resources

Back