Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T

TDTURBO

I was recently asked if I could take a radio show personality up for an airplane ride and fake a heart attack while on the air live. A caller would then call in and talk this person down.

I was wondering if this violates any federal regs. I will be flying the whole time but the listeners will think otherwise. It will be out of an uncontrolled airfield away from any class D or above.

I was told they did this in Denver and the feds got involved.( I don't know what station or what the charge was).

What would be some things I need to worry about? Thanks!.....

P.S., I'll let you know exactly what radio show it's on and what time when I'm sure it's safe.

RUN if there was even a chance the feds would question this stunt. Personally I think it would be a great prank.

I was told they did this in Denver and the feds got involved.( I don't know what station or what the charge was). What would be some things I need to worry about?

Umm... I would worry about the fact they did it in Denver and the Feds got involved. :rolleyes:

FLpilot said:
Umm... I would worry about the fact they did it in Denver and the Feds got involved. :rolleyes:

I am worried....a little. Thats why I want to here about possible problems. I plan on giving a fake N-number and name on the radio.

What could possibly be illegal about it? The guy that told me about the Denver show said that he thought the charge was reckless endangerment or something to that effect.

Any lawyers out there?

I could just see someone calling 911 then a local controller and then you may have some explaining to do but i would love to hear the person who calls in and thinks he has what it takes to "talk someone down" i can just hear some old guy saying " looks like i picked a hell of a day to quit sniffing glue" it would almost be worth it. good luck!

TDTurbo,

I hope that you aren't seriously considering getting involved with this. Hey, I can understand the appeal, it's a great prank........but, it's also assisting the media in feeding the public's fears about flying.

Think about it before you get involved in something that only serves to hurt the public's perception of flying.

regards

another thought -- why not do it from a sim somewhere and play some sound effects no one would know the difference

A Squared,

You raise a good point,
I never thought about that, but this is a radio show that most people take with a grain of salt. I do not want to contribute to this perception however. I doubt many listeners will be swayed one way or another as to flying in small planes, especially if this radio personality is successful in landing it with 0 hrs. It would'nt be that much different than the movie "Airplane".

I'm sure people that take this stuff seriously should walk to work anyway.

Fankbama,
I love the, "sniffing glue", comment.........keep'em coming!

I thought about the sim thing.....too hard to make it realistic, besides, it's more fun to fly!

There might be a lot of cool ideas for the show yet to be uncovered!

Last edited:
If you do, do it, take a video camera, and attach so it can see that you were PIC the entire time.

Also I would also put a digicam with a fish eye lens, on the wing strut attach it with a Bogen Superclamp and magic arm, and use a remote release, that would make some intresting photos for them to put up on their website.

It sounds pretty funny, but so do a lot of things-it doesnt mean they're good ideas.
Consider a worst case scenario; there are a lot of things that may get you in trouble on this I'm sure. Possibly with the FCC as well as FAA. Have this in mind before you do it, and have a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed good way to explain it to a crusty old Chief Pilot in a future interview if it does go badly for you.

Latest resources

Back