• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radio Show Antics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder whether there might also be any interstate problems from flying/broadcasting in one state while pretending an emergency in another????

I am familiar with Mancow and Q101.

I would encourage you to avoid this stunt. We don't need to foster the public's misperception and fear of small airplanes.

While the general public will eventually realize this is a prank, there will be some moments of terror that a small plane is about to "crash into their heads".

This is a time we need to be proactive to protect our passion from a public that would rather take our right to fly away.
A juvenile prank like this is the last thing we need to add to our poor image right now. Being assocoated with Mancow is no honor either.

Sorry for being a wet blanket, but I encourage you not to partake in this stunt.

Think again

GA is already cast is a bad light. Why would you feed the fire?

I think you're letting your desire to be on the radio interefere with your objectivity. This would be a dumb thing to do (and I think you know it) and you could possibly get into some trouble.

Don't do it.

After thinking some more about this, I'm very concerned about the safety and PR implications this will have for general aviation.

I just spoke to Inspector Sandy Boerman at the DuPage FSDO. I told her about the proposed prank, and that it would be on Q101 on Tuesday morning. If you think I'm bluffing, call her at (630) 443-3100. She seemed very concerned about possible false 911 calls and unecessary deployment of emergency personnel. She also seemed concerned about the bad publicity it would bring both pilots and the FAA when it is realized this was a hoax.

I hope this is added insurance that you will make the right decision and not partake in this prank.

everyone needs to lighten up! being scared of everything is whats brought us here in the first place as soon as it was over everyone would know it's a prank anyway it's not like these people will spend the rest of their lives thinking some dj got talked down. or pilots were flying around having heart attacks.

relax, go get in your minivan with eight airbags go down to the store and buy yourself a six back but make sure it's organic and doesn't contain any fat, better yet no alcohol just drink a pepsi instead it's much safer and besides you would not want to explain drinking a beer once in your airline interview.

Remember the violations and public uproar last year over pilots dropping paper towels over a stadium? Nothing lethal, harmful, or otherwise dangerous really. But public fear ruled the day, and the FAA took a dim view of the antics. Like it or not, as pilots we have to be mindful of public perception and do our best to present ourselves and our industry in a favorable light.

I seem to recall a CFI that got a little too realistic training his students in engine failures and policeman actually responded when he witnessed the airplane go out of sight over a bluff. The cop got in too much of a hurry, got in an accident and suspended. He then pressed the FAA for enforcement action since the "emergency" he was responding to wasn't real. They ended up suspending the dudes certificate I believe because he failed to to teach the procedure in accordance with the Flight Training Handbook. Don't quote me on that part though.

I think they can pull off this prank without being anywhere near an airplane. If you take part, you may not be anywhere near an airplane for a while.

I'm a little more dense than most, but I don't understand why you would even need to fly, for this event. It's a radio program, after all. If you're willing to falsify a coronary, then why not falsify the flight?

Why even make it an issue? Do the radio show if you like, but why even bother with getting the airplane out of the hangar?

Since you will be the pilot in command and ultimately the final authority as to how to safely conduct the flight...

Here is something to consider, been to federal building lately? Take a look at the plexiglass that in the windows of the offices - it is nearly 1 inch thick and capable of withstanding some heavy firepower. It did not used to be like that. Think the government is any mood for practical jokes and foolish pranks? The feds like the FAA, and TSA have absolutely no sense of humor these days so it seems to me that although humorous, a stunt like this will ultimately find you answering questions to some very unsympathetic federales!

Why dont you email or call AOPA's legal counsel, Bruce Landsberg, and ask his opinion. Next, make an appointment with a FSDO inspector and get his/her take on this since the FSDO will be a promary point of contact for subsequent investigations.

Finally, think long and hard about this - vioaltion of the FAA or TSA regulations is a federal offense which means under the right circumstances you can and possibly will be detained in a federal detention facility, possibly indefinitely, should the authorities feel such action is warranted.

Sounds pretty funny, but don't do it. There are just some pranks that you need to say no to.

As far as the FAR's if they want to violate you they will find a way, but like you said you own the airplane and you don't fly professionally, who cares if they suspend your license? Take a month off flying, conveniently doing an annual at the same time.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the FAR's since you're not a professional, what I'd be worried about is your own personal liability legal and civil. I think the cops have an open and shut case for reckless endangerment.

Even more importantly is the civil liability; do you own a house or anything of value? Well, if I have an accident sometime on Tuesday morning, I'm calling 800-thehawk (or any other sleaze ball) and telling him, I've badly injured myself because, while driving to work, I was looking out at the sky, since according to Q101 there is an out of control airplane flying around!

Maybe, do something else that might be a little less endangering! Maybe have Turd get sick or something and have to drop a turd from 6000'. Then have someone else call in saying they got "turded on"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back