• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radio Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
man, some of ya need to check into the availability of valium at your local drugstore. granted, ive been known to roll my eyes at a comment or two that ive heard over the radio, but to get so worked up over it...y'all need a freakin hobby :p

one petpieve of mine.....................MEMPHIS CENTER END OF STORY!!!!!!!

Being a low time private pilot, my biggest pet peeve is pilots asking for a traffic advisory at an airport with an AWOS/ASOS, or with traffic already in the pattern making announcements. I learned to fly at an airport that hardly had any traffic, had no AWOS... just a windsock. So, I don't understand why you would need a traffic advisory at an airport that does have AWOS, and/or has traffic telling you which runway they're using. Even more annoying is the pilot that asks for a traffic advisory repeatedly and gets annoyed when there is no response--like he needs someone else to tell him where to land, and can't figure it out on his own.

As far as "any traffic please advise," I think it is just not needed. If a pilot hears a Citation coming into his airport, he is going to advise, whether or not the phrase "please advise" is used. The fact that pilots start responding when you say "any traffic please advise" is coincidental. They respond not because you ask them to, but because they become aware of you and want to tell you that they are there. This happens whether you say that phrase or not.

It has been my experience that any traffic pattern announcement (i.e. "Cessna 12345, 5 miles west, blah blah blha...") causes everyone else to announce their position. Even if you want to rely on the radio instead of your eyes, which is not recommended, you still don't need that extra "magical" phrase. Announce your position, and the other pilots will, too. Not saying "any traffic please advise" will not result in the pilots ignoring you or purposely not advising--that is just absurd. The pilots do not think to themseleves, "hey, there is a citation coming in, but he did not ask the traffic to advise, so I am not going to say anything." What they think is, "hey, someone else is coming in, I'll make sure they know I'm here." And of course to say "any traffic please advise" at an airport where the traffic is already making advisories is really outdoing it.

"Niner" is part of the phonetic alphabet. If you don't use Niner for 9 you might as well not say Alpha or Bravo etc. either.

Last edited:
ATC

How many times have you called approach, told them who, what and where you were and said you had whatever current information is on the atis, only for them to call you back and say: "so and so, say aircraft type and altitude and advise you have whatever information"? Drives me nuts.

And while I am talking about ATC....

I also had an approach controller forget I was IFR recently. It was late and the tower was closed at the field I was going into to and after he told me to squwak VFR and frequency changed approved I said I'd go ahead and cancel - he says "Uhh... oh yeah, I forgot about that. Cancellation received."

Does that happen very often?

$ 0.02

DMSPILOT SAID:Being a low time private pilot, my biggest pet peeve is pilots asking for a traffic advisory at an airport with an AWOS/ASOS, or with traffic already in the pattern making announcements. I learned to fly at an airport that hardly had any traffic, had no AWOS... just a windsock. So, I don't understand why you would need a traffic advisory at an airport that does have AWOS, and/or has traffic telling you which runway they're using. Even more annoying is the pilot that asks for a traffic advisory repeatedly and gets annoyed when there is no response--like he needs someone else to tell him where to land, and can't figure it out on his own.

How many times have you approached an uncontrolled field with AWOS/ASOS and still found 2 guys on opposite traffic patterns? I can think of a few. Maybe in a 172 where you can overfly the field and enter the pattern after surveying the traffic around you don't need to. But when we come in after the tower is closed on a heavy jet where you get setup for a 20 mile straight in ILS by Center it's in my opinion important to get a traffic advisory if you can of others in the area.
"With you" is a minor annoyance, but it only takes 1/2 second to say, and it's appended to the end of the transmission. It is better than "checking in," which is more annoying, because it is placed in the middle of the transmission and takes longer to say; it interrupts the standard transmission. If you say "with you," you're merely saying the standard transmission and then adding two words. If you say "checking in" you alter the entire thing. Not that it bothers me much, but that is my unique perspective on the subject.

I cannot see a difference between "Citation123 checking in at FL310" and Citation 123 with you at FL310"

I get more annoyed by people not listening and stepping over each other.

:D

Humorous - not a pet peeve...

Several years ago while on arrival to SAT, as typical for summer afternoons, there was a pretty good thunderstorm passing over the airport/city at the time. We were being sequenced for the approach behind another aircraft when the controller advised the aircraft ahead of us (US Air as I recall - before they pulled out of SAT) of the current boundary winds for the airport, decreasing visibility, and the possibity of windshear. The controller then asked them if they wanted to continue or proceed to the VOR and hold until the weather passed? The response was "I think we will take the hold, the radar is purple! (pause) I have never seen purple before!"

Of course the controller then asked our intentions? Well neither of us had ever seen that much majenta on radar either -- we decided to hold as well!

Last edited:
Re: $ 0.02

dsee8driver said:
Maybe in a 172 where you can overfly the field and enter the pattern after surveying the traffic around you don't need to. But when we come in after the tower is closed on a heavy jet where you get setup for a 20 mile straight in ILS by Center it's in my opinion important to get a traffic advisory if you can of others in the area.

I cannot see a difference between "Citation123 checking in at FL310" and Citation 123 with you at FL310"

It is obvious I wasn't talking about you or your jet that you fly, but about the 98% of the pilots that fly at uncontrolled airports, which are in GA piston planes. Good lord!!!! If there are people flying opposite patterns, then the person entering the pattern would either hear them or see them, with no requirement for saying "traffic advisory please," repeated every 30 seconds. Like you said... you get annoyed by people who don't listen, and people who have to *beg* the unicom for an advisory are an example.

I don't know what I was talking about with the with you vs checking in thing, so forget I said that, but I do find the latter more annoying. I thought this thread was about pet peeves, so it does not matter if you have the same ones that I do or not.

Last edited:
Although sometimes they can be funny, people who use the radio to carry on conversations with their friends can be rather rude... "Hey Bob, what's up?"

One other thing. If I tell ATC I am "Cessna 12345," why do they sometimes call me "November 345?" It should either be November 12345, Cessna 12345, or Cessna 345, or just 345.... not N345. N345 is not my tail number! It just doesn't make sense.

It is obvious I wasn't talking about you or your jet that you fly, but about the 98% of the pilots that fly at uncontrolled airports, which are in GA piston planes. Good lord!!!! If there are people flying opposite patterns, then the person entering the pattern would either hear them or see them, with no requirement for saying "traffic advisory please," repeated every 30 seconds. Like you said... you get annoyed by people who don't listen, and people who have to *beg* the unicom for an advisory are an example.

Someone who requests a traffic advisory every 30 seconds is definetly out of place. But whether you fly a big jet or a 150, I don't think it's out of place to request a traffic advisory 10 or so miles from an airport. It can only help in getting the big picture. Ofcourse we can not ASSUME everyone flies like me or you and will make the appropiate calls.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back