• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radio Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If anyone thinks "with you" is bad... how about "witch you" ?!?!? I have heard that from a few pilots.

One thing that gets me...

"XXX Approach, Cessna 12YZ at twenty-five hundred, about 12.7 miles from the airport, inbound with information golf."

Like the .7 miles is really significant :rolleyes:

As mentioned earlier, I don't mind the "good day," "see ya," etc. as long as it's not "123.45 see ya." If there was ever an accident (and I hope there's not) and there was a lot of radio communication going on, all that would do is cause more time and confusion while deciphering the tapes. I routinely use "Piper 123AB, frequency 123.45, good day sir (or ma'am)". I have been praised by a controller or two for this.

Piss match...NOT

dmspilot00 One other thing. If I tell ATC I am "Cessna 12345," why do they sometimes call me "November 345?" It should either be November 12345, Cessna 12345, or Cessna 345, or just 345.... not N345. N345 is not my tail number! It just doesn't make sense.

DMS...I think you should read the AIM under communications and phraseology. You yourslef say it should be November 12345, well guess what ATC can and will shorten it to N345 and it's perfectly legal.. Maybe ATCER can add to this ....

Re: $ 0.02

dsee8driver said:
I cannot see a difference between "Citation123 checking in at FL310" and "Citation 123 with you at FL310."
There is no difference. They're equally annoying.

"Checking in?" Why stop there? Why not say "Cessna Citation 123 is checking in with you, center, on the radio, using frequency 133.07." "Checking in" is superfluous. We know you're checking in!

What's wrong with "Center, Citation One-Two-Three, Flight Level Three-One-Zero, good morning." (Yes, I know "good morning" isn't by the book. Using proper phraseology doesn't mean you can't be courteous.)

Off the subject: I once heard a flustered controller tell someone "last aircraft that called, I got voice only, no carrier." Well, that would mean she heard him, but not through the radio...

Re: Piss match...NOT

dsee8driver said:
DMS...I think you should read the AIM under communications and phraseology. You yourslef say it should be November 12345, well guess what ATC can and will shorten it to N345 and it's perfectly legal.. Maybe ATCER can add to this ....

Thanks for the info. I wasn't saying that what they do is wrong in the sense that against std. op procedures, but it is just weird. It's like taking out the middle two numbers. What if there is an actual N345 and an N12345 both flying at the same airport? (Please don't answer---a rhetorical question only.)

Anyway, I meant to say airport advisory before, not traffic advisory. The part that annoys me is that some pilots can't figure out which runway to land on without getting one...even when the airport has awos and/or people flying around in the pattern making their appropriate announcements.

I was thinking "Chicago Approach, N12345 level at 5000, with you" sounds a little better than "checking in at 5000" because the with-you part is more like a greeting, and although both are unnecessary, "checking in" is also dorky/corny-sounding. If you find both equally annoying or equally unannoying then you are entitled to feel that way, I'm not disputing anything.

While flying around in my little C172, I've never said either to ATC. I don't have any right to critique airline or other prof. pilots, but when a GA pilot flying a Warrior or whatever says either of those phrases, I think it is just pointless and dumb-sounding.

I think Typhoon's idea is a good alternative if you feel compelled to add extra words on the radio.

It's all relative

All you guys that get upset with the "xxx checking In", and "xxx with you" calls need to log some time in a multi-engine jet with a student that has maybe 120 hours total time. I can't begin to describe how bad the radio calls from students can be, especially since the Instructor handles about 95% of the radio calls as the PNF.

Biggest pet peeve: Center gives a radio call to us and my stud has to practice the radio call in his or her head for a minute so they don't dork it up. By the time he has the radio call down in his head, Memphis is calling again. By the time the student keys the mic, he forgot what he was going to say and lets out an extended "UUUUHHHHHGGGGG....while he collect his thoughts once more and reengages Memphis with someone elses Callsign, and reads back the incorrect frequency." :eek:

If nothing else, this job has taught me to be patience and understanding. So the next time a guy "Checks in" or gives a "with you", please think of all those poor IPs out there that experience my example daily.

Here's one of the worst calls from a student and a great comeback from Memphis as told by one of my fellow IPs:

18 miles from the entry point of a low level route still at 16K feet. The student realizes he is in a jam and needs to get down now.

SP (in an excited voice): "Memphis Center, Callsign XX, requesting your lowest altitude EVER."

Mem Ctr (with a fatherly tone in his voice): "Callsign XX, I could give you Sea Level, but you're not gonna like it." :)

Welcome to my world.

Yahtz

I cnat believe nobody has mentioned...

Regional Approach: Cessna 12345, say intentions?
Student Pilot: Yes, I am wanting to become an airline pilot!

More Humorous...
Approach: Mooney 12345, sir, you are number two behind a SW 73 with an American MD90 5 miles in trail. Best speed to the marker please sir!
Mooney Pilot: Yes sir, how about 150 to the fence? But I doubt we will be able to make the first turnoff!

Re: It's all relative

Yahtzee said:
I can't begin to describe how bad the radio calls from students can be...
I had this one student, a young lady who couldn't get it into her head that a degree of formality was required in aviation communications...

VRB Tower: "Cherokee Three-One-Victor, number two behind a Seminole on a two-mile final, cleared for the option runway one-one-right."

31V: "Okay."

That wasn't the worst, though. The worst was when I sent her ona solo from Vero Beach to Fort Pierce...a flight of about two minutes, for those of you who aren't familiar. They're right next to each other. I'd flown the trip with her a dozen times.

She gets to the end of the runway, does a very careful run-up, then says: "Tower, Cherokee Three-One-Victor, ready for takeoff at runway four. Which way do I go to go to Fort Pierce?"

[Sigh.] Well, we all have to learn somehow.

Oh, one more pet peeve. You captains ever had a first officer who made editorial comments on the radio without giving you the benefit of screening them?

ELP ground: "Hey Connection, got time for a question?"

My F/O: "Sure."

ELP ground: "Are you guys replacing that 727 that used to come in here?"

My F/O: "Yeah, now that they got their new contract, they can't afford that anymore."

Me (on interphone): "Doh! Don't say that on the radio, you jerk!"

ms6073 said:
I cnat believe nobody has mentioned...

Regional Approach: Cessna 12345, say intentions?
Student Pilot: Yes, I am wanting to become an airline pilot!

I heard that one when I was @ a 141 in Oklahoma. That was almost a classic there.

I was flying back from Nashville the other night and when I had to change over to Alanta Center... believe it or not... when I switched frequencies there was a conversation between a pilot and the controller - it lasted about a minute, literally.. by the time the conversation was over I knew the guys life from the past 5 years. So when I finally got my chance I said "Mark good evening Navajo 100XR level 8000" he came back and asked me how I knew his name... I couldn't believe it

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back